Yet another interminable tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ManofLard

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I know barely a day goes by without someone asking about tyres, but of course, everyone is different, rides different bikes over different terrain, etc, etc.

Question: will going for a robust, puncture-resistant tyre on my Spesh road bike be a massive compromise?

My situation is this. I'm just the wrong side of 16 stone - getting cycling was instrumental in getting down from 19 stone - and cycle mainly for fitness, commuting from time to time (22 miles each way) and the VERY occasional sportive (disclosure: I'm doing RideLondon at the end of this month). I am not, in any way, a speed demon.

My riding is 100% on tarmac, split between crappy potholed urban roads and less crappy ones out in the sticks. And I hate punctures.

I'm looking at Schwalbe Marathon Plus in a 700x25 to replace the original Espoir tyres that came with my bike. Some reviews tell me it'll be like putting tank treads on my bike; heavy, tough to get moving, energy-sapping, etc, etc.

Will it really be that bad? Are standard (non-plus) Marathons any better? Or, given the type of cyclist I am, am I worrying over nothing?

All views welcome.

outlash

also available in orange
Marathon +'s are your standard bombproof touring/commuting tyre and performs as much. Heavy, slow draggy tyres but you won't get a puncture. Given the riding you're doing, I think you could go for something a little more 'sporty' with the Durano range. I'm very impressed with my standard versions, but I don't commute on my bikes. You might want to look at the '+' models to give yourself more protection.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Durano plus is my recommendation. I sometimes ride M+ and can possibly tell the difference, but maybe I'm kidding myself. I'm rather insensitive to most changes on the bike.

I'm fairly heavy, 90 something kilos (dunno what that is in stone) and touch wood, punctures are very infrequent on my D+

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
And another Durano Plus vote here. I've had one flat on them, ever, and I think that was a valve fail rather than a puncture per se, in 000s of miles.

OP
OP
M

ManofLard

Thanks everyone for your replies - a set of Durano Pluses are heading my way. Especially as I had another sodding puncture on my ride this afternoon!:angry:

Top Bottom