Yet another near miss (stupid driver)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pulled out to the right from the following side road today. Rather than wait for all the traffic to clear, I pulled out as a car was indicating to go left into the road I was leaving (i.e.- Marlborough Road). The guy in the car behind him decided to over take him and acceleate as the other car was turning. Thus, I found myself in the middle of the road with a car accelerating toward me and only just made it out of the way with the bloody driver waving his hands at me to get out the way.

I just could not believe he was accelerating so fast. Surely he would have seen me waiting at the junction.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh dear, a mistake to make. Done that myself once, but I was in a car. Rusult = bent front wing. You just can't trust what others will do, so never pull out unless totally clear.

snorri

Legendary Member
Pulled out to the right from the following side road today. Rather than wait for all the traffic to clear, I pulled out as a car was indicating to go left into the road I was leaving
I'm not inclined to pull out on these occasions, the left turn indication may mean the driver intends to park at the roadside immediately after the junction, and not turn in at all. Although the overtaker was a bit reckless too.

Done it myself, so understandable, but I have also pulled out because a car was indicating to turn, but he didn't follow the indicated signal and drove straight at me while I tried to cross a road - perhaps he didn't realise his indicator was on.

Since then I have taken note of the highway code and ignored ANY signalling to me (flashes to cross, car indicators etc.) unless I can see it is completely safe to do so without needing the 'help' of a considerate driver. I have got some some 'sod you then, I was trying to help' type looks, but I haven't had a heart in mouth moment since.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Pulled out to the right from the following side road today. Rather than wait for all the traffic to clear, I pulled out as a car was indicating to go left into the road I was leaving (i.e.- Marlborough Road). The guy in the car behind him decided to over take him and acceleate as the other car was turning. Thus, I found myself in the middle of the road with a car accelerating toward me and only just made it out of the way with the bloody driver waving his hands at me to get out the way.

I just could not believe he was accelerating so fast. Surely he would have seen me waiting at the junction.

Thats normal driver behaviour on that part of shirley. I've had angry, pissey drivers waving at me like a Joy Division dance just for being on that road.

I wouldnt have pulled out there myself, by hindsight is a wonderful thing... still, the driver shouldnt have overtaken, the road is too narrow up there, and too many pedestrians (several people get knocked down up there a year). My experiences are that driving standards are poor in the area and I often see driver blasting through the red light HERE

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Thats normal driver behaviour on that part of shirley. I've had angry, pissey drivers waving at me like a Joy Division dance just for being on that road.

I wouldnt have pulled out there myself, by hindsight is a wonderful thing... still, the driver shouldnt have overtaken, the road is too narrow up there, and too many pedestrians (several people get knocked down up there a year). My experiences are that driving standards are poor in the area and I often see driver blasting through the red light HERE

Shirley on the whole I kinda agree but that road is so straight that taking the primary downhill is normally quite doable without pissing off the drivers behind. The real problem with that road though is the number of traffic islands. Far too many pinch points for my liking. I've almost been clipped a couple of times by drivers overtaking me on several of them.

The worst incident I've experienced involved a bus near the bottom of London road. One of the bloody bluestar double decker buses overtook me here as I was passing the traffic island! We were both waiting at the lights near the Giddy Bridge. When the lights changed I went in front of him, going South toward town and the bugger pushed me into the side of the road but somehow I managed to stay on the bike. Had to brake hard though.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i had a bus pull out of a side road in front of me last night. he saw me but just carried on, didn't give a toss. funny thing was... i was in the car !!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
i had a bus pull out of a side road in front of me last night. he saw me but just carried on, didn't give a toss. funny thing was... i was in the car !!!!

At least you can sit there on a twin air horn and stick the headlamps on full............ (which my car is good for)

I hated my cars that came with the weedy 'beep's......... :tongue:

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I never trust indicators - the driver might have left it on by accident, or might change their mind at the last minute.

Ah but the thing with this incident is I'd judged the speed of the car in front and pretty much knew I could get past him even if he didn't turn and carried straight on.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There's a French warning sign that says

un-train-peut-en-cacher-un-autre--2-.jpg

A train may hide another one behind it

Refined for cyclists, it should read: ''Un idiot peut en cacher un autre''

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
There was the mistake.........

We've all done it once, in a car or a bike.......

I wouldn't say that was a mistake I made though. I mean you don't expect to see a car driving toward you on the wrong side of the road when you make such manoeuvres.

The car in front used their indicators correctly and turned into the side road. The car behind overtook him just before he made the turn and I found myself almost in the middle of the road with a car accelerating toward me that wasn't supposed to be there. I mean just look at the map, there's also a traffic island just after the junction, which shows how stupid this driver was to overtake the car.

dand_uk

Glad I'm not the only one to think that the standard of driving in Southampton leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of aggresive driving, everyone in a hurry to join the next traffic queue, no respect for speed limits.

Sorry to hear of your near miss mate, put it behind you and get back on the road.

Might start a petition for a mandatory driving test to be taken every 5 years

timbstoke

Been there, done that. On a motorcycle, not a bike though. No collision, but evasive action left the bike on the floor, and the driver looking sheepish until I'd picked it up and gotten out of the way. In hindsight, I should have a) realised that there are a larger than usual number of idiots on that part of the road, especially at rush hour, and b) left the bike on the floor until I'd gotten the blokes insurance details.

Moral is the same though - people on the roads will think nothing of killing you to shave 5 seconds off their journey time. That sounds ridiculous but when you think about it, that is exactly the situation - drivers will happily take a risk that, if it doesn't pay off, will leave you dead, just because they get to the next set of lights a few seconds earlier if they get away with it.

Top Bottom