Yet another new (to us) scam.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I wouldnt pay then either. 2 Grand dont make me laugh. He is not worth that much.:laugh:

Keep him he owns me £3k in heating and taxi bills!!

Gwylan

Veteran
Another one, quite clever.

HID orders a photo book, pays with credit card on our joint account.

Next thing I get a very good looking text message "from the bank" telling me there is a problem with this payment. I should, must, ring an 0300 number.

My mobile is the one registered to the account.
I'm a troubled and suspicious soul.

I text a reply to the effect that they can go forth.
Get a response that says they cannot understand my message
Next I get a very good looking email to the recently changed email address.
Very plausible. Just click the link and this will be sorted.

Forward the email to the bank's scam mail box.

Now the phone starts ringing warning me that the end of the world is next if I don't do what they tell me.
My response is in a similar vein.

In the meantime my wife phones the bank and gets answered on the third ring. That is suspicious! But it was the bank security and they were on it.

Worries me how the scammers knew the email and the mobile numbers.
Flurry of changed passwords and key phrases etc.

Well, I have a story from the other perspective.
Last year I lost my phone while on the other side of the world and with it access to all my online accounts.
It took a couple of days to get access to my (Hotmail) email, 10 months to get access to my Google account and setting up my new phone (and number) for internet banking took several days.
Having lost all my contacts I set up a new Facebook account and set about messaging important folk to update them on what happened. It took some convincing!
One friend in particular, with whom I had left cash for such an emergency, was very sceptical as to my real identity until we actually spoke.

Top Bottom