Yet Another Newbie Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
You probably had a bit of rub from brakes or mudguard. It's always worth checking before you go out that the wheels are not rubbing by lifting each off the ground and giving it a bit of a spin. You quickly see if there's anything rubbing and be able to fix it.

nickAKA

Über Member
We all have days we don't fancy it, just take some time off when it bites and don't beat yourself up about it. I went for a run (I know!) with the wife last night because I couldn't face the turbo; went out on the bike with a couple of mates today and really enjoyed it, back into the groove.

12boy

Guru
You have managed in the crap part of the year and very soon you will get to the point you will tell yourself I don't feel right today and realize it is because you haven't had your bike medicine yet. And it is all even better in the spring. Having said that, it is best here in the fall. You will see. Oh, and as you get more proficient and spend less time worrying about riding, use that freedom to develop your situational awareness to avoid accidents. For example, when passing a car be aware that the driver can open the door right in your face, so approach the car with that in mind.

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

Hi Everyone

Just checking in with a bit of a progress update. So, since Christmas my cycling has only been the commute to and from work twice or three times a week (even then, I avoided the icy mornings). Not the hardest thing in the world as I work 1.2 miles from home! Still, I've seen a little improvement in my ability as the weeks have gone on, and while I'm not going to say the hills are "easy" they do fill me with less and less dread.

Today, however, I took advantage of the (honestly, suspiciously good) weather we're having and went on my first proper bike ride for fun. I managed 7.7miles in all, Strava telling me that my moving time was just over an hour and I was out of the house for and hour and a half all told. I kept stopping to take photographs of the lovely scenery, and also stopped for a coffee and a refuel (that's the cycling law, right?) at Elsecar Heritage Centre, which was nice. The going was a mix of country roads, and off-road bridleways. I hadn't planned to go that far but I was having fun and the weather was nice. I was ready for home by the end though and feeling a little saddle sore. That's the longest time I've spent on a bike so far.

I honestly surprised myself at how far I went and also how much I enjoyed it. When I think back to the first time on my bike and I had to stop for a drink and a rest about 4 minutes in!

The steed could do with a bit of clean now as there was a but of mud in places but that's a job for tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going to reward myself with a G & T or two.

Onwards and upwards.

tom73

Guru
Sounds like your going just fine. It is surprising how you get to the point of not noticing your distance when you're enjoying yourself. Nice part of the world too on a day like this.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Hi Everyone

Just checking in with a bit of a progress update. So, since Christmas my cycling has only been the commute to and from work twice or three times a week (even then, I avoided the icy mornings). Not the hardest thing in the world as I work 1.2 miles from home! Still, I've seen a little improvement in my ability as the weeks have gone on, and while I'm not going to say the hills are "easy" they do fill me with less and less dread.

Today, however, I took advantage of the (honestly, suspiciously good) weather we're having and went on my first proper bike ride for fun. I managed 7.7miles in all, Strava telling me that my moving time was just over an hour and I was out of the house for and hour and a half all told. I kept stopping to take photographs of the lovely scenery, and also stopped for a coffee and a refuel (that's the cycling law, right?) at Elsecar Heritage Centre, which was nice. The going was a mix of country roads, and off-road bridleways. I hadn't planned to go that far but I was having fun and the weather was nice. I was ready for home by the end though and feeling a little saddle sore. That's the longest time I've spent on a bike so far.

I honestly surprised myself at how far I went and also how much I enjoyed it. When I think back to the first time on my bike and I had to stop for a drink and a rest about 4 minutes in!

The steed could do with a bit of clean now as there was a but of mud in places but that's a job for tomorrow. Tonight, I'm going to reward myself with a G & T or two.

Onwards and upwards.
Keep those pedals turning, the miles just slip away while you’re having fun.

nickAKA

Über Member
Apropos of nothing, I've just had a week over near Malaga visiting my sister; my BiL has had use of my gravel bike over there for the last 12 months but has thus far used it purely indoors on zwift so I decided it was time to get him out on the road.
Hired a road bike for me for a couple of days and dragged him up the (beautiful) coast road - 20 miles 1st day, 23 miles in the opposte direction the 2nd. He's been putting the time in on the trainer so fitness wasn't an issue plus it's pretty much pancake flat, but guess what - he LOVES it. He's been out every day since, another 32 miles today on strava. He even did one of the more testing climbs yesterday that I use as a yardstick for fitness. A bit of confidence and whooooosh... works wonders!

Top Bottom