Yet Another Newbie Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

Had another small trip out. Managed 3.1km (with a couple of small stops) and the last few yards up the hill to my house almost killed me. But I did it.

Its 2.km to my place of work so I'm confident that if I get out plenty between now and January I should be able to start commuting from the first day back after Christmas hols.

Bit of a note on the back side pain. It was still there this morning and when I first set off I thought I'd have to stop and go back home, but weirdly I forgot about it after a while. Then remembered it, then forgot again. Getting up off the saddle periodically really helped.

Just make sure your bike fit is correct if you haven't done so already. Once you build up your distance you could demotivate yourself if it starts becoming too uncomfortable.
There's loads of videos on YouTube on how to do this. I tell folk it takes roughly 100 miles of tweaking and adjusting to get the fit just so.

What I would also advise if funds can stretch is a bike computer with HRM. Starting to see just how quickly your heart recovery quickens is a great motivator.

Though not a great time of year to start your cycling adventure just get out little and often. It all adds up.

Enjoy

icowden

Veteran
Also, adjust your bike to fit you. I get back pain if I'm too bent forward and favour a more upright position, so I have my handlebars quite high. I also adjusted by seat forward as I'm fairly short of body. Fiddle about until you find the comfiest position.

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

Also, adjust your bike to fit you. I get back pain if I'm too bent forward and favour a more upright position, so I have my handlebars quite high. I also adjusted by seat forward as I'm fairly short of body. Fiddle about until you find the comfiest position.

Yeah, I'm thinking of nudging the seat forward a little (if I can work out how to do it). I'm not even sure if I can raise the handlebars?

nickAKA

Über Member
Yeah, I'm thinking of nudging the seat forward a little (if I can work out how to do it). I'm not even sure if I can raise the handlebars?

The saddle adjustment is done with two socket head cap screws underneath the saddle, probably 6mm hex key, possibly 8mm? The handlebars look like they're on spacers on the stem so if they're at the top already it might require 'surgery' to raise them.

icowden

Veteran
The handlebars should have a hex bolt in the centre of the stem. You undo that and can then rearrange the handlebars and spacers. The only tricky bit is tightening it all back up and ensuring that the handlebars are still centred on the wheel. I found that clamping the wheel between my legs then tightening it up to about 90%, then final adjustment and tighten worked well. If there are no pacers above the handlebars then they are already at the top.

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

The saddle adjustment is done with two socket head cap screws underneath the saddle, probably 6mm hex key, possibly 8mm? The handlebars look like they're on spacers on the stem so if they're at the top already it might require 'surgery' to raise them.

Thanks, I'll probably have a go at the saddle at the weekend.

I have no spacers above the handlebar on the stem I don't think so it looks like they are already as high as they can go.

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

Actually, having another look there does seem to be another spacer on the top of the stem so I might be good to go on lifting the bars a little. However, the manual does say that this should be adjusted by the retailer only? If so, no problem I'll just mention it when I take it back for its 4 week service.

Boon 51

Veteran
Getting the bike to fit you is halve the battle.. :okay:

nickAKA

Über Member
Actually, having another look there does seem to be another spacer on the top of the stem so I might be good to go on lifting the bars a little. However, the manual does say that this should be adjusted by the retailer only? If so, no problem I'll just mention it when I take it back for its 4 week service.

They should do that for you, it's a 2-minute job... you just have to be careful not to overtighten the stem cap which is probably why they recommend a mechanic does it, it's not difficult in itself.

icowden

Veteran
The other half of the battle is with the part of you that goes "it's raining, it's cold, a taxi sounds nice...". Once you get started, the rain and cold isn't so bad.
The only time I tend to quit is if it is very icy/ snowy. I don't bounce as well as I used to.

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

They should do that for you, it's a 2-minute job... you just have to be careful not to overtighten the stem cap which is probably why they recommend a mechanic does it, it's not difficult in itself.

I'll definitely mention it. I think at the moment I feel like there's too much of my weight on the handlebars and it doesn't feel especially safe going downhill. I think a higher bar will shift the weight back a little?

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

The other half of the battle is with the part of you that goes "it's raining, it's cold, a taxi sounds nice...". Once you get started, the rain and cold isn't so bad.
The only time I tend to quit is if it is very icy/ snowy. I don't bounce as well as I used to.

Ha! At the moment the battle is between me a cream cakes! Fortunately I'm winning so far....

I have absolutely no intentions of going out in the ice or snow. I'm not terribly stable on two legs, never mind two wheels.

icowden

Veteran
I'd have thought so. That's why I raised mine. I don't like being too far forward. It just doesn't feel "right" to me. Everyone has their own preferences :-).
I also found that after I'd been cycling for a few weeks I liked the saddle higher. I now ride so that my legs feel like they are extending when I pedal (i.e. feet no longer touch the floor - I come forward off the seat when stopping).

OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

I'd have thought so. That's why I raised mine. I don't like being too far forward. It just doesn't feel "right" to me. Everyone has their own preferences :-).
I also found that after I'd been cycling for a few weeks I liked the saddle higher. I now ride so that my legs feel like they are extending when I pedal (i.e. feet no longer touch the floor - I come forward off the seat when stopping).

Thats how I'm set up now in regard to saddle. I slide forward when stopping and straddle the tube. That took a bit of practice to do without stumbling over. I am planning to slide the saddle forward slightly as well once I can find a clear youtube vid..

Top Bottom