Yet another newbie....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Hi Andy,

So I put a smile on your face. That's good, but then I did say people would laugh.. ;)

It's okay my friend, I know what you meant and I don't mind folk laughing with me anytime. :biggrin:

Regards
John

John, if I'm still on my bike at your age, I'll be smiling every day! Have you got any choices for you unspecific requirements? Surely there'll be lots of bikes about with that spec
whistling.gif

I did have a look but I've not come across anything, the closest I've found is a flat-bar Bianchi (I'm assuming you're style conscious), or you could go down the build your own route - just don't spray the frame blue and orange!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just to say, hallo and welcome :biggrin:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Right, John. How about getting one of these Ribbles - British brand (frames made elsewhere nowadays), they'll take full mudguards and have a 50/34 front chainset with a 13/29 rear cassette, then buy these Campag flatbar shifters and a bar, sell the original parts on the forum. Or Ribble might be able to build you a flat bar bike instead. Obviously the gearing isn't a triple but a 34/29 bottom gear should give you a gear of roughly 32 inches going by the CTC table.

Just a thought!

OP
OP
Dunbar

Dunbar

Über Member
Thanks HJ and Hi to you,
Seems I did come to the right place here then. Very friendly site and I feel quite at home. :thumbsup:

To Monster... (Andy)

One of those Ribbles would fit the bill, with flat bars maybe (If that didn't spoil the look!)
My biggest worry is if I realise I just can't manage to ride with this tin knee, would a Ribble hold a resale value. Mind you my son keeps threatening to get back on a bike!

Naturally, I would not buy a bike from Asda, and even Halfords could be suspect these days. But I think Birmingham still a few bike shops.

All in all though, I think it will be a decent second-hand bike to start with; one that I can try before I buy!
But I do like the specs on the Ribbles and I bookmarked the site Andy so thanks for that.

Regards.

John :smile:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Love the story - fascinated by your old '64 bike.

Yes, there are some bike shops in Birmingham of variable quality and reputation. There are a few of us Brummies (or 'recent' immigrants, i.e. from outside the West Midlands within the last 50 years) to give you advice.

Decent second hand is a good idea. There are so many options these days and the only way to find out what you want is to give them a go.

OP
OP
Dunbar

Dunbar

Über Member
Love the story - fascinated by your old '64 bike.

Yes, there are some bike shops in Birmingham of variable quality and reputation. There are a few of us Brummies (or 'recent' immigrants, i.e. from outside the West Midlands within the last 50 years) to give you advice.

Decent second hand is a good idea. There are so many options these days and the only way to find out what you want is to give them a go.

Hi Jim,

Pleased to meet you. Glad you liked the story. (Is that the 'about Me page?) it's just a bitta fun really, but part true on the Arthur Righteous front!

Looking at a 'Muddy' whatsit mountain bike tonight as it happens. And I found a Raleigh Pioneer in Brum Centre!

John :thumbsup:

Top Bottom