Yet another positioning question

what would you do?

• a) filter down to the ASL along the very narrow filter lane at walking pace.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • b) join the back of the left hand lane where you would probably miss the next green phase.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • c) join the back of the right hand lane

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dand_uk

Hello,

So put yourself in my position. You are approaching a signal controlled crossroads which takes about 1-2mins between green phases from the direction you are coming from. The road you approach the crossroads along splits into two lanes for the queue at the lights. On the left hand side is a filtered lane leading to an ASL which is narrower than your handlebar width and the two traffic lanes are just slightly wider than your average sized car. The left hand lane is signed left and straight on, the right hand lane is signed right and straight on. You are going straight over after which the road narrows to one lane.

As you approach the junction there is a queue of 10 cars in the left lane and 2 in the right. Do you:

a) filter down to the ASL along the very narrow filter lane at walking pace.
b) join the back of the left hand lane where you would probably miss the next green phase.
c) join the back of the right hand lane

Guess which one I did which promptly annoyed WVM. Am I breaking any rules?

You did c - and he was "annoyed"he didn't think of it
Depends on a lot of things - are cars in left lane indicating - how fast do you cycle - are you in a hurry - but if you are in the lane to go straight on and you go straight on I can't really see the issue

OP
OP
D

dand_uk

Hi TC

Yeah I did C, not in a particular rush since the lights were red and would be for a while. None of the cars in the left hand lane were indicating to move right and i passed on the right at a speed were I would be able to stop if someone pulled out without looking. I was stopped in the centre of the RH lane for a while behind two cars when WVM pulls up behind me and gives me a toot and a shout of something like "you should be blah blah blah".

Lights go green, I go straight on, cycling at the same speed as the traffic until they reach the back of the next queue. Not sure what his problem was

There wasn't a problem - apart from an idiot driving a white van - I'm "lucky" in that i'm 6 3 and 17 stone - in situations like that I find blowing them a kiss and telling them I fancy them is the best remedy... that or get off your bike and inspect the back of your bike as if they were beeping to tell you you had a flat...

If you don't know, join the queue of the lane that you intend to use.

I don't see the problem with being in the right to go straight on - I see enough cars pile into the left "straight" only lane, leaving and empty right straight+right lane, yes you have to merge - but that shouldn't be a problem.

Should there not be a D, ignore the feeder lane and filter down the middle, if the I had seen lights change to red I would have done that but given the imbalanced queues I use the right hand lane more. If I hadn't seen the lights or the path is awkward to the ASL if its a flat or downhill start, no headwind etc I'd stay in the right lane and join the back but if I couldn't get away quickly I'd expect hassle from some twerp like your WVM and I'd merge into the left lane from the right. Traffic patterns may also influence my decision, large numbers of Left or Right turners, how easy it would be for me to return to the inside lane down the line, etc. I hope that make sense but basically I'd play it by ear (so as to speak).

If I was sure of the light phasing and there was time to filter to the ASL, I would also choose D.

Otherwise I would 'B', maybe missing the next green, but then definitely getting a chance to filter safely to the ASL on the next red.

Doesn't mean any of the choices are wrong tbh.

B

I'm generally in no hurry so unless the queue is very long I'm happier sat in a good primary behind other traffic than squeezing up a poorly laid out cycle lane and ASL......

smavter

I love reading this forum, as I'll be moving to the UK at the end of this year and still intend on cycling everywhere. In Amsterdam I would take the inferior position because I know that drivers always take consideration of cyclists. We have a "sharkteeth" system on the road that dictates when you have to give priority as cars and cyclists often have the same traffic lights to adhere to. To give an example;

My link

When the shark teeth point towards you, you have to stop and give priority, whether the lights are green or not. Cyclists have a separate set of traffic lights that usually coincide with the lights of cars, But, the cars stop at the sharkteeth when they see a cyclist about to pass.

Often, when I see incidents posted here I don't think it's the car driver's fault. No matter how much you change the infrastructure to suit cyclists, it's a case of teaching people how to drive. In the Netherlands, if you hit a cyclist its always 100% fault of the driver, unless the cyclist admits that it was their fault, and then it is still 50% liability of the driver.

And ofcourse cyclists have to stick to the rules!

edit: i still have my fair share of incidents, but it's never my fault!

OP
OP
D

dand_uk

I had another tw@t on the same road today, this time after the junction where the road narrows and this time in a BMW. I'm in primary as it's too narrow for a safe pass. I know just ahead will be a queue but of course BMW idiot does not think ahead. Beep and close pass ensues and BMW idiot stays ahead of me for approx 10-20 seconds before I pass him on the right as he's stuck in the queue.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Top Bottom