Yet another rant against cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Perhaps you could write to the Editor of the paper, linking in your reply, and asking him if he's brave enough to publish it in reply to her blog entry?

I'm already forumatling a reply to send to their sunday letters. Bit disappointed with the TG as I quite like that paper. If others send a letter/email, then please keep it civil, check your facts and maybe we can win some more people over with the low fuel cost argument :smile:

The replies support the columnist's contention that cyclists live in a fantasy world. You blather on about her supposedly contradicting herself, which she didn't (she never said she didn't see her), when the key phrase was "she swerved into the middle of my lane without signalling", which no-one has mentioned. Don't you think that was rather a stupid thing for a cyclist to do? But, of course, the inhabitants of cycleworld are never stupid. Or selfish, or rude, or dangerous, or childish.

A friend of mine who still cycles regularly (and does so properly) told me that when he has had problems it's generally not from car drivers, but from other cyclists.

Jezston

Über Member
I'm sorry, but what's the deal with someone creating a new account to post rants against members of the forum, and in the other case digging up a six month old thread to do so?

Mind explaining your agenda, OldFashionedCyclist?

And in reply to the author of the column. So she's the daughter of some rich tory MP, and married to Piers Morgan. Clearly the kind of privileged self entitled posho that write such columns for the Mail group papers, having never done a hard days work in their life but yet still going on about scroungers and immigrants. True scum.

atbman

Veteran
Curiously enough, for an article of this kind, the majority of the reader responses are anti-Walden.

And why does this woman think that cyclists go round la-la-ing to Sacha Distel? Is this something exclusive to London cyclists

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Curiously enough, for an article of this kind, the majority of the reader responses are anti-Walden.

And why does this woman think that cyclists go round la-la-ing to Sacha Distel? Is this something exclusive to London cyclists

A roundabout way of calling them gay? :huh:

U

User482

Almost by her own admission, this "journalist" is berating someone younger, prettier, fitter, faster and better-dressed.

It's just jealousy.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that Celia Walden describing others as 'preening' and 'upper-middle class' is a bit rich....

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
Perhaps you could write to the Editor of the paper, linking in your reply, and asking him if he's brave enough to publish it in reply to her blog entry?

GilesM

Legendary Member
Generally a right old load of bollocks, but she did write this in the article:

"up there as they are on the moral high ground with their officially endorsed sense of righteousness"

Can't help thinking she may have a point with that line.

Generally a right old load of bollocks, but she did write this in the article:

"up there as they are on the moral high ground with their officially endorsed sense of righteousness"

Can't help thinking she may have a point with that line.

Don't fall for it. And it's a bit rich. Twunts like her make the mistake of confusing our sense of outrage at being treated like crap with self-righteousness. It isn't, it's plain old anger. It's driven by the daily threats posed by inept, aggressive drivers not by a sense of moral superiority. To phrase it like that is to demean it. Phrasing it like that allows her to justify her irrational hatred of cyclists. She can **** off.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Don't fall for it. And it's a bit rich. Twunts like her make the mistake of confusing our sense of outrage at being treated like crap with self-righteousness. It isn't, it's plain old anger. It's driven by the daily threats posed by inept, aggressive drivers not by a sense of moral superiority. To phrase it like that is to demean it. Phrasing it like that allows her to justify her irrational hatred of cyclists. She can **** off.

You could be right in this case, and fortunately for me I don't have the pleasure of cycling in London, but I've met enough self righteous cyclists over the years.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
You could be right in this case, and fortunately for me I don't have the pleasure of cycling in London, but I've met enough self righteous cyclists over the years.

I've only ever met about 2 that I can think of. I did put forward a different perspective to theirs when we chatted (eg dont jump off the kerb in front of cars).

I think most people are like us. A bit miffed that people can drive and ride with impunity and act like selfish c*cks. That safety is paramount.

U

User482

Some self-righteous people happen to be cyclists.

Top Bottom