Yikes ! Halfords Quality Control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I bought a cheapie Carrera Gryphon V Spec flat bar roadie from Halfords last week for £239.99 for use this winter.

I didn't have it made up (chose to do it myself after reading a few comments about the quality of the in-store assembly).

I purchased a pair of full mudguards and began installing them on Saturday

On removing the rear wheel I noticed all three bolts holding the mech hanger in place were loose, one was half way out at an angle with the screw head completely chewed up and had been squashed by the QR skewer nut. The QR skewer was also bent.

Went back to Halfords with the offending bolt for replacements, met by a few grunts by the bike techs, 'sorry mate we don't have any'

Anyhow, skewer now straightened and bolts ordered from ebay.

A letter to Halfords Head office will follow shortly claiming reimbursement of costs.

Attachments

• mech.jpg
    mech.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 234

Jezston

Über Member
Lut us know how you get on. That's pretty darn shoddy. Don't have any in stock? What is it they have on all those bikes, then? Cheeky buggers.

surfdude

Veteran
got a bike from them for my son and had to take it back 3 times back wheel fell off ,peddles fell off so did the front mech so think its standard helfords .its is a good little bike now its been sorted by lbs .

e-rider

crappy member
I bought a cheapie Carrera Gryphon V Spec flat bar roadie from Halfords last week for £239.99 for use this winter.

I didn't have it made up (chose to do it myself after reading a few comments about the quality of the in-store assembly).

I purchased a pair of full mudguards and began installing them on Saturday

On removing the rear wheel I noticed all three bolts holding the mech hanger in place were loose, one was half way out at an angle with the screw head completely chewed up and had been squashed by the QR skewer nut. The QR skewer was also bent.

Went back to Halfords with the offending bolt for replacements, met by a few grunts by the bike techs, 'sorry mate we don't have any'

Anyhow, skewer now straightened and bolts ordered from ebay.

A letter to Halfords Head office will follow shortly claiming reimbursement of costs.

that is the worst design for attaching the rear mech hanger that I've ever seen! It is kind-of to be expected on a £240 carrera bike from Halfords though. The production cost of such a machine will be in the region of £60 which includes the poor Chinamans labour!

Alemetc! I saw your opener on chat yesterday, but we didn't have time to respond before you left!

Sorry to hear of your problems with Halfords, but (and this will be of no consolation to you) never go to Halfords to buy a bike!

An LBS will be your best bet as the bike will be under a warranty with skilled and knowledgeable staff happy to help you. This will lead to a good rapport you develop with them.

Hope things will be straight forward now.

Happy riding!

Top Bottom