Yodel Suspends Collections Hitting Deliveries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
They are a bit like Halfords, every dissatisfied customer shouts their condemnation and every satisfied customer whispers their praise.
Very true.
Halfords have always been ok as well.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I had to switch from DPD to Yodel in October having been booted out of DPD due to my "traffic profile" I had to send more than 60% under 60cm which was impossible for me. They saw this coming and I think are going after Amazon business under 60cm. Brave move I was spending a lot of money with them, and they sent the same letter to loads of people with similar traffic profiles.

Yodel perform (up to the last 10 days) at a 5% lower strike rate on next working day delivery, IT is old hat but they were 20%+ less expensive.

10 years ago most carriers were equal and you could swap from one to another and get a better deal, you had to tell porkies about how much was consumer delivery now you practically have to beg for them to collect let alone slash prices. The networks are at full capacity the only sign of relief on the horizon is that there is a rumour that Amazon are looking to do their own parcel delivery network which will leave a lot of spare capacity.

bianchi1

Guru
Why not email PX and vent about Yodel?

I did after yodel shoved a 500 quid wheel set in a hedge by my house...no note through the door...nothing. I only discovered the sodden box after a week of unfounded hassling Planet X for no delivery.

Yodel said that I had signed for the wheels on the Friday evening....while I was at work 10 miles away.

Planet X were very good as ever and the fellow I spoke to seemed to share my worries about using yodel.

Dan B

Disengaged member
They are a bit like Halfords, every dissatisfied customer shouts their condemnation and every satisfied customer whispers their praise.
I wonder why this might be, and how it's different from businesses such as Abel & Cole or First Direct or even Wiggle which attract just the same volume of shouting yet where the satisfied customers seem somehow not to be ashamed to admit to it

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I wonder why this might be, and how it's different from businesses such as Abel & Cole or First Direct or even Wiggle which attract just the same volume of shouting yet where the satisfied customers seem somehow not to be ashamed to admit to it

now there's a company that delights at every turn.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yodel and My Hermes are both crap. My Herpes would be a better name.

albion

Guru
No problems with anyone up here.

They all look in a rush doing the best they can .
I sort of suspect that it is the more affluent areas where the workers do not care.

MarkF

Guru
Amazing! Their business model is available for everybody to see, their "self employed" couriers work for peanuts and under immense stress, and, some wonder why things just don't turn out tickety boo? It beats me.

It's a scummy industry that I won't use for personal purchases. Nor will I take in parcels for my neighbours, last year I was getting parcels every day leading up to Xmas, did I sign up to be the unpaid end deliverer of Yodels parcels?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
A friend of mine some years ago worked briefly for Parcel force: he told me that he was being given around 50 or 60 deliveries per day. And they tell you "don't come back until the van is empty".
It is the same situation with places like Yodel. The drivers are the ones who take all the crap trying to live up to unreasonable targets.
If someone isn't in they will always try to Palm the delivery off on a neighbour simply so they don't have to come back the next day.
I have had deliveries before at 9 or 10pm. Personally I feel sorry for the poor sods. And all for very average wages.

My brother works in the industry as a courier in London. He's one of the lucky ones because he had been in it for +15 years (he has no other qualifications and traffic warden is about all else he is qualified to do, he had tried getting qualifications but that's another story complicated by this one) which means he has a reputation and can work for a reasonable company who has set work at certain times of day with a guaranteed minimum number of items in a day, so he knows the minimum he will get paid for a day's work. He also gets an attendance allowance for turning up to work 6 days a week. This extra is what makes ems meet for him!

A considerable number of these delivery drivers are not being paid what it costs to cover even the fuel for the journey from the depot to the home/business and only make any money if they are able to drop off more than 1 parcel along the way. In cities this may work, may being the operative word. Where i live, it does not and it is not uncommon for my parcels to sit in their vehicle until they are driving through the area with enough other parcels to make it worthwhile financially. I can understand this and I sympathise with them. It is a cut throat business and if the £ you are being paid to deliver a package does not actually cover the cost of even the fuel to try 1 delivery (they are paid only for successful deliveries and by the number of them, not by the hour) why would you want to try repeated deliveries of you know that person is going to be out? Why would you not try to leave the parcel with a neighbour?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Amazing! Their business model is available for everybody to see, their "self employed" couriers work for peanuts and under immense stress, and, some wonder why things just don't turn out tickety boo? It beats me.

It's a scummy industry that I won't use for personal purchases. Nor will I take in parcels for my neighbours, last year I was getting parcels every day leading up to Xmas, did I sign up to be the unpaid end deliverer of Yodels parcels?

I always take in parcels for neighbours and they do for me. To do otherwise seems a bit miserable to me.

Top Bottom