Yoga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I keep hearing that Pilates is good. Is it possible to do at home? By which I mean are there good materials and can it be done without lots of input from an instructor?

I have zero time or money for a course.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I did yoga at home for several years and found it brilliant. I had a variety of books that I used and also one DVD. Of course that option is a bit rubbish if BTFB wants to see leotard-clad women but it might be worth getting a book/DVD from the library to see what sort of thing you might be doing.

The most notable thing I found with the yoga, apart from the improvement in overall body shape, was that I found it much easier to look over my shoulder in the car when reversing!

Madcyclist

I'm another Pilates addict, after years of lower back and pelvis problems Pilates has helped me to get my life back and get back on the bike.

I'd recommend the 'Body Control Pilates' book for practising at home, a swiss ball is also well worth the expense.

Madcyclist said:
I'm another Pilates addict, after years of lower back and pelvis problems Pilates has helped me to get my life back and get back on the bike.

I'd recommend the 'Body Control Pilates' book for practising at home, a swiss ball is also well worth the expense.

That's helpful, thanks. I'm already scooping as we speak - even such a little action helps. And we have a swiss ball left over from when LO was born.

CeeDee51

mr Mag00 said:
iyengar, that was the system i used to do, why would you not recommend it twentyinch? i found it brilliant and we werent pushed it was all at our own pace and the class had an enormous variaty of ability

I agree. I do Iyengar and have found it very beneficial. You do it at your own level and progress as your body dictates. Mr. Iyengar is 90 this year and still teaching!

Fiona N

Veteran
I'm another with experience of both yoga and Pilates. I feel rather like I do about recumbents and uprights - both good but very different.

The yoga style I did was Vinyasa, which is a rather more aerobic style as the emphasis is on moving - flowing - between the postures rather than slowly rearranging yourself after long periods in one posture, which was my (short) experience with Hatha and Iyengar. I found it was good for overall suppleness, especially in my back, and it developed quite a bit of upper body strength too. As I'm not someone who has problems relaxing, I find all the meditation & breathing stuff a bit of a waste of time but I think this is very teacher-dependent.

The Pilates ('Body Control'- style) classes I attend are very different with much more emphaisis on core strength & posture. They don't do anything for general suppleness or strength of other muscles, although again this is a function of these particular classes and if you could get to classes using equipment, like a Reformer, it would be very different as it is a whole body conditioning scheme. Unfortunately, it seems that Pilates is mainly taught as a core stability activity, based on mat work and maybe resistance band work. Few studios outside the cities have invested in the full suite of equipment that could make it a real rival to yoga.

Consequently I go to a class a week of each and practice fairly religiously (but sans God ;)) at home to get the maximum benefit.

I suspect that Wii practice may be fun but not a substitute for getting hands on instruction from a good teacher for either yoga or Pilates. It's fair to say that both can create problems if done incorrectly so it's probably best to at least find out the right way first.

Janeyb

I've just started Iyengar yoga classes having practiced at home for a while. It's great and a nice mixture of hard work and relaxation. I did Hatha yoga a few years ago which I also enjoyed but there seemed more relaxation in Hatha than Iyengar and it wasn't physical enough for me. As others have said a good teacher will stress that you take things at your own pace- in fact she sometimes stops us newbies doing certain postures as she doesn't want us to run before we walk.

I would thoroughly recommend it.

Top Bottom