England : North Yorkshire York - Humber Bridge - York

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would be great if you (and/or someone else local) could take a look at those TPT sections.
Will do. It'll be sometime after October when I get chance.

Say, after 25th March?
Sounds good.

I found THIS article
nice article. I've walked the length of the Wolds Way referenced in there; it's a lovely route.

According to the website map, you cannot cycle further west of the bridge than North Ferriby, where you are shunted north
I thought this was true. I certainly recall we ended up coming out of a wood onto the pebbled foreshore at that point and had to double back through the woods and find roads through North Ferriby, so we took it that this section was for walkers only. It could be that we just missed a turn, though I seem to recall the signs for the TPT were there even when we reached the foreshore.

@Slioch - do you know this section? Does is split in two here to give a foreshore walkers option and an inshore riding section, or did we just take a wrong turn?

Cheers.

Venod

Eh up
I havn't read all this thread but I have ridden the Humer Bridge route a number of times on the CX bike with 30mm Marathon Racer Tyres, I have attached a link of the 1st time I did it, I don't ride that route now, after Bloomfleet I stick to roads and cycle paths to the bridge, the track at the side of the river is not really suitable for cycling at one point I had to carry along the muddy foreshore

South of the bridge the route is rideable and in my opinion more interesting than the usual road route, it takes in Horkstow suspension bridge,( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horkstow_Bridge )
Scunthope is navigated on cycle paths then along the Keadby canal to Crowle then North with bit of off road past the old Peat Works to Goole its road. then back to Pontefract

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16372410

Slioch

Guru
@Slioch - do you know this section? Does is split in two here to give a foreshore walkers option and an inshore riding section, or did we just take a wrong turn?

Yes, I've done this section, and there are a couple of choices of route.

The first choice is the foreshore route. After leaving the bridge you follow the local roads on the east side of the bridge to reach the car parks next to the river. You then follow the road westwards along the shore and under the bridge. Where the tacmac ends at a pub/restaurant place, a track continues wedged between the foreshore and the railway all the way to North Ferriby. The track is unpaved, but has a firm base of what appears to be chalk/limestone. There should be no issues with this track in dry weather provided care is taken, but if the track is wet your bike gets covered in white sh*te and it can be a bit slippery.

The second choice to North Ferriby follows the route we used last week. where we came off the bridge, did a downhill clockwise sweep back under the bridge, and into the main car park area. We rode north through the carpark to reach the minor road, where we turned east for a short distance before heading north to Swanland.
Instead of turning east at this road, turn west to reach the roundabout on the A15. From here, there are cycle paths beside this busy & fast road which take you safely over the flyover over the A63, as far as the minor road that turns off south west from the A63 where there is a hotel marked on the map. This road then takes you into North Ferriby.

My understanding is that the TPT from Nrth Ferriby westwards is for walkers only. Cyclists need to make use of a cycle path alongside the A63 to Melton, & then on local roads to Welton, |Elloughton, and all points west.

Venod

Eh up
My understanding is that the TPT from Nrth Ferriby westwards is for walkers only. Cyclists need to make use of a cycle path alongside the A63 to Melton, & then on local roads to Welton, |Elloughton, and all points west.

Yes I agree ( see my post above ) about walkers only after North Ferriby, I have cycled both ways alongside the very busy A63 staying on the south side of the road so not having to pass through Welton.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I havn't read all this thread but I have ridden the Humer Bridge route a number of times on the CX bike with 30mm Marathon Racer Tyres, I have attached a link of the 1st time I did it, I don't ride that route now, after Bloomfleet I stick to roads and cycle paths to the bridge, the track at the side of the river is not really suitable for cycling at one point I had to carry along the muddy foreshore

South of the bridge the route is rideable and in my opinion more interesting than the usual road route, it takes in Horkstow suspension bridge,( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horkstow_Bridge )
Scunthope is navigated on cycle paths then along the Keadby canal to Crowle then North with bit of off road past the old Peat Works to Goole its road. then back to Pontefract

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16372410

Going over Horkstow Bridge looks much more interesting than the smelly A road into South Ferriby.

Any chance you could turn off the secret squirrel on the RidewithGPS link?

My understanding is that the TPT from Nrth Ferriby westwards is for walkers only. Cyclists need to make use of a cycle path alongside the A63 to Melton, & then on local roads to Welton,

Don't you mean from North Ferriby eastwards? Or am I being dim? If you do mean eastwards that would tally with @Afnug 's description of the muddy foreshore and my recollection of hitting the pebbled/mud foreshore at North Ferriby and then having to turn back and find road routes east to Hull.

Going over Horkstow Bridge looks much more interesting than the smelly A road into South Ferriby.
Yes, it's a nice route round by Horkstow Bridge and definately more pleasant than the A road route you would have taken into S Ferriby. I see @Afnug 's route also follows the diversion up Cliff Rd as it leaves South Ferriby - off the A1077 and towards the river as we had been discussing doing, although it looks like he opted for Far Ings Rd rather than following the gravel path right along the Humber.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I see @Afnug 's route also follows the diversion up Cliff Rd as it leaves South Ferriby - off the A1077 and towards the river as we had been discussing doing, although it looks like he opted for Far Ings Rd rather than following the gravel path right along the Humber.

This was a clockwise ride so the other way round from your description, I have ridden the gravel path you mention with no problems, another route I have ridden both ways is through Barton On Humber and over Horkstow Wolds, if your doing this on an anticlockwise route the climb from the B1204 onto the Wold is a tester.

if your doing this on an anticlockwise route the climb from the B1204 onto the Wold is a tester
I know that, mate - I do it virtually every Wednesday night. Still can't decide if Saxby or Danns is hardest. Woralby a bit more gradual, but ultimately they're all horrible! One of my sometime companions always beats the rest of our group to the top - on a single speed. The git.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Me and @EasyPeez rode over Horkstow Bridge today, which was fun.

We also tried the estuary side path from South Ferriby towards the Humber Bridge, which was not fun.

It's wide and bumpy to start with, which is wearing but doable, but it then becomes a narrow mud/grass track.

Might not be so bad in the dry, but it was a struggle for me today.

Once the shallow tread of my balloon tyres clogged with mud, I was left with very little traction.

@EasyPeez did a bit better on narrow road tyres, due in part to superior bike handling skills, but we both agreed the path is a lot less than ideal for a group ride.

Top Bottom