York Park & Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem an obvious fit elsewhere for it...

Mrs ND has recently seen how much I enjoy cycling and has taken the plunge and bought a hybrid. To get back into things, we're planning on tackling the "Solar Cycle" route near York http://www.york.ac.uk/solar/
It looks ideal for a steady ride at whatever pace suits and to get used to using gears, etc and building confidence as it's a flattish route on purpose built cycleways away from traffic.
Does anyone know if we'd be able to park at the P&R site at Askham Bar without actually using the bus service? I can see from their website that there are storage facilities for bikes there, but this appears to be for cyclists getting the bus into York. There is no mention of just parking there and then cycling off elsewhere...
If not, can anyone suggest a suitable secure-ish parking spot somewhere nearby?
Thanks in advance :smile:

SpaCyclist

I think by the letter of the terms and conditions, the car park is only for bus users. Whenever I have stopped there I have been taking the bus into York, and I have no idea if the regulation is enforced. There is another small car park for the Yorkshire Wildlife trust reserve at Askham Bog, just off the A64 before you get to the park and ride car park. Alternatively, the old park and ride car park is now pay and display, although you do have to pay if you want to use it .......

HTH:rolleyes:

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem an obvious fit elsewhere for it...

Mrs ND has recently seen how much I enjoy cycling and has taken the plunge and bought a hybrid. To get back into things, we're planning on tackling the "Solar Cycle" route near York http://www.york.ac.uk/solar/
It looks ideal for a steady ride at whatever pace suits and to get used to using gears, etc and building confidence as it's a flattish route on purpose built cycleways away from traffic.
Does anyone know if we'd be able to park at the P&R site at Askham Bar without actually using the bus service? I can see from their website that there are storage facilities for bikes there, but this appears to be for cyclists getting the bus into York. There is no mention of just parking there and then cycling off elsewhere...
If not, can anyone suggest a suitable secure-ish parking spot somewhere nearby?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Clue is in the thread title "park and ride" Sitting in a bus isnt really riding is it? Never heard anyone say "I think I will ride a bus to the shops tomorrow". By definition you are entitled to do what you plan to do. To deny you the right to park your car there and ride your bicycle instead of using their buses would be misrepresentation. Otherwise it should state "park and get on a bus to somewhere"

Cubist

Still wavin'
I rang and asked the staff last time I planned a ride out from York. They assured me riding is fine. When we got there I read one of the signs, which stated parking was free for persons continuing their journey by bus or bicycle. It's a superb facility, with toilets and loads of parking, absolutely ideal for meeting others and riding on from there.

Top Bottom