Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Just to keep my profile up to date, apart for Fleet Moss, what was the other three big hills called, the only reference to them is what Sarah was calling them, "Bastard Hill" and another "Bastard Hill" and another "Bastard Hill" before you get too ................

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just to keep my profile up to date, apart for Fleet Moss, what was the other three big hills called, the only reference to them is what Sarah was calling them, "Bastard Hill" and another "Bastard Hill" and another "Bastard Hill" before you get too ................
One was Dent station, one was from Arncliffe so I'd call that 'Arncliffe! ;)

I can't think of a 4th b*stard - weren't there only 3? If you look at the profile, the only other one must have been the climb up Kingsdale. I know we got to a pretty high elevation (about 475 m) but I don't remember it being that bad, just long? Perhaps it was bad but I didn't notice because my back pain hadn't really set in for the day at that point!

settle-hawes-profile.gif

evilclive

One was Dent station, one was from Arncliffe so I'd call that 'Arncliffe! ;)

I can't think of a 4th b*stard - weren't there only 3? If you look at the profile, the only other one must have been the climb up Kingsdale. I know we got to a pretty high elevation (about 475 m) but I don't remember it being that bad, just long? Perhaps it was bad but I didn't notice because my back pain hadn't really set in for the day at that point!

I'd count Kingsdale to the top as a proper hill, especially if you include the bit starting from Ingleton and ignore the slight descent into Kingsdale itself, though obviously it counts more if you do it from Dent. It's only easy compared to the others :-)

zacklaws

Guru
my gps logged a 27.7% max gradient. is this right?

The maximum grade that I logged was 22.4% and that was on the climb out of Arncliffe, but there again is my GPS correct.

The hill a few miles after Ingleton was the first "bastard" according to Sportstracks it was 3.66 miles long and a climb of 671 feet, it started gently then curved upwards steepily for just over a mile

But there again, I've just noticed there is that one from Ingleton itself which was 2 miles long and was a climb of 579 feet so in total the Ingleton climb was 6.64 miles long, climbing 1125 feet.

Attachments

• Cycle Chat 26-06-2011, Elevation - Distance.jpg
    Cycle Chat 26-06-2011, Elevation - Distance.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 73
What a ride you had! I have mixed feelings about not riding.

Had a great experience in the Yorkshire Dales the day before though and have written a few thoughts on my blog: My blog

Also a few photos of the gathering at the start (number 43-48): My photos

IMG_2960.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thanks for a good day out Colin and great to meet everyone. According to my Garmin download in Sportstracks, the ride took only 6hrs 50secs, but we was also stopped for 3hrs 47mins, if we cut the stops out we can have 100+ miles, more hills and more fun next time.
One can only do what one can do! I admit that in days gone by I would have probably averaged about 13-14 mph on that ride while moving, and would have stopped for maybe 1 hour in total, but I wasn't capable of riding much quicker this time round and had to take some of those breaks to ease my aching back and bum.

Yes, some of the stops could have been shorter. One or two were due to disorganisation - for example, getting too far ahead in Ingleton, and causing confusion in riders bringing up the rear who hadn't noticed which way we turned.

Whichever way you look at it though, the rides are always going to be slower than the fast riders could ride. I am currently pretty much the slowest rider, so you'd have to wait for me anyway, but what happens if/when I get really fit again? It wouldn't go down well if I started haring off and dropping most of the slower riders would it?

The rides are supposed to be very challenging for less fit riders, moderately challenging for quite fit riders and perhaps just sociable scenic touring rides for the really fit ones.

Anyone wanting to ride further and faster can always go and do fast hilly sportives, audax rides, club runs, races and time trials!

I wasn't super-fit in 2006 but I rode The Other Fleet Moss Randonée (a very hilly 200) in 10 hours including stops and another 16 miles to Halifax and back on top of that. That level of fitness would have translated to sub-6 hours for this Dales ride.

Maybe there is a place for fast forum rides, but it's no use me organising them at the moment because I wouldn't be able to keep up! There's nothing to stop you 'recycling' one of my routes (pun intended!) and cherry-picking a few fast forum riders to accompany you ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

What a ride you had! I have mixed feelings about not riding.

Had a great experience in the Yorkshire Dales the day before though and have written a few thoughts on my blog: My blog

Also a few photos of the gathering at the start (number 43-48): My photos

IMG_2960.JPG
Drat - I just typed a long comment for your blog and lost it! There is something about the blogspot site that my Opera browser doesn't get on with. I think I've had the same thing happen on trio25's blog when I forget to switch to Firefox to access it.

Oh well ... I just commented that you had a good ride on the Saturday and were probably sensible to take it easy on the Sunday.

I also agreed with you about the Forest of Bowland, and mentioned a forum ride I did to Slaidburn a couple of days ago.

Finally, I said that the old mill chimneys in Burnley are the kind of thing that Fred Dibnah did used to work on, but that he actually came from Bolton, 17 miles SW of Burnley.

Drat - I just typed a long comment for your blog and lost it! There is something about the blogspot site that my Opera browser doesn't get on with. I think I've had the same thing happen on trio25's blog when I forget to switch to Firefox to access it.

Oh well ... I just commented that you had a good ride on the Saturday and were probably sensible to take it easy on the Sunday.

I also agreed with you about the Forest of Bowland, and mentioned a forum ride I did to Slaidburn a couple of days ago.

Finally, I said that the old mill chimneys in Burnley are the kind of thing that Fred Dibnah did used to work on, but that he actually came from Bolton, 17 miles SW of Burnley.

Lovely, thank you Colin!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
That's an excellent idea Colin for the "encore" next year,

Is this ride (or something similar from Settle) 'on' this year ?

It was absolutely brilliant and pretty much mandatory participation :thumbsup: for all CC members.

It'd be great if another such ride was organised, with the same participants . . . especially, the (awesome) tandem of evilclive.

Over to you, ColinJ . . . . . . .

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Well, what a ride!

One again, my fellow CycleChatters made the ride special. These days, I never feel motivated to go and out do a ride that hard by myself.

Are we doing it again, this year ???

It was, an epic ride !!!

potsy

Rambler
If When I get fit enough, I'll organise a repeat of yesterday's ride and see if I can ride up everything. What's more, you can turn out for that one too. Don't worry though, I'm talking about this time next year! :thumbsup:

Well, are you fitter now nearly 12 months on? :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, are you fitter now nearly 12 months on? :whistle:
Unfortunately, as you know, I am not only not fitter, but I am also nursing a problem with my right leg that will seriously impact my ability to do long, hard rides in the future unless I can sort it out. I really do need to lose weight now. The strain of trying to cart 16+ stone over big northern hills is beginning to wear out various bits of my ageing body!

Weightloss alone might not be enough, but I'm not going to consider surgery until I've seen how I get on at a sensible weight.

potsy

Rambler
Unfortunately, as you know, I am not only not fitter, but I am also nursing a problem with my right leg that will seriously impact my ability to do long, hard rides in the future unless I can sort it out. I really do need to lose weight now. The strain of trying to cart 16+ stone over big northern hills is beginning to wear out various bits of my ageing body!

Weightloss alone might not be enough, but I'm not going to consider surgery until I've seen how I get on at a sensible weight.
Sorry, was just me being naughty :blush:
Let's hope we're both a bit lighter by the next time we meet :thumbsup:

Top Bottom