Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Just to confirm, I will be able to make this ride unless anything drastic happens in the mean time.

My car failed its test badly but it was repairable and the cost less than what I will save overall for my next car next year.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oh b*gger, I've just checked and it looks as if I might be riding 34/25; or I could use a bike that I like less, which is 34/28.

Do I go for the lower geared or the pleasanter riding bike ?
I much prefer my Cannondale to my Basso but the Cannondale's lowest gear is 39/29 which is almost equivalent to your 34/25. 19 times out of 20, I ride the Basso instead and will definitely be doing so on this ride ...

Q: When is a pleasanter riding bike not a pleasanter riding bike?
A: When it is a pleasanter walking bike! ;)

colly

Re member eR
Oh b*gger, I've just checked and it looks as if I might be riding 34/25; or I could use a bike that I like less, which is 34/28.

Do I go for the lower geared or the pleasanter riding bike ?

Decision, decisions.

Change the cassettes over?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Which one has is the one you'd rather ride?

Change the wheel over?

The one that I'd rather ride has a uniglide cassette - but 'only' 25T. It has a Sora rear derailleur; I could possibly put on the other wheel, but I'm not sure if the Sora mech will cope with 28T. Anyone know the limit of a Sora rear mech. ?

Mind you, I'm quite happy with the 2nd choice - nothing wrong with it at all. I'll seek to get it fettled before the ride. I don't really want to swap anything round - knowing my mechanical skills, it'd probably be on the ride that I'd find that I'd not properly fitted a particular part correctly.

Sadly, I've only been out on my bike once this month - just a 14 mile round trip with the family, to the local cafe. Not really ideal in terms of preparation, so I think it would be wise for me to use my lower-geared steed. I might find that doing the ride will 'encourage' me to get out and do a bit more cycling in general and to try another CycleChat ride . . . . . . . but one thing at a time !

I'm really looking forward to doing the ride; I only hope that the weather ain't too bad - if it is, I shan't be going. AA Routeplanner, tells me that I've got to drive 120 miles, in order to get to the start line. I'll have to leave my house by 7am at the latest; I've no problems getting up early and I've no problem with driving a fair way. But I don't fancy a long drive ( & bike ride) if it is 'tipping' it down. But hopefully, it won't be. I also hope that it won't be too misty - I'd like to be able to see all the beautiful countryside.

I'm also looking forward to meeting some of the 'names' on this forum. You'll know who I am, cos I'll be more decrepit than the rest; my (shabby) kit won't be 'matching' and my bike looks as if it might have been half-decent - approx. 35 years ago. :biggrin:

However, I'm certainly one to 'have a go' and I won't be letting myself (or anyone else) down, in terms of effort.

The last cycling that I did in Yorkshire, would be over 40 years ago - when I lived in Harrogate for 5 or 6 years. If I had to choose somewhere to live (other than my current abode), I'd almost certainly choose North Yorkshire. A great place !

zacklaws

Guru
AA Routeplanner, tells me that I've got to drive 120 miles, in order to get to the start line. I'll have to leave my house by 7am at the latest; I've no problems getting up early and I've no problem with driving a fair way. But I don't fancy a long drive ( & bike ride) if it is 'tipping' it down. But hopefully, it won't be. I also hope that it won't be too misty - I'd like to be able to see all the beautiful countryside.

Good Lord, that's good going! AA route planer has it for 88.6 miles for me, 2hrs 10 mins, maybe it's planned on me doing it on my bike just for a gentle warmup.

I dislike the mist too, but sometimes it can be advantageous especially if you cannot see the great hill you have to climb coming up in the distance, towering above you.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've decided that I'm going to transplant the Specialized saddle from my mountain bike to my Basso. When I'm slim and fit, the Arione on my road bike really suits me but I've been suffering from saddle sores on longer rides this year. The Specialized saddle currently suits me better; it's just a shame that it is white! (I found it for £15 in my LBS, probably because nobody wanted a white saddle!)

Sadly, I've only been out on my bike once this month - just a 14 mile round trip with the family, to the local cafe. Not really ideal in terms of preparation, so I think it would be wise for me to use my lower-geared steed.

I might find that doing the ride will 'encourage' me to get out and do a bit more cycling in general and to try another CycleChat ride . . . . . . . but one thing at a time !
Lowest gears you can get, definitely!

I hope that you are not 3+ stone overweight like me! I'm concerned that you might have real problems on this ride due to lack of miles in the legs but at least if you are slimmish, that would help greatly on the hills. I'm having to use very low gears to compensate for my beer belly.

I'm just worried that you might be exhausted by the time you get to Hawes and then struggle to get back to Settle. Is there any chance of you getting in a hilly 35-miler in the next few days to see how you get on at half our projected distance?

I assume that you have done this kind of ride at some point in the past so you understand what level of difficulty we are talking about? I find that even though I am not currently very fit, I do know how to look after myself on this kind of ride. Very early on in my adult cycling 'career', I did get it spectacularly wrong though! :whistle:

Appetite-whetting ... One of the views we will get on this ride, weather-permitting:

ingletontodentroad.jpg

zacklaws

Guru
I'm having to use very low gears to compensate for my beer belly.

Appetite-whetting ... One of the views we will get on this ride, weather-permitting:

day3ingletontodent.jpg

Can you clarify the reason your having to use low gears, is it because the hills are steep, or is your beer belly that big you have had to remove your largest front chainring as your beer belly droops over it, only joking. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Promise me, we see that view from only that angle........and not from the top of the hill on the extreme top right as well?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As you can see, I have now run the photo through some software to liven it up a little!

Can you clarify the reason your having to use low gears, is it because the hills are steep, or is your beer belly that big you have had to remove your largest front chainring as your beer belly droops over it, only joking. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Ha - the pot (belly) calling this kettle fat!

Promise me, we see that view from only that angle........and not from the top of the hill on the extreme top right as well?
Let me put it to you this way - not that particular hill, but Fleet Moss is very like that one!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I hope that you are not 3+ stone overweight like me!

I'm merely 2 stone overweight.

I'm just worried . . .

No point in 2 of us worrying :laugh:

I'm just worried that you might be exhausted by the time you get to Hawes and then struggle to get back to Settle.

I'm quite prepared to take the short-cut if need be, which would make it a 60 miler. But let's not count chickens etc.

Is there any chance of you getting in a hilly 35-miler in the next few days to see how you get on at half our projected distance?

I'll make every effort to do so this weekend; if only to get familiar with the bike that I'll be using.

I assume that you have done this kind of ride at some point in the past so you understand what level of difficulty we are talking about?

Not that I recall; though I did a Reliability Ride last year (40 miles) which was quite hilly. I also did the Cambrian Challenge about 4 years ago (50 miles) and I managed that.

I find that even though I am not currently very fit, I do know how to look after myself on this kind of ride.

I'm sure that I'll pace myself in a sensible fashion.

zacklaws

Guru
As you can see, I have now run the photo through some software to liven it up a little!

That's a very good piece of photo editing then Colin, how did you manage to edit out, all the rain drops, mist, black clouds, puddles, flooded river, ice, broken cattle grids, snow on the hilltops, tree's bent over due to the gale force wind and all the hills over 1 in 20?

No wonder it looks so barren, even all the hill walkers with bright yellow water proofs have been removed.

Anyway its my bed time, work tonight, I'm getting into a silly mood now, most people carbo load before a big ride, I "sense of humour" load to prepare me for the not so humorous hills so I don't have a sense of humour breakdown going up them.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Okay, pubrunner, on your own legs be it! :thumbsup:

(What'll happen now, of course, is that you will breeze round to Hawes while I take up my usual position at the rear of the group, whimpering "Wait for me. lads"!)

Top Bottom