Yosemite - Hwy 41

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
Anybody ridden the road from the Valley up to Wawona? How steep is it?

I've brought my fixed on the family vacation to the West Coast, and have been pootling along PCH in Orange County. However, we're off up to Yosemite, and it looks like I'll get the chance to cycle up to the Sequoia Grove from the Valley and meet the family there.

I'm reasonably fit at the moment, but living in Cambridge hasn't really prepared me for several miles of climbing ;-)

--
Dan

007fair

I've brought my fixed on the family vacation to the West Coast, and have been pootling along PCH in Orange County. However, we're off up to Yosemite, and it looks like I'll get the chance to cycle up to the Sequoia Grove from the Valley and meet the family there.

I'm reasonably fit at the moment, but living in Cambridge hasn't really prepared me for several miles of climbing ;-)

--
Dan

No Idea
But Yosemite is one of THE places I would like to visit so would like to hear about it if you go for it .. photos too :rolleyes:

Mitz

No Idea
But Yosemite is one of THE places I would like to visit so would like to hear about it if you go for it .. photos too :rolleyes:

Been there, but not on a bike.
biggrin.gif

It rises to 9500 feet at one point, so I'm guessing it would be quite a challenge - this is 9500 ft and the road runs around the edge of the lake, having been a long long climb (in the car
biggrin.gif
) beforehand

Compentry1-1.jpg

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 50

mark

No offense, Mitz, but your picture looks a lot more like Tenaya Lake than Wawona (been to both). CA State Hwy 120 does run around the north edge of Tenaya Lake and onward out the east gate of Yosemite National Park. 9500' sounds about right for Tenaya Lake, CA 120 tops out at almost 10,000' at Tioga Pass.

The Wawona Road leaves the opposite side of the Valley from CA 120, goes south to Fresno, and tops out at just over 6000' before you reach Wawona itself. It's not especially steep, just long, like most roads in the western US. There is one tunnel, but it's reasonably wide, straight and well lit, so put on a blinkie light, pay attention to the road, and you'll be fine.

Mitz

No offense, Mitz, but your picture looks a lot more like Tenaya Lake than Wawona (been to both). CA State Hwy 120 does run around the north edge of Tenaya Lake and onward out the east gate of Yosemite National Park. 9500' sounds about right for Tenaya Lake, CA 120 tops out at almost 10,000' at Tioga Pass.

The Wawona Road leaves the opposite side of the Valley from CA 120, goes south to Fresno, and tops out at just over 6000' before you reach Wawona itself. It's not especially steep, just long, like most roads in the western US. There is one tunnel, but it's reasonably wide, straight and well lit, so put on a blinkie light, pay attention to the road, and you'll be fine.

I'm not sure of the lake name, but for sure it was on the East side, as we were leaving for Death Valley. I was replying to 007fair
smile.gif

mark

Saddlebag Lake? Saddlebag Lake is shortly after you leave the east gate, going down into Lee Vining Canyon. Tioga Pass Resort is not too far away.

I still think the picture is Tenaya Lake, which is a few miles before the Tioga Pass entrance station, so still on the west side of the range.

Mitz

Saddlebag Lake? Saddlebag Lake is shortly after you leave the east gate, going down into Lee Vining Canyon. Tioga Pass Resort is not too far away.

I still think the picture is Tenaya Lake, which is a few miles before the Tioga Pass entrance station, so still on the west side of the range.

You may be right Mark, theres a few lakes on that road, I looked on google maps but I cant figure which it is

Danny

Legendary Member

--
Dan

I have driven up from the valley several times and it is a long, and in places, steep climb. Personally I wouldn't attempt to do it on a fixer - I'd want a bike with some really low gears.

Also, at this time of year the road in and out of Yosemite will be busy with holiday traffic and tour buses, and IIRC it is single lane in each direction. So you might want to plan an early start to avoid the crowds.

OP
OP
mangid

mangid

Guru
I have driven up from the valley several times and it is a long, and in places, steep climb. Personally I wouldn't attempt to do it on a fixer - I'd want a bike with some really low gears.

Also, at this time of year the road in and out of Yosemite will be busy with holiday traffic and tour buses, and IIRC it is single lane in each direction. So you might want to plan an early start to avoid the crowds.

Just got back to civilization, no wifi or phone for 3 days ....

Had a marvelous time, truly wonderful location, touched the base of El Capitan, nothing can prepare you for it, the way it rises vertically out of the Earth is just crazy ...

Managed to get 3 rides in, up from the hotel I was staying in on Hwy 140 up to the valley, 2500ft over 13miles, 2000 of that over 7. One plan floated by the family was that I would cycle over to Mariposa Grove and meet them there. Set out with good intentions the first day, but the first climb told me I wouldn't be able to do it in realistic time, if at all ...

I was doing the rides before the family got up for the days activities, 6:00am, so traffic fortunately wasn't an issue, but those who did pass me gave me a good ride berth, which is fairly typical for drivers in the US in my experience.

Sorry, no Marmite, dire warnings about carrying food and bears all over the place
rolleyes.gif

IMG_0317.jpg

Yosemite Valley Gallery & Route Map

--
Dan

Danny

Legendary Member
Glad you had such a good time, and made it up on your fixer!

Yosemite is one of the true natural wonders of the world and I'd love to go back again. I have an Ansell Adams print of El Capitan hanging on my living room wall.

Top Bottom