You’ve got to check your bills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Had my phone bill today and it was a bit high, I hardly use my phone so I was very surprised to find that one call to a mobile was for 96 minutes £15 +, so I phoned them, they said
Them - you must have made to call,
Me - firstly the number doesn't work, and on that date and time I was kayaking in Poole Harbour :laugh:
Them - Oh sorry we will take it off your bill
now if I hadn't checked my bill, and how many time does this happen :angry:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Similar sort of thing happens with supermarket bills. I always check mine after having gone through the checkout. There is nearly always a item or items that have been overcharged. I once got charged £52 for 18 eggs, that should of been reduced to 52p. That was pretty obvious, but always go through your bill before leaving the store.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A local shop was selling two types of bitter for £1.69 a bottle or any 4 for £5 so I bought 2 of each type. I checked my bill when I got home and discovered that they had charged me for 3 of one and 2 of the other AND the special offer hadn't been programmed into the tills so I'd paid £8.45 instead of £5. They gave me a £3.45 refund the next day when I went back to complain.

I discovered 2 fraudulent mobile phone top-ups to the value of £10 on my Halifax account once.

Yes - it is always a good idea to check bills!

Seigi

My parents card got frauded (?) the other day, someone tried to spend £400 at Miss Selfridges (god knows what they were buying), thankfully Lloyds realised this was out the ordinary, stopped the transaction and gave us a call, to which we confirmed it wasn't us.

My parents 'always' check their bills, they're quite scrutinising in that regard.

I myself have always been fine, I rarely make any large purchases and when I do it's usually online.

Oxo

Guru
When staying in hotels I always pay for drinks etc . and never have them put on my bill. I've had numerous occasions when charges for drinks, have 'mistakenly' appeared on my bill.

Bluebell72

I think Bicyclist means when you just charge drinks etc to your room bill - over a few days they can mount up to give a nasty surprise - so it's easier to pay for them at the bar, as you have them. Then, if you have paid for everything as you've had it, you know that anything charged to your room is incorrect.

I'd never dream of having anything out of the mini bar, but one time, I was away at a super posh hotel with a fridge that had champagne etc inside. I'd been out in the day to meet a friend, who had come from France, and brought me some beautiful cheese. The smell was extreme, so I wrapped it and shoved it in the fridge for my stay, after moving everything around in the fridge, to make room.
When I went to check out, reception tried to charge me for the entire contents of the fridge - (about £400!!!) it had sensors in for them to know which bottle had gone, and I'd managed to move everything off its sensor!!!!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Similar sort of thing happens with supermarket bills. I always check mine after having gone through the checkout. There is nearly always a item or items that have been overcharged. I once got charged £52 for 18 eggs, that should of been reduced to 52p. That was pretty obvious, but always go through your bill before leaving the store.

I do hope you are exaggerating. Whilst errors do happen, they should be rare enough. Errors don't always work against customers either...

It is a good idea to check, the problem I've mostly had is with somefield/coop where the descriptions on the receipt used to be somewhat mysteriously ambiguous.

the snail

Guru
A friend of mine went into tescos after xmas, and bought a load of stuff from the reduced section. When his stuff was run through the till it came out at £-4.50. The till operator called the supervisor, who said it was fine - something to do with bogof offers, so tescos paid him £4.50 to remove a basketfull of food from the shop :biggrin:

Oxo

Guru
I think Bicyclist means when you just charge drinks etc to your room bill - over a few days they can mount up to give a nasty surprise - so it's easier to pay for them at the bar, as you have them. Then, if you have paid for everything as you've had it, you know that anything charged to your room is incorrect.

I ment exactly that. Thank you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend of mine went into tescos after xmas, and bought a load of stuff from the reduced section. When his stuff was run through the till it came out at £-4.50. The till operator called the supervisor, who said it was fine - something to do with bogof offers, so tescos paid him £4.50 to remove a basketfull of food from the shop :biggrin:
Ha ha! That is clearly nonsense and I'd have been tempted to say "Are you really sure about that because if you are then I'm going back for another 30 basketfuls!"

asterix

Comrade Member

Mrs A always checks the weekly T35c0 bill. Errors are extremely rare but when we found one and complained they gave us the item <americanism>for free</americanism>.

Mine Due when I bought an external HD the operator failed to spot an internal security tag and I set off the exit scanner siren.

I went back.

The security guard just ignored me(!) so a staff-member agreed I had paid and could leave but when did the alarm still went so I just kept walking.

The guard then woke up and chased after me. At that point I got a bit irritated and demanded the manager attend so they got some clueless chap in a suit who, yet again wanted to see my receipt and reluctantly admitted I had paid.

On reaching home I called T35c0 and gave them an ear-bashing; I haven't seen that security guard since.

Mr Phoebus

I always check the receipt at my local Asda when I shop.

On a few occasions when the stuff was supposed to be cheaper through "roll back"

I was still charged full price.

A quick visit to the customer desk and they refund me to the lower price and also

give me a credit card with £2 off my next shop as a 'sorry for the mistake.'

Soltydog

Legendary Member

Happened to my parents at Tesco in Brighouse, but think they were only 25p in credit, but Tesco did not hand any cash over, they just got the shopping free. My dad was upset as he could have bought something else & got the 25p off :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ha ha! That is clearly nonsense and I'd have been tempted to say "Are you really sure about that because if you are then I'm going back for another 30 basketfuls!"

Errors sometimes aren't picked up for 2 or 3 days... Often it's a few hours.

Top Bottom