You are all individuals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I've known for many years that my white blood cell count is low, outside 'normal' levels low. Now I've got another outside normal count to add to that - SGPT. SGPT is an naturally occuring enzyme that could indicate liver damage, amongst other things, if found in larger than normal quantities in the blood. My SGPT is above normal levels.

My doc decided to have me checked for flavours of hepatitis plus a few other things and that all came back negative. Then it was ultrasounds of the abdomen; checking for any liver,kidney, etc damage. Nothing - except a very petulant radiographer who seeing nothing out of order demanded to know why I was even there! (Btw, I now have some nice black and white photos of my prostate if anyone's interested... no? Ah well, can't say I didn't ask).

SGPT can apparently be temporarily raised by strenuous exercise but the only thing I do strenuously is sleep! :smile:

So, as I am not overweight nor a heavy drinker or prodigious drug user (nor have I ever been) and in excellent general health then I guess I just have a higher than normal SGPT count - some people do. Everybody's different.

Was this a French doctor?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Yes :smile:

I know where you're going with that! France, the only place in the world that you can be diagnosed with 'heavy legs'!! :wacko:

They love their drugs here (actually a bit of a cost problem for the health service) and have shopping lists rather than presriptions. Check out any town, the newest, flashest shop will be the pharmacy. Good money in it.

And no freckin' generics either. Cost me €10 for 10 anti-histamine. Oh how I miss Boots/Superdrug sometimes!

I was vaguely heading in that direction :smile: No, I know from first hand experience of French colleagues how it works, plus a French pharmacy is the only place I've gone into with some nausea and diarohea and come out unable to walk with the weight of the drugs I got.

Blonde

You're right there. You can get massive co-codamol tablets and double strength ibruprofen tablets in Mallorca/Spain too. They're not available in such big doses over the counter in the UK, but I bought some scary horse-pill sized painkillers there after a crash a few years ago and they worked brilliantly.

Bigtwin

Blonde said:
You're right there. You can get massive co-codamol tablets and double strength ibruprofen tablets in Mallorca/Spain too. They're not available in such big doses over the counter in the UK, but I bought some scary horse-pill sized painkillers there after a crash a few years ago and they worked brilliantly.

I broke my shoulder in a crash in South Africa. Local took me to a vet who sold me some horse-sized brufen or something. Worked a bloody treat I can tell you!

Top Bottom