you decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nicholas

Über Member
After much digging into winter clothing as a complete newbie first winter rather than asking what best to wear here's my question what are you wearing to keep warm and still cycle price no object

Head: Hat under helmet mainly to cover ears. It does get hot after sometime and may need to put over ears about 30 minutes in to the ride.
Top: one thermal base layer and winter cycling jacket
Bottom: Long winter cycling pants from Aldi
Ordinary shes and socks.
Then weather here during mid day was not so bad

what @midliferider says though I may have a compression vest or top as an extra layer, tried the Aldi winter trouser today and some base layer leggings and was too warm, people on here had said it was cold. Overshoes from Tenn for £11 toasty warm.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Head thingy under helmet
Castelli snood,
Endura BaBa long sleeve
Long sleeve Castelli Jersey,
Castelli Gillet
Endura winter socks
Castelli bibs,
Endura over shoes
Endura water proof gloves.
Keeps me nice and warm.

Wearing a base layer makes life easier. I wear Sports Direct, Campri Thermal top, just £6.
I wear it during all outdoor activities, walking, cycling, running in winter. If you feel too hot, you can take it out and put in the back pocket of cycle jersey.

Kies

I went cycling today at 5pm ....

Padded shorts, and then some runners tights with long sports socks.
Long sleeve base layer, summer cycling jersey and my Altura night vision jacket.
A buff around my neck, skull cap under my helmet, merino glove liners and a pair of night vision gloves.

If it gets any colder, i add a full sleeve fleece over the base layer and some neoprene overshoes.
If it gets wet or rain is predicted, a simple plastic bag in the roof of the helmet keeps the water off my skull cap.

Home base did some ski base layer last winter for a about £5 a layer of these can be worn over or under, I have a pair of cycling pants (underwear with a thin liner) then a bas layer then shorts 3/4 leggings leg warmers, or winter leggings, take your pick all work for various conditions, as mentioned Tenn over shoes, I also have a pair of Aldi commuter overshoes (which fit the M.T.B. shoes better, I dont see the Tenn lasting the winter out without some repairs. May main problem at the moment is being to warm.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I wore padded shorts under regular trousers , a heavy shirt under a fleece coat yesterday, as it was near 45f. I also wore a flat cap under my helmet. When it gets colder, I add a balaclava and a heavier coat. I use snowmobiling gloves in the winter most of the time, or mittens when really cold. But my snowmobiling gloves are Extremes, and if they are not warm enough, I am usually cycling on the trainer or exercycle, next to some tea. Footwear varies from special hard soled New Balance shoes adapted for my cycling. If it is too cold or wet for those, I use some light hiking boots.
6'4", 280 pounds,or shy of 18 stone. I improvise.
I have been asked by the civil and religious authorities in my area never to wear a Thermal Suit. Ever.

Top Bottom