You fat tyred tosspot!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I kind of like "catching" people, it's a nice bit of motivation to push a little harder when the commute feels like hard work. Wouldn't follow people up the insides of buses, through red lights or on the pavement though.

cupoftea

I love catching and overtaking roadies, I just wait to see if they take the bait and put the hammer down.
Then I just settle onto there rear wheel and take it easy.
And when they peel off I give a little shout "Thanks"
Why work when you can get someone else to do it for you. :-)

Tynan

Veteran
I always push on and pass nearly everything I see, anything that passes me is quicker than me and that's that, I try to follow the odd one on the long open bits sometimes, but anything quicker than I'm doing already is defo a strain

proper racer/courier types is all that really goes by me, hopefully I'll be road biked up for the new year, pending insurance and can sweep all before me, behind me anyway

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
One of my colleagues bought himself a Scott scale 30 mountain bike. I have challenged him to a race home but he never uses the thing.

mondobongo

Über Member
Looked like two for the price of one on the Devonshire Road Blackpool this morning, as could see 2 sets of lights in front of me. Traffic lights went to red both of them went through took a left and crossed over using the pedestrian island. Lights changed and passed both of them before they got to the other side. RLJ for 15 secs or so silly, they could have been practising their trackstands I know I was.

bonj2

jiggerypokery said:
Ermmmm... I think I can whinge when that advantage is used in conjunction with breaking the law blah blah blah
yeah yeah yeah, yadda yadda yadda. Just like i can go into a greengrocer and find a straight banana and weigh it on the pounds and ounces scales and then whinge to the grocer that he's breaking the law.
The law, the law, the law. Let's obsess about what it says in 'the law'. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: Think of it this way: it may be a law of the land, but it wasn't a law of that particular race.

jiggerypokery said:
Making a speedy and large withdrawl from a bank with the aid of a gun would give me an advantage over some one who just wanted to use their bank card ....but it's not something I would do.
victim?
The only 'victim' of the MTBer pavementing was you for losing the race.

jiggerypokery said:
And to be honest, other than pulling certain stunts, there's nothing that you can do on an MTB that you can't do on a road bike with a set of knobly tyres and a good set of rims...oh hang on...that's a Crosser...the forerunner of MTB's
Well, possibly true, what's your point? Go and put knobbly tyres and good rims on and beat him next time then.

bonj2

the point is, jiggerypokery, you're not pissed off 'cos he broke the law, you're pissed off because he won the race. I'm presuming you didn't meet each other before hand and agree to it being a fully law-abiding race, shake hands, then set off - only to then see him break the terms of the race? No, that didn't happen, dit it. You just came across him, and you wouldn't have been as pissed off if you'd just seen him go on the pavement, it was the fact that he 'beat' you doing it.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Did you not get your Shreddies this morning bonj?

Because a crime/act of breaking the law is victimless. i.e. riding on the pavement, that does not make it any less of a crime. Whilst you and I may feel that certain laws are rather stupid and arcane the law is however the law, put there for a reason and to be obeyed in full and not on a whim.

You are quite right in that I was mildy peeved at having lost out in an informal race to some one who felt minded to disregard common law and ride on the pavement, but hey, who am I to comment on the actions of a person who makes us as cyclists look bad.

My winter hack is a crosser so the rims and tyres are more than adequate for kerb jumping and pavement riding but I intend to continue to ride it on the road, the place where I am supposed to ride it when commuting unless there is a cycle lane/path available.

Perhaps you should have a fumble in your Yfronts, something seems to be twisted and causing you a great deal of angst today :biggrin:

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
oh... a cheat is a cheat no matter how you look at it, it makes no difference if it's formal competition or just for kicks.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
SERIOUS... SERIOUS...I was whupped at the lights by a tractor tyre shod scaffold pole riding tosser. thus spoiling my undefeated reign of the Tour de Brum and on this day the unequalled in difficulty and tenaciousness Col de Coventry Road.

Course I'm taking it seriously lol :blush:

bonj2

jiggerypokery said:
Did you not get your Shreddies this morning bonj?

Because a crime/act of breaking the law is victimless. i.e. riding on the pavement, that does not make it any less of a crime. Whilst you and I may feel that certain laws are rather stupid and arcane the law is however the law, put there for a reason and to be obeyed in full and not on a whim.
We can argue till the cow comes home about whether you should obey the law for the law's sake, and whether it's morally wrong to break the law, but we still won't agree.

jiggerypokery said:
You are quite right in that I was mildy peeved at having lost out in an informal race to some one who felt minded to disregard common law and ride on the pavement, but hey, who am I to comment on the actions of a person who makes us as cyclists look bad.
Oh give it a rest. Making cyclists look bad, that old one. :blush:
You were only peeved because you became embarassed at suddenly realising that there was a really easy way for your 'opponent' to beat you in the race that YOU'D started that you hadn't thought about.

Top Bottom