You fat tyred tosspot!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Membrane said:
I ride against myself mostly. If I get onto a bike I want to push it. I sometimes set out on a ride intending to take it easy, it rarely works. I usually end up giving it welly, it is part of why I enjoy cycling.

If I tried to speed up to chase or keep up with someone else I'd probably blow up later into the ride because I ride not far from my maximum. On the occasions that another cyclist overtakes me (fortunately rare exept on serious climbs) I don't try to cling on.

Seems counter-intuitive to me.:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
a big hill is always a good place to drop people, there is no hiding place......

Its rare I ever get passed now my fitness is back, but If someone is moving at a decent pace and I am going quicker anyway, i'll up the pace more until clear - comes from many years as a tester.

U

User482

I've only been properly dropped once. I was on my road bike, and the guy who overtook me was on a Halfords crappy mtb, and was wearing workboots and heavy overalls. A depressing experience!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
No I don't either;

1. Not many other cyclists on my route
2. I'm usually going as fast as I think I can go anyway so if they pass me they're gone. For this reason I am very cautious about overtaking someone else.
3. It all sounds a bit w@nk.

Yeah, I agree. What I hate is, when I'm going along at a normal pace for me (not very fast, but not very slow) and I pass a bloke, not to race, just because he's going a bit slower then me, and suddenly, he's GOT to get by, hasn't he, because he's a MAN and I'm only a girl, so how dare I be faster. So he goes from riding gently along to full blown effort, to get by. I don't generally rise to the bait, it seems so petty. Often happens on the riverside bike path.

Still, I suppose it means he gets home all knackered and sweaty, and I'm a picture of composure and ladylikeness.

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:
Yeah, I agree. What I hate is, when I'm going along at a normal pace for me (not very fast, but not very slow) and I pass a bloke, not to race, just because he's going a bit slower then me, and suddenly, he's GOT to get by, hasn't he, because he's a MAN and I'm only a girl, so how dare I be faster. So he goes from riding gently along to full blown effort, to get by. I don't generally rise to the bait, it seems so petty. Often happens on the riverside bike path.

Still, I suppose it means he gets home all knackered and sweaty, and I'm a picture of composure and ladylikeness.

On that note, I inadvertently blew snot onto my crossbar this morning. Gutted.

Cab

I don't mind people overtaking me (doesn't happen much, but it happens) so long as they're then going to go away from me. I don't want someone overtaking then being too winded to leave me behind. If that happens I'll go right back past them and up my pace for a while to leave them well behind me. Otherwise I just want to go at my own pace.

GrahamG

Guru
I don't care either - it can be a city style hybrid whilst I'm on my road bike (if I'm taking it easy) and I'll just let it go. There's normally a reason for me going that slow.... :biggrin:

I'm not a racer, but then I don't tend to see a huge amount of cyclists on my route. I've never been passed though, except by left filtering, RLJing muppets, but they don't count. Of course as others have said, you always seem to catch up with the muppets.:biggrin:

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
As I work shift work, I don't see many other cyclists on my commute but this week I am on a training course so I am commuting during rush hour. Completely dfferent style of riding. Aside from motorists who as soon as they pass you move as close to the kerb as possible to prevent you from passing to the many wanna-be racers, most of whom either weave in and out of traffic, RLJ or use the pavement as a shortcut just so they can get past, then they slam on the anchors and I get stuck behind them.:biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I dont ever mean to race, it just happens. I dont see many cyclists on my route, so i dont really race them, and its mainly people on MTB's going really really slow. I race with a kid on a mountain bike that trys to keep up.
But if they go up on the pavement, i slow right down back to a slower crusing speed and sit up. I dont want someone being hit because a cyclist was wanting to race me.
I normally pass RLJ anyway, which is why i see it as abit pointless, sometimes.

bonj2

Roadies have advantages over MTBs, MTBs have their advantages over roadies. You can't go using your adantage then whinge that it's unfair when the MTB uses his.

OP
OP
jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Ermmmm... I think I can whinge when that advantage is used in conjunction with breaking the law with respect to riding on the pavement.

Making a speedy and large withdrawl from a bank with the aid of a gun would give me an advantage over some one who just wanted to use their bank card ....but it's not something I would do.

And to be honest, other than pulling certain stunts, there's nothing that you can do on an MTB that you can't do on a road bike with a set of knobly tyres and a good set of rims...oh hang on...that's a Crosser...the forerunner of MTB's

gazzaputt

bonj said:
Roadies have advantages over MTBs, MTBs have their advantages over roadies. You can't go using your adantage then whinge that it's unfair when the MTB uses his.

Agree advantage isn't pavement jumping or RLJ.

When I rode an MTB I tried to give as good on it with others on road bikes.

Now I'm on a road bike I'm a demon :biggrin:

Top Bottom