You know cycling's become mainstream when...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Smokin Joe, 1 Aug 2012.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

...both the Sun and the Mirror are giving away cut-out Bradley Wiggins sideburns on their front page.

Makes you almost nostalgic for the days when the Tour de France merited a tiny paragraph tucked away beneath the Billiards results.

Fab Foodie and marinyork like this.
  2. TVC

TVC Guest

In two days at work this week I've had five people ask my advice about buying a road bike, two to upgrade from their Halfrauds commuters, and three entirely new to it, including my FD. Good stuff.

The Brewer, Pat "5mph" and Fnaar like this.
  3. Risex4

Risex4 Dropped by the autobus

...friends, family and co-workers start acknowledging/taking an interest in what you do on a bike.

Previously, when I'd answered "cycled 100 miles" or whatever to the question what did you do at the weekend, I was usually met with an indifferent/uncomprehending "oh, cool" or something equally blasse.

Now, people actually want to know about it - I mean show a proper interest - and a few have even (sheepishly) fished about joining me on a distance ride; where as the underlying prevailing attitude a month ago was "why would you bother doing that"?

Strange that. And, as good as it is that people may be taking it more seriously, Im finding its actually quite un-nerving at the same time...

Pat "5mph" and Fnaar like this.
  4. Melonfish

Melonfish Evil Genius in training.

i might pick up a mirror, i can't grow sideburns so it might be worth getting the fake ones to increase my average times to and from work.

5. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

I've only just had my sideburns shaved off. I didn't know they had become cool.

6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Now you're no longer sporting them, they are ....

threebikesmcginty and Smokin Joe like this.
  7. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

I have had people at work watching the tour and the road race and coming up with sensible questions? Things are improving no doubt.

TVC likes this.
  8. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

Its been a while since we've had a properly dominating British sporting hero to all get behind :smile: it's a great thing to experience and I'm very proud! Regardless of my own love of the sport

9. buddha

buddha Veteran

My sister is now known at work as the "Cycling Nerd".
    She doesn't even ride a bike, but, because of me, knows a few snippets of information (eg. why the peloton might let a breakaway go, that kind of thing ...)

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  10. defy-one

defy-one Guest

when some normal bloke from London wins the TDF and Olympic Gold!!

Fnaar likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Quite a few of my neighbours have started asking me about how racing works and why they use the tactics they do.

12. Davidc

Davidc Guru

... you're asked by a complete stranger which of the bike shops in town is the best!

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  13. Night Train

Night Train Maker of Things

...When developers concede and fit their new build garages with secure bike racks as cars won't fit anyway.

Fnaar, TVC and Pat "5mph" like this.
  14. Peteaud

Peteaud Veteran

Ive bought a rowing boat ^_^

rikki and User1314 like this.
  15. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

I like the orange and lime ones.

Fnaar and deptfordmarmoset like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice