You know you've had a good ride ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I hit that point about 5 miles from home where every turn of the cranks is an effort and everything started to go all swimmy in the vision, so I dug deep, told my legs to get on with it and powered home ...

then I collapsed
biggrin.gif

Scotmitchy

Good for you, sounds like a fab day out

I did my first ever 40 miler today, never thought I would ever get to that sort distance, but I'm having so much fun, find it difficult to stop and return home. As you say, the legs just want to stop working, I'm sure the last couple of miles for me were completed on the energy from a couple of jelly babies, and I'm not even going to start talking about my sore ar$e, but fun, hell yes, and I'll be back in the saddle again soon looking for more routes slightly further afield than I've been today. One question though, there are a lot of greenfly around just now, most of which tried to hitch a ride from me today I'm sure, is there any way to stop them hitching a ride on me?

Brian

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
One question though, there are a lot of greenfly around just now, most of which tried to hitch a ride from me today I'm sure, is there any way to stop them hitching a ride on me?
Give 'em a bus pass.

Seriously, I find the last part of long rides interesting, as I'm not sure how much of the tired legs bit is psychological, as I sometimes hit a bit of a dull patch, say, 30 miles from home, but then get a bit of a boost later on as I get closer to home. Although today I think my legs are just tired now (nothing psychological about it) ... 107 miles done.

Slaav

Veteran
Not long home from another 20 mile loosener. Did 30 on Friday and managed to up my average speed (new computer on bike) :laugh:

So on this afternoon's ride, decided to go for it a bit! Hoofed it out at a faster pace knowing my legs would blow up on me (still a newbie.)

Sure enough, they did! On another thread, was whining about Hills so figured that getting a good burn going up an incline will make things easier on the hills (I know that's the wrong way around)

6/7 miles from home actually told myself that I was nearly 3/4 of the way around. - then realsied I was already over 2/3rds and decided to try and up the pace again! Doh!!! Took a 20 sec breather over the top of a small rise by freewheeling for maybe 150 yards and decided (with legs on fire) that f**k it!

Did my best to 'sprint' the last 2 miles or so home; didnt manage it but despite the slight incline all the way home, simply REFUSED to stop pedalling!! REFUSED..... and kept the speed up around 18mph despite my legs detaching themselves and clubbing me round the head.

The warm down was at 13mph and felt lovely compared to what went before.

The body is an amazing thing and from memory (was a while ago) I just knew I could do more. Only time I ever puked and physically could not stand or support myself was post rowing. Didnt reach that point by some way so unfortunately, need to bl00dy push more! It is in there for all of us I reckon - psychologically it is actually quite intesresting!

Mind over matter :laugh:

ps - sorry for long post/ramble and the bit of 'me, me, me' in there trying to tell the story.

Glover Fan

I haven't been out for a week which has really been playing on my mind, a combination of work commitments and just haven't had the time on this lovely bank holiday weekend! Taking some time out tomorrow morning on a new route, about 45 miles just to spin the legs gonna go over the Clifton suspension bridge, which I haven't done on the bike yet and also the Avonmouth bridge, which I suspect is going to be fairly tough as it seems quite a climb when in the car on the M5.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I'm in training for a ride to Newcastle and back.... 60 miles friday, 101 miles yesteday and 41 today ............. legs well and truly know I've been through the mill!!!!!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Havent been out since thursday.. shed door was blocked this morning, then decided to mess around and tweak some stuff instead.

D

Deleted member 1258

Its the after ride, the afternoon after a hard 50-60 miles in the morning and my thighs don't like walking down stairs. The day after and my legs don't want to ride to work. On a ride its getting to the stage where I'm breaking the ride up in my mind, just concentrating on getting to the next village, when I get to the next village I'm then concentrating on the next village and not thinking about getting home and finishing the ride.

perplexed

Guru
Give 'em a bus pass.

Seriously, I find the last part of long rides interesting, as I'm not sure how much of the tired legs bit is psychological, as I sometimes hit a bit of a dull patch, say, 30 miles from home, but then get a bit of a boost later on as I get closer to home. Although today I think my legs are just tired now (nothing psychological about it) ... 107 miles done.

Shouldn't that be a bug pass...:laugh:

I'll get me coat...

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I haven't been out for a week which has really been playing on my mind, a combination of work commitments and just haven't had the time on this lovely bank holiday weekend! Taking some time out tomorrow morning on a new route, about 45 miles just to spin the legs gonna go over the Clifton suspension bridge, which I haven't done on the bike yet and also the Avonmouth bridge, which I suspect is going to be fairly tough as it seems quite a climb when in the car on the M5.

Look out for Bristols Biggest Bike Ride - 12th June 2011 , one of the routes takes in a ride up the portway and across the Avonmouth bridge, and back on the cycle path on the opposide side of the river.

Top Bottom