You only nearly knocked a 7yr old off her bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atbman

Veteran
Scene: Penistone country Park, Haworth, West Yorkshire

Circumstances: BSCA U8 Regional MTB champs

Participants in scene: Three selfish, dangerous idiots and one 7 year old girl in bright yellow

I've been involved in running or helping to run the BSCA regional schools MTB champs at this venue since about 1995 and we've occasionally had complaints from walkers about the event, usually on the basis of the behaviour of mtb'ers at other times. We've even, on one occasion, had some petulant walker interfere with the course markers.

But we've never had anyone endangering the safety of any of the kids until yesterday. They were 3 black clad riders in their late teens/early 20s who ripped, at speed, straight across the path of a young girl racer, forcing her to swerve right off the course and nearly bringing her off. When her grandfather shouted at them (not swearing) he got a mouthful of abuse (obscenities) as they tore off down the track at a speed which was utterly contemptuous of the rights of other people enjoying the area.

I have no idea who you are, or who you think you are, but your behaviour was, potentially, criminally irresponsible, and, actually, selfish, and reckless. A passing walker said that this was typical of a small minority of regular riders which he sees on a frequent basis.

You are, bluntly, stupid, dangerous idiots, without the slightest concern or consideration for others and your indifference to the safety of a little girl was beyond belief. If we are ever banned from riding in that area, - and many walkers want that - it will be the irrresponsibility of morons like you which leads to it.

I've been coaching kids for 16 years and have never seen anyone behave like that round them and I would never, ever, have expected it to be fellow riders.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Such a shame. I hope the young girl involved was OK and that the idiots get there comeuppance!!

Scene: Penistone country Park, Haworth, West Yorkshire

Circumstances: BSCA U8 Regional MTB champs

Participants in scene: Three selfish, dangerous idiots and one 7 year old girl in bright yellow

I've been involved in running or helping to run the BSCA regional schools MTB champs at this venue since about 1995 and we've occasionally had complaints from walkers about the event, usually on the basis of the behaviour of mtb'ers at other times. We've even, on one occasion, had some petulant walker interfere with the course markers.

But we've never had anyone endangering the safety of any of the kids until yesterday. They were 3 black clad riders in their late teens/early 20s who ripped, at speed, straight across the path of a young girl racer, forcing her to swerve right off the course and nearly bringing her off. When her grandfather shouted at them (not swearing) he got a mouthful of abuse (obscenities) as they tore off down the track at a speed which was utterly contemptuous of the rights of other people enjoying the area.

I have no idea who you are, or who you think you are, but your behaviour was, potentially, criminally irresponsible, and, actually, selfish, and reckless. A passing walker said that this was typical of a small minority of regular riders which he sees on a frequent basis.

You are, bluntly, stupid, dangerous idiots, without the slightest concern or consideration for others and your indifference to the safety of a little girl was beyond belief. If we are ever banned from riding in that area, - and many walkers want that - it will be the irrresponsibility of morons like you which leads to it.

I've been coaching kids for 16 years and have never seen anyone behave like that round them and I would never, ever, have expected it to be fellow riders.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
There is a mentality of certain young riders, usually lads, that makes them have to show off and prove their abilities to their mates. I see it in the school playground as they come to school or are leaving. They have to pop wheelies, no matter how many others are around them. They haven't got the skills to do this in the confines of a busy playground and there have been some very near accidents. Their bikes are never maintained to the level that would be required for this kind of 'circus skills' activity and one fell off on Friday morning. He face-planted into the tarmac but wasn't too injured, just his pride. So he had to prove he wasn't injured by pedalling off into the crowd at top speed. Another potential disaster.

I park on the edge of the school field so slow down and indicate left just before turning left to park. I come very close to hitting some of these "Cyclists" :ohmy: as they pop onto the pavement on my left and try to force their way past me as I'm turning. There is always plenty of room to my right, on the school drive .

Top Bottom