"you should be arrested and banned from the road"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
shunter said:
Notwithstanding all these meanderings, I would tend to claim that my bicycle speedo was broke, vibrating too much, fogged over and then feign incredulity at being able to break the speed limit on a bicycle:laugh: especially as I was so unfit.

I don't generally go fast enough to break speed limits but if I am doing over 30 mph (it has to be downhill) then I am not looking at the bike computer... I am definitely looking at the road and I would use that as my excuse.

shunter

summerdays said:
I don't generally go fast enough to break speed limits but if I am doing over 30 mph (it has to be downhill) then I am not looking at the bike computer... I am definitely looking at the road and I would use that as my excuse.

Good point - I usually get confirmation of those high speeds from my 'max' setting.

Wobbles

Am I right in thinking that as a cyclist, the law can't actually prosecute you for speeding (the limits apply to motorized transport) - all we can be done for is 'furious pedaling'.

Or is that an urban myth?:wacko:

shunter

Wobbles said:
Am I right in thinking that as a cyclist, the law can't actually prosecute you for speeding (the limits apply to motorized transport) - all we can be done for is 'furious pedaling'.

Or is that an urban myth?:wacko:

Is that a law against high cadence :biggrin:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
This is quite an interesting tangent, I recently did some multimedia work for the Cambridgeshire safety camer partnership and curious as to the exact workings of camera's i did quiz the guys there.

Basically the permanent Gatso and Truvelo speed cameras are set to a specific speed this is at the discretion of the individual counties campera department this is usually between 7-14% over the seed limit in the designated area but can depend on the risk factor or level off incidents at each camera point (ie outside a school is may be 7%). If you ever get flashed by a camera (again depending on the county you are in) you have an average of a 1 in 6 chance of there being fil in the camera (only on the old Gataso style - square lense and lots of white lines) and a 1 in 12 - 15 chance of them prosecuting you as the tend to flash hundreds of people each day and are not allowed to fine everyone (this is random so someone doing 80 in a 30 at lunchtime could get away with it but someone doing 33 in a 30 outside a school at midnight could get prosecuted). the newer Truvelo camera's (round lenses/flash and can get you forward or rear facing with the 3 small lines close together) are digital so every picture is stored.

The mobile speed camera's used by the traffic police have different rules, they have a quota of people they are allowed to fine/give points too and it is up to their discretion as to whether they let you off or not (sounds synical but usually depends on how early/late in their shift and ow many speeders they have caught), My dad got pulled out of a line of traffic doing 43mph (official radar speed) in a 40 zone and the traffic was flowing with cars a safe difference between them, the policeman was quite candid and said that eeryone was breaking the law but they only had time to prosecute a few and it was just bad luck that the last guy theyhad done had just pulled off and his car was the next one on the radar after they reset it, as he was pulling away they pulled over the next car!

The silly sod tried to use this against the system and went to court to state his case that he was in a steady stream of traffic and instead of the £60 fine and 3 points they gave him 6 points and a £1000 fine!!

So after all my useless information waffle its basically a gamble! but you would have to get a real c*&k of a poiceman to pull you over for speeding and give you more than a word of wisdom if your on a bike surely?

Has anyone actually ever been pulled over for speeding while cycling?

Freewheeler

Wobbles said:

Or is that an urban myth?:rofl:

That's correct, speed limits apply to 'mechanically propelled vehicles' (meaning vehicles with engines).

As to 'cycling furiously', it's an offence of driving furiously - really intended for horse drawn carriages but bicycles are classed as carriages in law.

From http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php

Although a legal eagle searching Blackstones will not find a specific offence of "furious cycling", cyclists can nonetheless be convicted for "wanton and furious driving".

The wording of S35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) is as follows:

“35. Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.”

(The same page also mentions Professor David S. Wall, Head of the University of Leeds Law School, who cites one of his hobbies as 'cycling furiously' :wacko: )

skrx

col said:
Wasnt there something talked about where the motorway speed limit was going to be increased?

I doubt it, considering the general congestion etc.

On a busy motorway, it's been proven that having a lower speed limit makes journeys quicker.

jezhiggins

Eat MY Dust said:
I emailed this to a guy who I had a huge bust up with yesterday at work. He really pis*ed me off as he rides a motorcycle (when it's sunny and dry) and I believed he understood cyclists road positioning.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvX3NgZK-k

What amuse's me is that this is only a 23 second clip from this morning. It took me ages to actually pick which part to show him as there were so many parts that were relative to my argument.

Just to (attempt to) drag this back on track, did you get a reply from your colleague or did you come out of work to find you'd somehow picked up a double flat during the day?

thomas said:
Speedos are set to under read rather than over read yes. I was saying that speed cameras and things, don't expect 10% plus 5 MPH or whatever other rubbish. 30mph = 30mph.

Ah right, got yer. Totally agree.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Eat MY Dust said:
He's not back in until Wednesday. I'll keep you updated!

Just reply to his every complaint with a cough of "c*ck!" :laugh:

Do it, martin friedman style infront of everyone publically. They will find his little outbursts very amusing :angry:

davidtq

Freewheeler said:
That's correct, speed limits apply to 'mechanically propelled vehicles' (meaning vehicles with engines).

As to 'cycling furiously', it's an offence of driving furiously - really intended for horse drawn carriages but bicycles are classed as carriages in law.

From http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php

(The same page also mentions Professor David S. Wall, Head of the University of Leeds Law School, who cites one of his hobbies as 'cycling furiously' :rolleyes: )

Perhaps somebody should tell Paul Messon that he was "had", when convicted of "wanton or furious cycling" The court seemed to think it was a genuine offence and duly sentenced the chap to one year in prison suspended for two years and 300 hours community service. It has to be said that in all fairness he probably got off relatively lightly...

Top Bottom