You should be on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Me, cycling down the lower high st in town the other evening in rush hour , stop behind a bus which is straddling a pedestrian crossing, and a scruffy looking bloke in his 30's on a £79.99 Argos MTB is sat on it waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing. I say to him. '

Me: You should be on the road on that'
Him: I've just come out of a shop
Bus moves off...he cycles across the pedestrian crossing in front of me on to the pavement in the other side
Me: And now you have cycled from one pavement to another, and are creating a hazard to the pedestrians
Him: Huh !

Pee's me off TBH... the brush is broad when you get muppets like this sticking two fingers up to everyone else around them :sad:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I usually say "My Mum let me ride on the road when I was your age"

A pet hate of mine is pavement cyclists who think I should stop for them at zebra crossings.

sidevalve

Über Member
Today I find it easier to keep trap shut and just shake head shaking-head-sad-smiley-emoticon.gif

Much easier, however if you want an explanation for a lot of the anti cyclist attitudes and are happy for it to continue then fine. Regulation and regimentation wiil come our way [it is inevitable] and this type of behavior will only speed it up.
It may not do any good to complain but if you don't say anything then don't moan when some car driver tells you to "use the cyclepath" etc.

Never been a confrontational chap, I prefer to cruise by on the road with minimal effort, as they struggle bumping up and down kerbs, etc I hope they get the message. I can uderstand in part on busy road but what I cant understand is on Cul-de-sacs which only lead to a cycle path and on other very quiet road some folk are still drawn to the pavement (side walk for our American friends).

sabian92

Über Member
But if you hit him you are the one at fault as you have to stop for stuff at zebra crossings.... being morally right doesn't mean you're legally above the law. It irritates me too but what can you do... just what people do ain't it?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
At least he stopped and waited Linford. I had the scary experience once of a "cyclist" thinking he was clever, outpacing me as he rode on the pavement after i'd nearly completed a gruelling 70 miles of hills ride. I kept an eye on the idiot but i didn't expect him to fly across the zebra crossing as i was about 12 feet away doing 20mph! I put it down to him being a drugged up chav who hated law abiding cyclists!:headshake:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had the reverse the other day, cycling along the seafront road in Sunderland.

The driver of Vauxhall estate tooted his horn three times and made lots of gestures backed up by a remark that I should have been on the cycle path.

There is a shared path next to the road, but I was giving it some beans (for me) doing 15-20mph.

That's too fast for a shared path, and I'm fairly sure, against a byelaw which puts a limit of about 12mph on the path.

Frustrating not being able to explain that to moron driver.

Top Bottom