Young and having chest/angina pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thank you all! Still working to get into a quality cardiologist as soon as possible. I appreciate the input and would still love to hear from folks who've gone through similiar things and what their symptoms looked like.

Either way, I'll update on hear once I get the results from my test. Maybe it'll end up being useful to others.
I underwent open heart surgery in June last year (post is somewhere on this site)
My sympt.oms consisted of feeling feint when riding steep hills or walking up steep hills.I actualy passed out for a short time while walking in the Lake district.I had no heart pain prior to feinting. I had some pain in my left shoulder which I put down to age, I was 72 at the time.
I visited my GP who did an ECG result irregular heart beat.I was referred to my local cardiac unit where I had numerous tests re heart function result the Aortic valve wasn't opening fully and there was some restriction in blood flow in one of the arteries from the heart.
I underwent open heart surgery to replace the valve and bypass . I am fortunate that we have one of the best coronary care units in the UK The Glenfield Hospital Leicester plus a brilliant GP.
I was back riding on the road within 10 weeks and the Turbo immediately on discharge from hospital
Put some pressure on your GP to refer you for the appropriate tests ECG angiogram etc.
Good luck.

OP
OP
A

atwilson

Finished up at the Mayo Clinic today. All tests (blood panel, ECG, chest x-ray, and stress echo) came back normal with no indications of ischemia (lack of blood and oxygen to the heart), and so no sign that this is heart related. The Dr said he wasn't sure what was causing the issue, but the infrequency of it might indicate that it's something else. When asked if it could just be demanding too much work on a heart not properly trained, he couldn't say one way or the other.

So, the plan this week is to start poking the bear with a stick with VO2 max intervals and some climbs. If the symptoms start reappearing and stays isolated to times when I'm on the bike, then I'll go back for a non-invasive angiogram.

Thanks again all! I'll update this thread if something notable changes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why not ask for the loan of a portable heart event monitor, a device that you hold against your chest to catch events that only happen occasionally? Then go out and see if you get the pain again.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Be aware that not everybody has the same symptoms . I never had the pain down the arm or chest but it always felt like it was in my back muscles, like a spasm or cramp. I felt it when I smoked, rode hard uphill and when shagging! Only when I had my attack did I have the 'filing cabinet on the chest' moment.

Top Bottom