Young Child / Toddler Bike - Choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
We regularly look after our 2½yr old neice a couple of days a month, she appears to have a bit of a thing for in her words "cycles".

She can only get this from us, as neither of her parents are cyclists , although maternal grandparents are she's not had bike experience there.

I have had her out a few times in a tow along trailer, but the only bike she has is a plastic indoor trike.

I am considering getting her a balance bike or some sort of bike to use when she visits us. I think she is too young for a tag-a-long but I am not sure if a balance bike will be the right thing at that sort of age. Or should I be looking for more of a little kiddies bike with stabilisers?

We live on a quiet residential cul-de-sac with a nice flat private tarmaced area so I was thinking we could have some supervised play, and then perhaps a scoot to the park as confidence and ability grows. Certainly outdoors use.

We have our own child "on back order" which will just be brought up cycling so I don't mind getting something decent (ideally second hand) as it will get used. What are your experiences and recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Cheers.. What's the youngest you'd think for a peddling bike?

Oxo

Guru
Bought granddaughter a balance bike and she absolutely loves it. She will be 3 in a couple of weeks and has used it all summer.

Top Bottom