Young cyclist trapped under bus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting that in the same report a pedestrian suffered head injuries after being hit by a car, there will be no sudden call for peds to wear helmets though.

Mike!

Guru
Hope the outcome of this is good but I work for a bus company and it's pretty rare to come out from under one of those, there's just no room under them :sad:

Jezston

Über Member
Yikes! Thats on my commute!

Compare image in the article with this one here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=MOR...=xWf3gSFSZt1roL0mjQOqdg&cbp=12,105.19,,0,0.34

Since the google maps car did it's rounds that way, that road has been turned into a narrow single lane each way with massive pavement space either side. It's a bit of a pain to navigate by bike during rush hour, as there is simply not enough space to safely filter around vehicles, especially larger ones like buses - not that that stops some people. With lots of buses turning into the bus station, long red light phases and heavy traffic that stretch gets clogged up quickly, which often results in very impatient behaviour.

It's a shame, with all the room freed up, that the council didn't consider adding cycle lanes to this stetch.

I never cycle that stretch - it's just too busy. I agree with Jetson's comment about impatient driver behaviour. On my commute into Derby this morning I had 2 examples of drivers who were in a hurry and who could easily have caused a serious accident - one pushing out into the main road from a side street and misjudging my and other road users' speed in the process, and the second a guy who changed lanes next to me without looking so that I had to shout to be noticed.

A lot more needs to be done to make Derby's roads safer for cyclists, especially in the city centre area.

Top Bottom