Your advice on a Boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

family guy

I have been thinking it is high time I got myself a road bike as the need for speed grabs me now and then, my problem is I have a limited budget of about £350..........mmmm quite....so I went to my LBS, which is Halfords, and found a Boardman road sport within my price range.
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Boardman road sport?
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-sport-bike
Could you suggest an alternative?
Many thanks

Diggs

Veteran
Nothing wrong with a Boardman, reviews tend to be pretty good although I've not had had one.

There's a fairly good reduction on the entry level Giant here with a similar spec
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284979/products/2015-giant-defy-5-road-bike-black-silver-red.aspx

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Try it (although I've heard that at best this could be once round the car park at Halfords) and if you like it, go for it.
I've got two Boardmans (MX Sport hybrid and Road Comp) and can't fault them.

Don't forget if you're a British Cycling member (membership currently £29.70/year) you'll get 10% off everything at Halfords (£34.99 on that particular bike)

OP
OP
family guy

family guy

Nothing wrong with a Boardman, reviews tend to be pretty good although I've not had had one.

There's a fairly good reduction on the entry level Giant here with a similar spec
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284979/products/2015-giant-defy-5-road-bike-black-silver-red.aspx
Thanks for the info, the bike looks very nice along with the nice price but I live in the darkest end of Kent, I prefer to visit the shop IF I have any problems with the bike and Rutland outlets are along way north of me.
Enjoy and stay safe.:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 in joining British cycling especially if riding on roads. Get legal and third party indemnity. The halfords reduction is a bonus

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Main downside to Boardman is Halfords. Very hit and miss for service (putting the bike together) but if you know your way around a bike they offer pretty good value for money

OP
OP
family guy

family guy

Try it (although I've heard that at best this could be once round the car park at Halfords) and if you like it, go for it.
I've got two Boardmans (MX Sport hybrid and Road Comp) and can't fault them.

Don't forget if you're a British Cycling member (membership currently £29.70/year) you'll get 10% off everything at Halfords (£34.99 on that particular bike)
Thanks for the positive info and with that I am off to buy a Boardman. Cheers! Oh yes I wanted membership to the British Cycling as I have been going on several Skyrides but her indoors brought me a years membership to the CTC, Bless her......:banghead:Doh!

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough :smile: Nothing to stop you joining BC too :smile:

If you order it online and go through quidco, you can get up to 10% cashback

OP
OP
family guy

family guy

Main downside to Boardman is Halfords. Very hit and miss for service (putting the bike together) but if you know your way around a bike they offer pretty good value for money
Know what you are saying, they do seem to have a high turn over of young mechanics??? I have been in my local Halfords quite a few times and never met the same sales assistant twice. I have been lucky so far, the only problems I have had was worn BB bearings and indexing out of line due to cable stretch and with a little guidance from the Forum, no problems to fix.
Thanks for the input

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I was thinking who is A Boardman? I wonder if he's related to C Boardman?

In other news I bought a Boardman track pump today, on account of it feeling like it was of solid construction, especially when compared to the other track pumps at Halfords, which are about as effective at pumping up tyres as boiled celery.

Top Bottom