"Your back wheel's not going round"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
In the Further Adventures Of The Death Of A Bike, not only do I have to replace the bottom bracket this evening, the hub on the rear wheel seems to have kapputted itself. Some clicking and cracking in the last few days, which I assumed was the bottom bracket, but then the pedals started to slip, and now when I pedal the cassette goes round but the wheel disnae.

Would this need a replacement hub (currently Shimano Deore XT, 6000+miles) or is there some freewheel part that I can replace? I need to build another wheel anyway so that would be a good opportunity to replace the hub and spokes at the same time.

And is there any way of bodge-fixing the cassette/wheel together so I can actually pedal home this evening?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The pawls in the freehub are in the process of giving up the ghost.

This is often down to wear and tear but occasionally is due to the grease getting too heavy for the small springs- so the pawls stay shut and don't engage the hub. Ideally you should remove the freehub and squirt WD40 in the end that mates with the hub. Failing that just spray as it is and hope (spray at the wheel end pointing the spray to the drive side end).

You just need a new freehub. Normally most Shimano replacement freehubs will do but you may have to fiddle about with the seal.

Take a look at an ebay item

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-f...M975-M775-XT-M756-M525-M475-STX-/360613523526

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
OMG, just noticed the grammatical error in the thread title - in many ways that's worse than the freehub breaking. :huh:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Found I could tie a bit of brake cable through the cassette and around a few spokes, and that should get me the few miles to the station so I can get home...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If you attach the cassette to the spokes you will have to shorten the chain so that it doesn't go through the rear mech.
Otherwise, the first time you attempt to freewheel (and you will), the mech will be dragged round the wheel and wrecked, and quite possibly the frame/gear hanger as well.

Top Bottom