Your commuting speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I've been cycling to and from work for over a year now, yet I still religiously reset my computer upon commencement and literally belt out the 10 miles as fast as possible in a hope of beating my "best time", living in hope for that one magic run where I get a nice tail wind and a full run of green lights..

Am I on my own with this, or is there a frustrated time trialler in all of us? Surely pootling along leisurely does little to hold the interest day after day after day?

Funnily enough, I'm in the 'no interest in speed' group - too many poor drivers / potholes out there and I like to take my time so that I don't arrive hot and bothered.

Each to his own though! :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some commutes I like to try my best and get a fast time, others I just pootle along.
The thing is with cycling in London is that to get a decent enough quick average is made all the more harder due to the sheer amount of traffic and traffic lights causing the stop/start effect.

sabian92

Über Member
I'm not too fussed as i only ride 1.3 miles to college each way, and it's mostly flat. I can do it in 10 minutes so I don't see the need in getting hot and sweaty when I've got to sit in a hot computer room anyway (IT student).

tyred

Legendary Member
I would say that a journey to work is not a good time to be trying to set a personal best. The roads are at their busiest (unless you are on funny hours) and the chances of having an accident are at their highest. Trying to beat your PB will encourage risk taking, and then you can get a high speed run in an ambulance.

Brommie77

I've actually started to commute a longer way home just to avoid all the traffic and the lights in order to increase my average speed, but then I was getting bored with the same route after three years anyway - and the same incidents at the same pinchpoints EVERY day. New route has a longer run, faster av sp and less pinch points - all good. (or sad maybe :unsure:)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It all depends on your route, time , how much you are carrying and what else you do.

I used to hammer my commute and by the end of the week my legs were tired, but now i have entered a sportive i plan to ease off a bit during the week so i have the legs for a longer ride at the weekend.

My commute is 10 miles each way with 450 ish feet of climbing in the first/last half dependent on inward or outward journey and i average maybe 17-18 mph with 2 panniers, mudguards, lights , work clothes, sandwiches, tools etc etc.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I keep a log of my times just to see if I am making progress and getting fitter, but mainly to record my mileage.

But in london there is little to be gained by going "all out" as you invariably catch faster riders or get caught by slower riders at traffic lights.

My computer records rolling time - fastest time 41.36 slowest time 48.40, the difference is mainly due to traffic and weather. School holidays are much faster as the traffic is lighter. I would like to get under 40mins one day but I will not take risks or RLJ.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I treat my commute as training, so like to get a good speed on, although traffic conditions do dictate that at points, where it's better to ease off. I'm fortunate I've got lots of fairly clear sections, and then a few bottle necks, then clear again.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If I start arriving at work quicker I know it's time to extend the ride.

haha i have started leaving later , no pre shift overtime with parts shortages so i would rather have another 10 minutes at home.I like to leave an extra 15 mins or so early anyway to allow for a fairy visit ( shhh ! )

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My commuting forms most of my exercise so I try to push myself on most days.

I don't set off with the intention of setting a personal best, but some days you just feel in the zone and everything clicks.

I average my entire daily commute. Don't look as religiously anymore but have noticed my average creeping back up since coming back from injury and starting to lose those excess lbs I put on whilst being able to do nothing!!! Burn about 800 calories a day and am just on the cusp of basing my average on a weeks commute rather than just one day!

Top Bottom