Your dream car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
One of these maybe for me...

1943-international-harvester-m5-half-track-front.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

One of these maybe for me...

View attachment 524386
I think this is more appropriate for you @Drago

gbb

Legendary Member
I sat here and mulled what car ?...and realised, I dont have a dream car.
Reading back, a couple reminded me, TVRs always did it for me, I like american muscle cars but I dont hanker after any of them deep down, I just appreciate their beauty or brutishness.
The only car I ever fawned over, genuinely fell in love with while I was looking for a new(not brand new) car was an Alfa 156 i think , something like a 2.4 JTD. The cockpit was out of this world, my eyes literally opened wide when I opened the door...then common sense, my old nemesis won over and I walked away...

View attachment 524234

But you cant really get them anymore and they will be super expensive where found.

You saw Smokey & The Bandit as a kid too:laugh:
I saw it at the cinema, when it was released (& I was 12)
(or 'Hooper'.....)

For the capacity of the engine, all the US regulations of the time, really strangled the engine, to about 180BHP??
The film cars were no doubt, highly modified - NASCAR specification engines? (& maybe manual transmissions too?)

Not sure if you've seen the Richard Rawlings ego show (Fast n Loud), but they renovated one for a challenge, it was a 2 parter, with a partial recreation of the film
Including Aaron, as Cletus, in a Kenworth W900, with 'bandit' trailer:okay:

There's also this place, that builds 'up to the minute' Trans-Ams & Firebirds

https://transamflorida.com/VIDEOS.htm

Is 550BHP enough??:laugh:
https://transamflorida.com/1528.htm

I like how they term it 'Blocker':okay:
I'm sure you know why

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJu5e6IouDw

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Every bit the equal of yer actual Continentals, but somehow a little lacking in their style, I always thought.

IIRC that bottom pic is of a guy who was a poster on Pistonheads called Huntsman. He's since sold it.
Boat wise, the classic Fairey Huntress would make me a very happy Foodie....

View attachment 524370

Fair comment, but IIRC they were originally designed as proper all weather race-boats rather than cool sunny day riviera cruisers....not that I’d refuse a Riva....

CharlesF

Guru
Just a Citroen 2CV. Great little car. Just fold back the canvas roof and stick your bike in with the front wheel poking out of the top.
I’ll go with the opposition, Renault R4, no need to fold back the roof. A brilliant car, the more you loaded it, the better it drove.

D

Deleted member 26715

I sat here and mulled what car ?...and realised, I dont have a dream car.
I think that is the problem, I have so many cars I'd like to own, but I then get fed up with them very easily & want something else. I bought this Beetle 4 months ago, always wanted one on the road, I've fixed all the faults, I'm seriously considering selling now, but if I do what do I get next? I fancy a MX5 then putting a turbo on as they are dog slow standard, a St Bernard not a Greyhound, but if I do that as I never drive fast on the road it seems pointless.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Just a Citroen 2CV. Great little car. Just fold back the canvas roof and stick your bike in with the front wheel poking out of the top.
As I get older my cars of choice seem to be the older too.. They have to be clean inside and out though. New cars just don't float my boat at all (honestly, no envy or lack of funds etc..) My rule of thumb is that if I could go into a showroom and buy an identical replacement 'if something had happened to mine' then that is far too common and boring for me. The more basic the better appeals too. I don't like unnecessary gadgets and sensors (I am happy to check my own tyre pressures and fluid levels) and if it is the right motor then I don't mind manual locks/windows either.

gbb

Legendary Member
I quite like the new Jimny, although Suzuki are already killing it off.
For the fun factor (certainly the older ones) they are great. We hired one (with a ragtop)in Greece years ago, doggy as you like and that allowed to use it as it was meant to be, a fun tool, to get places you shouldn't, just have fun.

Top Bottom