Your favourite book genre?

Favourite literary (read: Book(!)) genre.

• Romance

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Western

• Sci-fi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reportage

• Highbrow

• Chick-lit

• Classic reads

• Adventure

• Fantasy

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpleR

Guru
The percentages add up to 266.6% :biggrin:
I clicked other, for me that means popular science books & detective novels!

I ticked other because I like lots of different kinds of book. I mostly seem to read history books nowadays, especially First and Second World War, or railway history, but I also like Iain M Banks (and his alter ego, Iain Banks), George MacDonald Fraser, Jonathan Coe, John Steinbeck and lots of others.

SamNichols

I like 20th century American fiction - particularly the writings of F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Beat authors, Hemingway, Vonnegut and Philip Roth.

Big Bren

Sci-fi & fantasy, and when I need to return to the real world for a while, I like to read autobiographies and non-fiction type stuff; Richard Dawkins 'The God Delusion' is next in line, as soon as I've finished Steven Eriksons' latest.

Bren

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
why is romance a separate category from chick-lit?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
strofiwimple said:
Why is Humour not a choice?????
Tom Sharpe every time.

I have read every on of Tom Sharpe's books, Ancestral Vices I think is my favourite. I also like Ben Eltons books as well, they are easy reads, not to taxing on the grey matter.

Emu

alecstilleyedye said:
why is romance a separate category from chick-lit?

a romance is girl meets boy and this is the central story whereas in chick lit girl meets boy doesn't necessarily feature at all.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
SamNichols said:
I like 20th century American fiction - particularly the writings of F. Scott Fitzgerald, the Beat authors, Hemingway, Vonnegut and Philip Roth.

ABSOLUTELY with you there!!! I also love Truman Capote, Paul Auster, Jay McInnery and Armistead Maupin. I also very shamefully admit to adoring Bret Easton Ellis, even though I wouldn't tell that to my Mum!!

But 20th Century European fiction is fabulous too!! I love Gunter Grass, Kundera, Boris Vian and Italo Calvino!! The last century was FABULOUS for writers!!!

bonj2

if there's any books on 'highbrow chick-clit' then that's enough to get me to read the first few pages at least.

Top Bottom