Your funny happenings, on a bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Halfway through a ride i felt the call of nature, hopped off the bike to have a pee against a tree in a lane, only to stumble on a couple of young'uns having a ride of there own about 10 yards away from the tree!
Did you manage to pea?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Posted this before but.........
Bike had toe clips. I turned left onto our drive quite fast but with my right pedal forwards. It locked solid against the front wheel so the bike stopped dead. I carried on going..... straight over the handle bars and straight over the fence. Unfortunately my feet were still in the clips so I was in a heap.... sort of in the garden with the bike hanging off my feet on the drive.
Fortunately no real injury and my first thought was....... get up quickly and hope no one is watching.

Reactions: C R

si_c

Guru
Posted this before but.........
Bike had toe clips. I turned left onto our drive quite fast but with my right pedal forwards. It locked solid against the front wheel so the bike stopped dead. I carried on going..... straight over the handle bars and straight over the fence. Unfortunately my feet were still in the clips so I was in a heap.... sort of in the garden with the bike hanging off my feet on the drive.
Fortunately no real injury and my first thought was....... get up quickly and hope no one is watching.

Had similar. Was riding down a gravel path at a fair pace trying to catch up with my Dad (I'd stopped for some reason, can't remember why now), and entered an S-section where the path crossed over a bridleway and continued. Unfortunately there were a lot of leaves covering the path, it had rained recently, and as I tried to turn out of the corner to the right, I just kept going, and ended up in a ditch on my back, still clipped in, with the bike in the air above me.

Luckily only someone from work saw me :ohmy::sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
I was on my at the time nearly brand new Trek 7100f, just ambling along alongside my wife. I saw a drink can in the road...bounced the front wheel on it as I rode along. Crush.....it wrapped round the tyre, travelled round with it until it hit the brakes, locked up and threw me straight over the handlebars as the back wheel flipped skyward. Amazingly I stayed upright and walked off as I landed.
For some reason, in that instant, we both found it hilarious.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I was bitten by a dog whilst riding up an 11% grade through a tiny French town in the Pyrénées 4 days ago. Fortunately, liberal application of antiseptic cream and a bandaid daily has prevented it from turning ugly. I actually had 4 incisions in my calf from its fangs, and b#gger it hurt getting bit! Needless to say, the 11% grade didn't seem so steep after that. :laugh:

si_c

Guru
I was bitten by a dog whilst riding up an 11% grade through a tiny French town in the Pyrénées 4 days ago. Fortunately, liberal application of antiseptic cream and a bandaid daily has prevented it from turning ugly. I actually had 4 incisions in my calf from its fangs, and b#gger it hurt getting bit! Needless to say, the 11% grade didn't seem so steep after that. :laugh:
Glad it's not too bad, but it's probably worth while getting a tetanus jab.

Reactions: C R

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Cycling along the canal towpath a few weekends ago, a middle aged guy walking towards me with a jack russell type dog pulled over to the side to let me pass. As I approached I said thanks and the wee dog got up on his hind legs and waved his paw at me.

simonali

Guru
Not exactly hilarious, but an unusual thing that once happened is that I killed a bird. It flew out of a hedge and tried flying through the front wheel, obviously unable to see the spokes. Result; a small puff of tiny feathers and one very deed blue tit.

humboldt

When I was a kid I used to go for rides along the Tarka Trail with my dad quite frequently. As we were right at the end of a ride I'd pulled ahead and decided I was going to ride over this big mound of gravel by the side of the path and (I thought) fly off the top in spectacular fashion. Instead I just embedded my front wheel deep into it which stopped me dead and I did myself an injury on the top tube.

Alan O

Über Member
Not exactly hilarious, but an unusual thing that once happened is that I killed a bird. It flew out of a hedge and tried flying through the front wheel, obviously unable to see the spokes. Result; a small puff of tiny feathers and one very deed blue tit.
I had one recently fly right through between my front wheel and downtube, between my legs and cranks, without touching anything. I suspect it didn't even notice me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a rabbit run alongside me on a fast descent once. It suddenly decided that it would be better to run across the road between my front wheel and back wheel, rather than up the embankment next to it. It managed to do it without getting hit!

On another occasion I was doing a descent down a bridleway and noticed some kind of hawk sat on the dry stone wall ahead, on my right. As I went past it launched itself into the air and set off in pursuit of me. Soon it came alongside about 3 feet from my head. It flew parallel to my course, looking across at me and I stared back, almost crashing into the wall as a result. After about 10 seconds it accelerated into the distance and landed on the wall again. It stared at me nonchalantly as I passed it for the second time. I thought that was a pretty cool experience.

Had a pheasant follow me once. Noticed it running alongside me the other side of a fence...stayed with me for 20-30 seconds (I'm not very fast!) then when the ground fell away on his side of the fence I thought he would stop but he didnt, he ducked under the wire and came alongside me on the road (very quiet country roads). He again stayed pace with me for another 500 yards before I began to get a bit freaked out (was a big bird, 2 foot from my ankles) and decided to accelerate. He just stopped dead and stayed looking at me for what seemed like ages. I think he either wanted to fight me or shag me, ! Either way I'm sure I saw a tear in his eye as I rode off into the distance ^_^

Top Bottom