Your opinions on my final gcse engineering product please

Do you think this project is helpful to cyclists?

• Yes

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
I would be much grateful if you could take your time to review my product in detail for my gcse engineering coursework. This is my final product I have made in a year long project. It will fit at the back of the saddle with the switches at the handlebars. There are yellow indicators for left and right and red ones(in the middle) for to warn motorists coming from behind. Also, there is an ultrasonic range finder which will detect cars and other vehicles coming from behind and will sound an alarm. As the car gets closer and closer, the beep will get more intense and frequent (much like the car parking sensors). Finally, there is a reflective material which will reflect back the light from the cars back to them to grab their attention. Thanks very much for your help. Attached is an image which only shows the green LEDs which are on when it is dark

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is this attached to the rider or the bike? It's a bit bulky but I guess it could be made smaller.
Good idea but needs refinement.

Are you a cyclist?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
There have been many attempts to come up with indicators for a bicycle, but it is difficult to come up with a solution that is more efficient than basic hand signals. But I am sure you have learned a lot from the process and good luck for the GCSE. Who knows, we might see you in Dragon's Den in a few years time.

Hi all,
I would be much grateful if you could take your time to review my product in detail for my gcse engineering coursework. This is my final product I have made in a year long project. It will fit at the back of the saddle with the switches at the handlebars. There are yellow indicators for left and right and red ones(in the middle) for to warn motorists coming from behind. Also, there is an ultrasonic range finder which will detect cars and other vehicles coming from behind and will sound an alarm. As the car gets closer and closer, the beep will get more intense and frequent (much like the car parking sensors). Finally, there is a reflective material which will reflect back the light from the cars back to them to grab their attention. Thanks very much for your help. Attached is an image which only shows the green LEDs which are on when it is dark View attachment 505323

While it's easy to be critical of the human factors in devices like these, it Looks like you've produced an impressive gcse project so well done.

Critical parts
" The ultrasound will be of little use to the bike rider - what can they do with a vehicle coming up fast behind. It would be better on the car. It could help a bit when cars are sitting on your backside trying to overtake, but you can generally hear them. Maybe more benefit with quiet electric cars?
* Indicators are a decent idea (they have been in helmets, jackets, ...). But tbh, Is still stick my hand out as it forces you to glance round at the same time. Almost doing the Dutch method for opening car doors. Just relying on indicators may discourage this a bit.

Feel a bit mean, so just to reiterate, it Looks an impressive bit of kit.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The last thing I’d want is an increasingly annoying alarm / noise getting louder and louder as a car approaches. In traffic it would be sounding loud all the time. I take it you don’t ride a bike as it is quite easy to hear approaching cars already.

The saddle is not a good mounting point and car drivers are unlikely to notice indicators on a bike. I can’t see the lights working in bright sunshine when a car is say 75m away. Have you tested it outdoors in bright sunshine, at that distance or greater.

But I too am also of the opinion that indicators on a bike are second rate to the good old mk1 arm signal. Indicators are not a solution to anything for bicycle.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi all,
I would be much grateful if you could take your time to review my product in detail for my gcse engineering coursework. This is my final product I have made in a year long project. It will fit at the back of the saddle with the switches at the handlebars. There are yellow indicators for left and right and red ones(in the middle) for to warn motorists coming from behind. Also, there is an ultrasonic range finder which will detect cars and other vehicles coming from behind and will sound an alarm. As the car gets closer and closer, the beep will get more intense and frequent (much like the car parking sensors). Finally, there is a reflective material which will reflect back the light from the cars back to them to grab their attention. Thanks very much for your help. Attached is an image which only shows the green LEDs which are on when it is dark View attachment 505323
Great as a GCSE project. Useless in the real world. Should get a good result though.

^^^^^another wot e sed^^^^^^

lazybloke

Considering a new username
You lot obviously cycle far too slowly because there are plenty of times that wind noise prevents me hearing cars approaching from behind!

Not sure I'd buy the indicator / ultrasound thing, but I love the concept as a Design & Technology project.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any option to extend the wiring between both working ends?

What type of power supply, built in battery or replaceable.

You lot obviously cycle far too slowly because there are plenty of times that wind noise prevents me hearing cars approaching from behind!

Not sure I'd buy the indicator / ultrasound thing, but I love the concept as a Design & Technology project.

My wind can be quite noisy as well, but I prefer to keep quiet about it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
As @Drago says, it's a good piece of design work, and looks OK for a prototype.
However, these things have been invented, marketed and sunk without a trace many times before.
I'm almost surprised that you didn't get an accelerometer triggering a brake light too.
Anyone who thinks they've invented something, almost always just hasn't done their research.

Top Bottom