Your own bike lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have a look at this article that talks about a laser system that you can attach to bikes to provide your own 'light' cycle lane.

I know what I think of it, but I would be interested to find out what you think!

:smile:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bike lanes have proven to be an effective method of protecting cyclists on congested roads.

Mmmmmmmm

I might have a word with a mate of mine that uses some hefty lasers for his research ('heft' being the SI units of laser power). Having your face burned off might provide a greater deterrence for the careless driver.:smile::becool:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
What a bizarre notion!!! So when I turn right the lane follows me into the centre of the road... and cars will take any notice of it?? I think not.

Perhaps it could be adapted just to project a 'safety space' around the cyclist - a sort of crosshatched area around them to try and mentally force the driver to give them more room... can't see the point of the cycle lane bit though.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

In my experience if you provide a cycle lane, it compartmentalises the cyclist, i.e. the cyclist is nice and safe in his cycle lane, so I don't need to worry about him. So providing a lane that follows you about is IMO madness! Especially the one shown in this case which is far too narrow, if it is suppose to highlight the space that a car should give a cyclist. It should be as wide as my silly attempt at a poster demonstrates! :becool:

I'd also be surprised if it would be allowed to shine lasers on the road like this. What if one laser was misaligned and shone in a drivers eyes for instance?

And as BM points out, the cyclist doesn't actually have any lights, or more importantly isn't wearing hi-viz......:smile:

thomas

the tank engine
I think it's a nice concept, bit flawed a bit. I think the fact he doesn't have lights is just to emphasise the lane, not a suggestion.

skwerl

pile of shite

rnscotch

Veteran
I like sharkybloke's idea of it projecting a 'safety space' around the cyclist. Cycle lane idea is just silly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
rnscotch said:
I like sharkybloke's idea of it projecting a 'safety space' around the cyclist. Cycle lane idea is just silly.

I think that the idea of the space needed around a cyclist could be a good idea, not necessarily for normal cycling but as an educational tool. Can't think when you would target these motorist though.

I've often thought about having two marker pens ... one black, one gold (so it doesn't matter if they have a black car) on a stick to my right ... so that I could draw a lovely line down the side of any close passing car. (Can't work out how to avoid passing cyclists though:biggrin:)

Top Bottom