Your reading list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Well, I've just re-read all my Terry Pratchett discworld novels, just waiting for Unseen Academicals to come out on paper back.

I then decided to read the books I got given for Christmas. Not the the type I would generally tend to read, they seem to be WWII romance novels. "Through the Storm" by Maureen Lee is what I'm currently on. It's not too bad, but then I once read a few Danielle Steele novels I was given :biggrin:.

I'll probably start on my Classics again afterwards. Starting with the likes of Jane Austen I think :thumbsup:.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm reading a Christmas present from my son about the history of MI5. It's about the size of a breeze block and pretty hard going. I may have to abandon it.

gbb

Legendary Member
A mix for me between Stephen Leather...ive got several of his to get through, i enjoy the military/ undercover/government/ assassin/ thriller sides to his books...
and just revisited Alexander Solzhenitzyns Gulag Archipeligo. Getting to the library soon to get Gulag 2...which i didnt know existed, which covers the gulags themselves, rather than the gulag system history.

Its so easy to forget the library. After several recommendations here about Stalingrad, i looked for ages in secondhand bookshops for a copy...only to remember months later...there's a library 500 yards from my front door ;) Very very good book.

Bandini

Yellow Fang said:
Then I think I may read Little Women, just to find out what makes women tick.

Ha ha! Well, you might find out what makes 19th century non-conformist, American transcendentalist teenagers tick!

I am reading The Necropolis Railway. S'alright.

Bandini

slowmotion said:
Low-brow, some would say, but WH Auden was a big fan...no , I found that out later, before stumbling on them myself....

All the Raymond Chandler thrillers. "She had legs to make a Bishop kick in a stained glass window". Fabulous plots, and written with a wonderful brevity of phrase.

{ exists to Pseuds-Corner bunker, clutching at bow tie}

Chandler is great. If you like lean, muscular noir, have you tried James Elroy and David Peace? Excellent.

Actually, Peace is quite poetic in places - but both great.

rh100

rich p said:
I'm reading a Christmas present from my son about the history of MI5. It's about the size of a breeze block and pretty hard going. I may have to abandon it.

Oh dear, I bought that for my Dad for Christmas, he's not mentioned it since! Ah well, I'll borrow it off him and give it a go.

rh100

Plax said:
Well, I've just re-read all my Terry Pratchett discworld novels, just waiting for Unseen Academicals to come out on paper back.

I then decided to read the books I got given for Christmas. Not the the type I would generally tend to read, they seem to be WWII romance novels. "Through the Storm" by Maureen Lee is what I'm currently on. It's not too bad, but then I once read a few Danielle Steele novels I was given ;).

I'll probably start on my Classics again afterwards. Starting with the likes of Jane Austen I think :hungry:.

Pratchett's books are great, humourous and quite observant. I do prefer the older ones though. Some of the recent ones got a bit formulaic, but still worth a read.

Plax

Guru
rh100 said:
Pratchett's books are great, humourous and quite observant. I do prefer the older ones though. Some of the recent ones got a bit formulaic, but still worth a read.

I tend to agree on that front, although I did enjoy the Moist Von Lipwig ones (Making Money and Going Postal). I found with the latter books Commander Vimes and Lord Vetinari seemed to be written differently, to my distaste. I accept character evolution and all that and Vimes's character was fine when the book was evolving around him (i.e. Thud), but in books where he had "bit parts" (i.e. The Truth) I didn't like the way his part was written. Perhaps it was because it was in third person rather than as him.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
What the fossils say and why it matters.

My OU Geology course books (I'm only a month behind now!)

Top Bottom