Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Right then tonight i broke the bike out after a few weeks absence and had a 3 mile pottle round the town in my ............JEANS.....does this make me a bit hardcore or just hard on my backside ?
Probably just threadbare in the crotch area if you keep doing that.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Started my new workout regime - a 5km ride round Darley Park, crossing the river twice. Got dropped by two roadies on Kedleston Rd early on. That road is seriously rough - the patch over the cable TV trench is still there - I was following that home from the pub 20 years ago! I will start riding back up the valley, honest...

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
20140518_175827_cr.jpg

A bit of a showery ride for me yesterday, not really a event as such but a shakedown of my newest explorer project bike. I have been using a Scott P3 hybrid as my pottering/shopping steed as my pictures show but I had an idea about using the stronger wheels on that one on an old Trek 1000 bike that was otherwise pure but old-school racer. I have written up the full story of that in my blog but I wanted to ride it today to see if it gave me the characteristics I was after and see if there were any problem areas. So I set out on a 45k route with not too much in the way of climbing, pretty rubbish weather, not much to report sights wise and I didn't stop much. Apart from that it was interesting, well to me anyway as I was able to sort out some issues on the way and have some thoughts on what to do next!
Oh, and I don't normally have names for my bikes but I decided this one will be called Del Boy... it's made out of a Trek and a Scott, making Trott, it's for pottering, so Trotter, so of course Del Boy. :thumbsup: But it only has two wheels.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Back to earth with a bang! After a 25 mile TT PB on Saturday including my best ever power for the distance, I thought I'd go and have a tilt at the club 10 last night. Absolutely garbage, ended up 20-30W down on my normal 10 mile TT power clocking 21:44 for 3rd place (it's not a BAD time, but it is not very rewarding knowing it was so far below my potential). Having my normal power wouldn't have improved my position as the 2 lads that beat me are both class acts, but it would have improved my sense of a job well done and I'd have clocked a short 21!

Coach will probably say something philosophical about it...

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Day off work today so I wanted to do an imperial century. Weather forecast for today hasn't been brilliant over the last few days, so I was expecting to abandon.

So I set off with no route in mind, I ended up at first near Rutland so thought I would go face the two hills that beat me the other month. They were still bloody difficult but managed to get up them without getting off the bike.

After around 25 miles the sky went very dark, the wind really picked up and it threw it down, I'm in ss top and shorts, very wet and miserable. This lasted for about 10 minutes and the rain stopped, the wind dropped and I started to dry out, so I continued to ride, randomly going down roads, of which on the whole ride I only went down the "wrong" road three times.

1) because it took me on a single track road that was three miles long and obviously a rat run to the A47 due to the amount of cars that were on it, so it was very much stop start down that stretch and it was very hilly - Strava has a segment that averages 14%.

2) It was taking me in the totally wrong direction and I was about ready to turn for home, so I just turned around.

3) The road was very wet and gravelly then it turned into the potholed road from hell and then it just disappeared into a dirt track, so again I turned around - strangely there is a Strava segment as well here and I got sixth place on it.

106 miles later back home, loads of new roads ridden on and one satisfied rider, glad the weather held as it looks worse for the rest of the week.

Only thing that spoilt the ride was having to stop twice to deal with calls from work

http://www.strava.com/activities/143412598

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
17.34 miles today, along the Kennet & Avon canal on the MTB to the tea shop at Aldermaston, which was closed. Thirsty and starving I battled on via the A4 and some lovely country lanes in the hope that I would find somewhere…anywhere to quench my thirst and feed me. As it happens I stumbled upon a very nice and quite posh tea shop next to The Bladebone pub. So I had a bit of nosh and then cycled home. A circular route half of which I had not cycled before. It was a bit cool out; someone had nicked the old currant bun, but a nice ride non-the-less.

1-IMG_0683.JPG

Its a bit overcast, a barge going through a swing bridge along the K&A.
2-IMG_0684.JPG

My Dream car stuck in traffic on the A4
3-IMG_0685.JPG

4-IMG_0686.JPG

http://www.douaiabbey.org.uk/index.html

6-IMG_0688.JPG

Quiet Lanes, this one is called Dark Lane.

7-IMG_0689.JPG

nom nom nom, enough grub here for @vernon ...but no pies

8-IMG_0690.JPG

The last piece of Black Forest.

Bucklebury Loop.png

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We had a new towbar fitted to our car today so while they were doing that, we jumped on the bikes and went for a pootle into Aylsham with a view to having lunch at the Black Boys PH. We were starting off from Horstead, near Coltishall so it was 10.35 miles there in about 49 minutes. The sun was shining and we were not hurrying. We stopped to take a pic of a nice peacock but I couldn't get my new phone to do the camera thing before the peacock buggered off in for his lunch. We stopped again, just before Aylsham, to take piccys of the river with the willow over it and the big house in the distance. I have left my USB thingy for the phone (not the same one as on my garmin, camera, tom tom or old phone of course) in the car so I'll add them later.

At the BB PH we were just too late for lunch but about 2 minutes. We had a coke and then nipped over to the Co-op and got a couple of meal deal sarnies, flapjack and ribena to top up our bottles and then headed back. My Garmin only recorded there. For some reason it didn't record back, although it gave me directions. I might have forgotten to press something though. No matter, I'll grab it off Hubster's Garmin when he gets in from Dialysis.

Really nice ride and 600 odd feet of climbing. It was 353' on the way there. Garmin said that we descended 298' so I guess that I must have climbed back up them. I really enjoyed the hills too. Made a nice change to ride a rolling route rather than the less than rolling rides around here. I'll add pics later :thumbsup:

21 and a bit miles his said, there and back in 1:42:somethingorother.

Gareth C

Veteran
London Revolution

This weekend was the Mitie London Revolution, a two-day circumnavigation of London run by Threshold Sports, the guys who will be running the Ride Across Britain in September. It’s billed as a good training event to see how you cope with two big days back-to-back, and also to experience the campsite arrangements that we’ll be living in between Land’s End and John O’Groats. As I’d ridden a few stages last year, and had a kind offer of a bed for the night locally, I was just signed up for the “ride only” package. To be in the right place at the right time, I’d arranged my Friday meeting in Holland to be a flight out-and-back from Heathrow. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, when you’re recovering from back pain, cramming yourself into a plane, pulling out luggage at unnatural angles and generally doing the travel thing isn’t best preparation. My back, that had been gradually getting less painful, wasn’t in a good place on Friday night. However, riding around Brian’s street was do-able, so I thought “in for a penny, in for a pound.”

Saturday morning was a quick dash around the North Circular Road to Lee Valley stadium, and efficient registration process, and a meet-up with Neal and Anthony. The Flanders dream-team was back together.

On the starting line our Dulux team was grouped up with a big bunch of folk in London Pride jerseys. The route organiser, Andy Cook, spotted us, and seeing us in team kit from last year’s Ride Across Britain, with a nod and a wink let us out onto the road. The initial ride out through Enfield was a series of traffic lights, traffic and junctions, but rather quickly we found ourselves out in the countryside and outside the M25. Skirting Hertford and Welwyn Garden City on lovely back-roads, we arrived at our first feed station at the little village of Kimpton.

instagramcapture_df00e728-a684-4419-8973-ba605ef26e91_jpg.jpg

The route thus far had been “lumpy” and this theme was to continue through the day. The route had been changed from the previous year, and more climbing had been added (advertised at 1200m, but at the end of the day, it was closer to 1900m).

Four hours in at Little Gaddesden Neal insisted we stop for an unauthorized food stop at a nice little pub. This broke things up nicely, but did get us some cat-calls from other passing cyclists. A family on the next table asked where we had cycled from, and were very impressed when we told them “East London.” Others in the bar thought we might be on the Chiltern Hundred, where cyclists were doing timed laps of the Chilterns (though why you’d stop for a leisurely pub lunch on such an event didn’t register).

instagramcapture_f410a345-d0b9-494e-bd6f-2b72429428c4_jpg.jpg

Onwards, and more hills. At this point we started to see people walking up the more challenging hills. As we headed to our second feed station at Princes Risborough, both water bottles were empty. The day had turned into a scorcher.

0177c-lonrev26-4880.jpg

0177-lonrev12-8543.jpg

We were now heading back onto familiar territory from my time working in Slough, and it didn’t seem long before we were crossing the M40 and descending to Marlow. The route took us up the zig-zags onto Winter Hill. A year ago when training with Brian, I’d suggested we ride up this route, and his reply can’t be reproduced here. However, a year on and 90 miles into our ride, we just got on with it. We knew this was the last major climb, and there would be a fast run along the Drift Road to the finish at Ascot Racecourse.

So we did it, we had a celebratory beer at the end, and by the time we were back at Brian’s, washed and fed, it was time for bed.

The down-side was that the following day my back was giving me problems. While it would have been great to ride Day 2 in perfect weather (too hot, maybe), I decided letting my back rest and recover was more important, and ducked out. Anthony rode Day 2, and texted me at around 10:30 telling me it was an easier day and he was already on top of Box Hill. He later texted me again telling me he had to walk up the climb onto the North Downs (many did) and the ride into and through London wasn’t too enjoyable (lots of traffic lights breaking up the flow). Kudos to him for completing it though!

So now back at work, and rode to/from work, with Strava reporting a handful of PBs, so something must have improved over the weekend. Just waiting for the back to fully recover now – hopefully no more flights for a month or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom