Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
View attachment 46956 Trying to get back into my physio routine of ride-rest-ride, motivation is next to nothing, and the wind today was no help. Sure the headwind fairy mad sure she was in my face the whole time. Still on the hybrid so Thames towpath for me from Egham to Chertsey and back through the cycle/foot paths round the back of Chertsey to home. 14 miles and 1.5hrs. Only 1 picky today, Chertsey Bridge looking quite nice.

On the other side of that bridge where those buildings are I swam across the Thames when I was about 18, the summer of '76 I think.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If it's any help @cosmicbike I certainly always enjoy reading that you are getting out on the bike again

Me too, especially as I lived round there for thirty years.

BAtoo

Über Member
A good day today; I'm back in the flatlands heading towards the Elbe at Gluckstadt from Hessel, maximum elevation 200ft; elevation gain/mile under 10ft....(easier than the 80ft/miles 2 days ago...)
Anyway 97 miles (I know). First 40M at 14.7mph, Last 50 or so at 12.7 -but a lot more towns and the odd slope.
Had a ferry ride across the Elbe if bright sunshine too ^_^.

format

Über Member
Went out south from Glasgow City Center on the a77, all the way out to whitelees into the wind, then took the turn and back into Glasgow via the windfarm and clarkston etc. 44km all in.

Avg speed 30.8 km/h on a solo ride - wouldn't have dreamed of this sort of pace this time last year. Chuffed!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
16.58 miles today, just my normal loop to test ride the road bike after the four hour fettle it had yesterday. I'm please to report that everything ran smoothly and the bike seemed to be going faster than normal.

Somone in a tatty Subaru 4x4 thing close passed me at speed on a single track road near a T junction, I got a bit sweary bur they didn't hear me, I nearly caught the car at the junction but just missed them. A mile further on up it was parked outside someone's house, I slowed to see if I could see the driver, and I saw a woman coming up the drive to the car, she was wearing horsey clothes.

Me: Do you ride a horse?
Woman: Yes...
Me: you close passed me too fast back there, really dangerous, if I had done that to you whilst you were on your horse you'd have something to say about it wouldn't you?
W: yes...I'm sorry I didn't realise.
Me: we need as much room as horse riders...
W: I'm sorry..

I rode off.

Apart from that it was a nice ride, the roads were dry even after all of yesterdays rain, the sun was out, it was a bit blowy but the bike seemed to fly...I love it when it does that.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Brilliant ride today and a conversation with a young, rail thin cyclist on a Spesh Venge.

I headed out on the Wreningham - Hethel route. Said 'hello' to a chap that I am pretty sure was Martin Shaw as I was going along. At Hethel I rode along the cyclepath and then turned left and headed back towards Wymondham. I waited for a bit while the train passed at the crossing and then set off again through one of the little housing estates in Wymondham and then out onto Tuttles lane and then turned right for Little Melton.

Nice wee route along the Melton Road and then up the hill to the B1108. It was up this hill I saw the Venge. Black and red one all shiney and new looking. A lycra clad chap who looked about 20 was struggling up the not very impressive hill there. I overtook him and said 'Hi'. He said something about being knackered and I said to jump on to my back wheel, which he did for about 10 seconds then I heard him say "Can you stop accelerating?" I replied "Rule 5" and left him to it.

Once on the B1108, I turned right, over the double roundabouts and down towards the hospital. I got my head down and pedaled and got up to 30mph on the PX for the first time. I got stopped at the traffic lights for ages and ages. It seems that bikes don't trigger the right filter lights. I was seriously considering RLJing when a car arrived and triggered the lights.
I got up the hill perfectly happily and at the roundabout where I meet Hubster, I noticed that I'd done just over 18.5 miles. I thought that it was just rude to stop there so I carried on up the hill to the Eaton roundabout and then on to the next one on the Roundwell estate and back again and arrived at the layby, where I meet hubster, at 20.02 miles. 1:18:12 so I was chuffed with that. I climbed for 350 feet but don't remember going up anything much so must be getting fitter. I am no longer going up hill and feeling sick with the effort so something good must be happening.

Well it was yesterday.

I had fitted a new aero wheel cover and it was dryand bright, although a little windy; so what could go wrong on the club TT :wacko:
Woke with gunged up with hayfever that morning (nose perfectly clear, throat clear and just a heavy layer of mucus in between xx()
Got circa 2 miles down the road towards a blind corner (a minor road entry to busier road) and catching my minute woman already, then the marshal tells me to slow down for traffic. The last car on the main road was a learner and they got confused my the marshal telling me to slow down and slowed down to a crawl them self :sad:
Then struggled to get going again into a strong headwind :sad::sad:
Looking at the comparrason the ride seemed to go ok after that and I recaught my minute woman at around 5miles.
I took the last corner too cautious though, not knowing how the wheel would handle suddenly going into a side wind on a tight corner that's often covered in gravel, and sat up.:sad::sad::sad:
The wheel never budged a bit and the gravel was gone!
After all that over a minute down on my pb.
You guessed it they had pinned number 13 on my back :ohmy:

Last night's ride is at the bottom.

TTCompare-1.png

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2773974

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Having finished work at stupid o'clock this morning, and into bed by 03:00, I was out and about by 09:00 to meet a mate for coffee at his then a quick blast up to, and around Pitsford Reservoir..We used the bottom end of the Brampton Valley Way, past Chapel Brampton station,

DSC_2237.jpg

then up and down the hill via Merry Tom crossing.

I wanted to check some bits and pieces out in the LBS at Pitsford, so we decided that an ice-cream was in order,

DSC_2239.jpg

Purely for cooling purposes.. Smartie and crushed choccy egg, with a flake poked in the top :becool:

After the refreshments, we rode clockwise round the water, which today, for a change, was bug free!! Usually it's full of the blighters..

DSC_2240.jpg

Quick pose at the southern end of the res, then a run for home so I have a few mins for lunch before aiming off to work..Booo :angry:

Ne'er mind, 31 miles in lovely warm sunshine, with an espresso in the back garden when we finished.

:sun:

http://www.strava.com/activities/150094629

Last edited:

jayonabike