Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MikeW-71. I have always found that we get a real mixture of drivers in the Castle Carrock area. The wife (who is a Penton Lass) tells me some of the country lads like to try and get as close as possible to cyclists (and slower motorists) to put the wind up them, while the older generation of drivers are still a little bemused at being overtaken by some one on a bike and are not sure how to handle us. There is some bony climbs on the route you took especially that one out of Armathwaite up and over the Carlisle-Settle line. I am normally alright going up it but if I get stopped at the crossing I find it a devil to get started again!! In regard to your Scotby driver you can get the same thing with pedestrians. I crossed over Wetheral viaduct yesterday (I know I should have dismounted but I did not), there was an old couple walking up from Wetheral station and for some reason they decided that they were not going to give way to a cyclist, so I just had to go in to crawl mood behind them, right up to the Plains road.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Yesterday's ride started at 9 and involved a 25 mile round trip incorporating CraggVale. My companion started with a binding rear brake and a bit of a wobble, so I tweaked a couple of loose spokes for him and centred the caliper, then in Sowerby Bridge he managed to run into the back of me at a junction spiking his tyre on my cassette. he had neither tube, pump nor patches so I patched it for him and got to try out my new CO2 inflator. A pleasure to ride up Cragg Vale with all the houses and sides of the road decked out for today's stage. A real blast down to Ripponden and a coffee stop in Sowerby Bridge. I got home just in time to find @Fnaar and @MartinG on the doorstep, so a latte and carrot cake break for them. Great to meet some new forum members. We then rode together up to Buckstones before they peeled off towards Scammonden Bridge and I turned round and enjoyed a cruise back home. There's a Strava Segment on the last climb and run to Scape where I set a new PB, cleaving 1 min 10 off my best to date. Yay.

Cold

My ride yesterday was the worst I have had so far no energy at all and my eyes were streaming the whole way didn't enjoy it and just wanted to go home after about 20 minutes.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My ride yesterday, bit late but I was home late. Despite best intentions to get out in the morning, I found myself doing domestics instead, then the school fete, so I gave up and decided on a post dinner evening ride. It cooled off nicely, so long sleeves and shorts were in order. I had no idea where I was going, and started with a circuit of Egham whilst I considered my options, before taking a long winded route through Englefield Green to get to Windsor Great Park. Spent the next 1.5 hours in the park, it's a wonderful place, and so very peaceful after the car parks shut at 7pm. At times I felt I was the only one there, and I counted no more than 10 others. My rear light batteries went flat, so a brief pause to fit new ones and a photo opportunity. The colour of the trees doesn't come out well, but they are a very deep purple colour
5 July 2014 Polo Club Trees.jpg

A couple of nice downhill's, and in a somewhat out of character moment I did allow myself a loud 'wooohooo' on one, just to please certain CC members:whistle:
I ended up near home with 28 miles done, and it seemed rude not to extend it a little and make 30 miles, so I did:smile: 31 miles, tired but chuffed to get a 100 mile week, that's 2 in a row now.
The whole ride was accompanied by a horrible notchy feeling in the cranks, which I put down to the pedals. Checking today found the entire bottom bracket loose and 'rocking' in the frame, so stripped and rebuilt, all is well now

Hopefully back at work next week, and then perhaps my cycling will become about riding because I want to, rather than a must do.....

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My ride yesterday, bit late but I was home late. Despite best intentions to get out in the morning, I found myself doing domestics instead, then the school fete, so I gave up and decided on a post dinner evening ride. It cooled off nicely, so long sleeves and shorts were in order. I had no idea where I was going, and started with a circuit of Egham whilst I considered my options, before taking a long winded route through Englefield Green to get to Windsor Great Park. Spent the next 1.5 hours in the park, it's a wonderful place, and so very peaceful after the car parks shut at 7pm. At times I felt I was the only one there, and I counted no more than 10 others. My rear light batteries went flat, so a brief pause to fit new ones and a photo opportunity. The colour of the trees doesn't come out well, but they are a very deep purple colour
View attachment 49578
A couple of nice downhill's, and in a somewhat out of character moment I did allow myself a loud 'wooohooo' on one, just to please certain CC members:whistle:
I ended up near home with 28 miles done, and it seemed rude not to extend it a little and make 30 miles, so I did:smile: 31 miles, tired but chuffed to get a 100 mile week, that's 2 in a row now.
Hopefully back at work next week, and then perhaps my cycling will become about riding because I want to, rather than a must do.....

:cheers::laugh:

BigAl68

Über Member
I had a very pleasant 50km from Bath out along the cycle path where I met my mate at Mangotsfield . We then went back to Bath, through the two tunnels and back along the canal path to Bath. The canal path isn't the most suited to road bikes but we just imagine it's the strade bianche. Sun was shining and the company was good so a nice Sunday morning ride.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I see you were close to joglerville cybernight :hello:

D

Deleted member 1258

Catthorpe the destination 60 miles the journey, the plan was for a short ride before watching the British GP, the ride out was short and direct, near withybrook I was passed by a Hybrid rider who was faster than me on the hills but slower on the flat, we passed and repassed several times before we parted company, near Pailton I was passed by an old restored Messerschmitt three wheeler,
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C484661
I got to Shawell lane and there was work going on, looked like there was a new road being built, lots of trees and stuff been cleared, made a right mess of a lovely lane, I got to the Cafe early and couldn't resist taking the long route home, Shawell, Walcote, Crimcote, Bruntingthorpe, Peatling Pava and Gilmorton, I ended up getting home about a quarter of an hour after the start of the GP after a lovely morning on the bike.

20140706_103922.jpg

Cafe Stop

20140706_113507.jpg

Arnesby Lane

MikeW-71

Veteran
The wife (who is a Penton Lass) tells me some of the country lads like to try and get as close as possible to cyclists (and slower motorists) to put the wind up them, while the older generation of drivers are still a little bemused at being overtaken by some one on a bike and are not sure how to handle us.
Thankfully I have rarely had close passes, the only noteable one really was some ar$e in a BMW on a commute. Drivers now seem so much more aware of cyclists and are showing much more patience, which is great for us. They always get a thankyou wave if they are nice :smile:

Armathwaite is a lovely little village, but every road out of it involves a steep climb. First time I went there shortly after I started cycling a couple of years back, I went in down the Station road and popped into the shop. The shopkeeper then told me that "well, no matter which way you're going back, you'll have to climb a hell of a hill!". And he was right. I suffered on the way back :heat:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We waited until the TdF was finished for today and then went out (the sun is finally shining now we have got home) in patchy sun and cloudy weather.
We just rode the Wreningham Cyclepath route, we've ridden it a gazillion times before and as we both felt really tired, we thought that a nice little 10.9 miles would be a bit of a tonic.
I took the Defy for a change, as I'd just been sorting out the bars and brifter position. The rear brake is still not right but the bike is rideable. I can't sort it, hubster can't sort it so I'll take it to the LBS through the week and they can sort it out. After quarter of a mile we had to stop and sort out the seat position. As far as I know, it's not moved any since I rode the bike daily but after the PX, it was deeply horrible. The saddle is really comfy, I might swap it over for the saddle on the PX if the new (to me) Spoon doesn't suit my bum, but it seemed to be pointing downwards. When I looked at it, and then put my water bottle on it, it seemed mostly level but I changed the position and its much better. I only moved it the tiniest smidge but it really did the trick. I stopped in another quarter of a mile and moved the seat 1/4" forward. It's just about perfect now.

We averaged 13mph around the ride - moving speed that is - and took about 50 mins about it. Nice evening. Both of us felt tired, even though we didn't ride yesterday at all. Maybe I should get some pasta inside us as I feel really empty legged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom