Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I looked out the window this morning and saw that everything was covered in frost, I looked at the weather online and saw it was going to be cold, so I went back upstairs and put another layer on, I then went out and did a 58 mile fixed ride in the cold and frost, the original stop was was the Wellesbourne Water mill but it was closed so I back tracked and went in the Garden Centre by Charlecote Park instead. lovely bright sunny but very cold morning, even the main roads across Coventry were covered in hoar frost first thing, most had two clear tracks down them, some of the lanes were a bit interesting as well, but by the time I'd had my coffee stop most of it had gone, just the odd patch in the shade to catch out the unwary, another excellent winter fixed ride, slow and steady, but as it was my first one for about a week and I'd eaten and drank too much over Xmas and hadn't done much it was nice to get out and put some miles in.

Image0225a.jpg
Image0227.jpg

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Took the ferry to Dunoon this morning and did just under 33 mile round the Holy Loch then up yon killer climb at Glen Finnart(I only did a %) and back down Loch Eck and back to the pier at Dunoon.
My thighs are aching..
I'm too old for hills like that....
but this makes it all worthwhile (I stopped on the descent)

loch-eck-beckons.jpg

Last edited:
Just back in from today's ride after not being able to get out yesterday due to family commitments (helping parents out again). So I was really looking forward to today's ride and no amount of ice was going to stop us or it! :birthday:

We woke to clear blue skies and a harsh frost - in places the ice has stayed with us all day! There was only really one aim for today - to find some new roads and it was successful with us finding plenty of new roads and one or two climbs we knew nothing about.

Early on, it was really icy, with lack of speed being the key to survival, along with totally ignoring cars trying to overtake and staying well away from the edges of the roads which were more like an ice rink. In Winsford I realised too late that we needed to turn off the road we were on, signalling left to stop my OH, I took one look at a pub car park/ice rink and dismissed it instantly - the 'main' road would have to do and even that was more icy than I realised. I turned to check on my OH to find he had baled to the ice ring car park and had suddenly rediscovered some childhood cycling skills... foot down and spinning the rear wheel out and the bike road inside the length of the bike...:becool: yep mate I know what happened even if the pedestrian looked impressed! :laugh:. I dismounted and walked carefully across the icy road instead! My OH decided to blame the navigator instead! :whistle: :wacko:. From Winsford it was totally new roads for us, it was just a shame about the road surface and the ice.... At one point on a slight down hill to the right, uphill to the left there were slow signs across the road, only they had a red background to highlight them - I could actually see the ice pattern, criss-crossed over the red pain! Then we had the idiot of the day: so busy trying to overtake 2 cyclists, giving them loads of room, that he (yep it was a he) failed to notice the oncoming car. The only reason we are not witnesses to an accident was that both drivers hit their brakes and literally nose-dived their vehicles into the tarmac which just gave the idiot enough space to get back around us. I had already hit my brakes and was making up my mind if I wanted to witness this or close my eyes... how they missed each other is anyone's guess but it was clear whose 'side' the oncoming car driver was on - ours. We gave him our sympathies and parted company.

From there it was a nice ride into Nantwich via Reaseheath and lunch followed suit at the marina - benches are always nice to see and the sunshine was great. The canal towpath was amazingly busy as was the canal and I was really glad we were not cycling along it!

IMG_0045.JPG

Lunch stop & a handy bench in the sun

IMG_0046.JPG

Over view from the bench - this is the Shropshire Union Canal.

IMG_0050.JPG

Somehow I managed to get a quiet moment on the canal in this picture!

IMG_0049.JPG

I have no idea why this horse sculpture is here or what it signifies...

Soon after lunch, we needed a stop... the usual suspect and whilst I was climbing back out of the undergrowth a roadie stopped to check we were OK :blush: I was in the process of pulling up my leg warmers and 'getting comfortable', so muttered comments about a convenience stop which brought a wry smile. We chatted for a few moments, wished him safe riding (roads were still very icy which had taken him by surprise) and went our separate ways.

IMG_0052.JPG

A converted windmill we came across.

From here we crossed over the A49 without issue - it was surprisingly quiet and carried on into unknown territory for us. The 'magical mystery Garmin tour' as it is often known... though we have been known to ignore some instructions/directions such as one earlier in the day when it complained that I went around a large roundabout in the UK style rather than against the flow of traffic!

We found a castle further on, it may have not known it was lost, be it is now safe.... and we also found a hill around Bickerton, not to mention the only club riders we saw today... though they very nearly got taken out by a car trying to overtake them right at the really bad point, just when there was an oncoming car... it was all we could do to stop the car (that was in the right)... We had paused at the top of the hill to take some photos.

IMG_0053.JPG

It was the whisk that caught my OH's attention! I was actually trying to work out how to get the photo below!

IMG_0058.JPG

One thing I have not yet mentioned is that every time we found an uphill section my OH decided to sing a little ditty (related to :birthday:) Why he decided to sing it only on the uphill sections is anyone's guess - he's weird like that. I had even tried weighing him down with a pannier but it makes little difference to his climbing ability (he is the sprinter of us 2, I am the endurance side of life - on longer rides than today, I will end up with the pannier by the end of the ride to help him out!). He also has to sing it x many times - that being my age... (don't ask, its a very long story...)

From here, my OH decided he needed another pit stop, so having found a handy side road I stood in the sunshine and waited for him whilst he climbed in/out of some woodland... Whilst I was waiting, standing in the sunshine, in the middle of said junction, a car came along. No issues, I moved out of the way, but then she stopped and checked that I was OK! Talked about surprised! I nodded and gave her a thumbs up wondering whether she had spotted my OH in the woodland :eek: thankfully I have now trained him to leave his hi-viz jacket on his bike :laugh:!

Then home through various towns and villages and into Delamere Forest where some weary legs were not interested in the climbs we still had left... nor were they particularly interested in the oncoming cars who thought they could bully said cyclist off the road - they didn't win which amused one or two mountain bikers putting bikes on their vehicles. I have to say, I am really glad that we didn't do our usual Sunday ride in Delamere Forest - it looked stunningly busy even as the sun was setting (or disappearing behind an ever growing cloud bank over North Wales - the next batch of rain is clearly on its way...)

46 miles or so on icy lanes but a lovely day was had by all. http://www.strava.com/activities/102614169

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
First ride in about a month :blush:...lovely and bright, just a slight nip in the air with frost still on the verges, a modest ride from PBoro, up alongside the radio towers at Morborne, along to Folksworth, Yaxley, Farcet and back.
Approaching one field..ooh, a Red Kite about 30 ft away from me, just taking him in...ooh, there's one sat on a boulder about 15 ft away, that boulder turned out to be a dead deer (I think)...the Kite took flight:wacko:..and I inspected a deer with torn out sides. The Kites hovered about but not close enough to get photos that were worth posting.
Plenty of Fieldfare out there, first ive seen them this winter, but there again, I havnt really been out much.

20 miles, shade under 14mph average, very slow by old averages, legs felt tired in the last 5 miles, but good to get out there again.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my ride today was not very scenic at all , but in all fairness it was 30 mins of pushing myself quite hard on the turbo tour of the garage and back

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 24 mile loop here today via the supermarket in Newmarket as once again our cupboards were bare. Managed the final 19 miles with a fully laden bike, complete with a few days worth of supplies, (including most importantly 4 bottles of wine^_^). It certainly made carrying the bike up and down the steps on the bridge over Burwell Lode interesting.

The frost stayed all day in shady places here, which seemed weird as in the sunshine it felt very warm.

No pics today and only one idiot- a boy racer half wit, between Exning and Burwell who roared past at about 80mph with inches to spare. I hate that section of road as it always seems to attract the imbeciles. In Summer there's a nice car free bridleway alternative but it's impassible in winter due to mud sadly.

Then out onto the fen. Didn't see a soul for over an hour which was perfect, and the highlight of the ride was two barn owls and a short eared owl hunting on Burwell Fen at dusk. On home through Swaffham Prior and sadly back to rejoin the human race. Sometimes I feel like staying well away from it altogether! A four hour ride in total, (including a supermarket stopover)- not bad for a miserable old duffer. :thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was lovely and :sun:out today but quite cold. Thanks to copious quantities of vin rouge at my cousin's last night I didn't get out until after lunch (don't know how much I had as everytime I put the glass down anywhere it magically refilled:cheers:), however I did feel surprisingly energetic so decided to get in my last Long Mynd ride of 2013.

I opted for the shortest route: Condover, Longnor, Leebotwood and climbing up through Woolstaston and High Park. The ride out was straightforward but was against the wind (it usually is going that way) so not fast. At Leebotwood I found the first bits of frost on the edges of the road and with everywhere being wet it made me take a bit of care, which was just as well as there were several sections higher up which had been polished by traffic and were too slippy to stand on let alone climb on. Fortunately the middle of the lane was grippy so I was able to continue with care.

While climbing I'd noticed something up ahead. What is that? Runner? Cyclist? I couldn't be sure until I got up on to the plateau where I caught up with a runner pushing a child in an off road push-chair. She asked which way I was planning to head down and did I think The Burway would be okay?:ohmy: I had to be honest and say I didn't know what it would be like and that I'd seen it in a very dangerous condition in the past.

Edit: forgot to mention the group of 4x4 enthusiasts up at Shooting Box - I couldn't help thinking they were brave. 2 Willy's jeeps and a Series 1 Land Rover - all open top. At least I was generating a bit of warmth - they must've been frozen.:cold:

I headed up to the summit (Pole Bank) next where there was a fantastic view and the setting sun gave the clouds a lovely glow. A bank of cloud was approaching from the south-west, but I didn't give it much thought.

Time to head back - I briefly toyed with the idea of trying The Burway and went as far down the road as Boiling Well, but thought better of it. I knew High Park was icy, but also knew how much ice and where it was, whereas any icy patches on the Burway would be a surprise.

At the top of the High Park road I met another cyclist who'd just come up and wanted to warn me how bad the road was. He seemed a bit deflated when I said I already knew and was going to risk it anyway. (If you're on here - I do appreciate the intention.:thumbsup:)

The descent was okay. I slowed right down in good time for each icy patch and had no slips or slides. The bigger problem was the cold as descending I wasn't generating any body heat. I had to change to full finger gloves for the first time this winter.

With the wind behind me it was a much easier trip back. Unfortunately the cloud already mentioned was bringing rain with it and the first few spots fell not long after passing Leebotwood. I was however able to just keep ahead of it and didn't get too wet.

29.4 miles today at 10.5 mph average (not quick, but there was a lot of climbing).

DSC02328.JPG

The Pound Inn at Leebotwood - a thatched pub dating back to the 15th century.

DSC02329.JPG

Looking at The Lawley on the climb from Leebotwood to High Park. This road rises over 1000 feet in approx 3 miles and it'll be over 1200 by the summit.

DSC02330.JPG

Made it to the top of the climb. It would have been with no stops since the last picture if not for the ice almost fetching me off.

DSC02331.JPG

Looking down Carding Mill Valley to Church Stretton.

DSC02334.JPG

At the summit and looking towards the Gliding Club (there was a glider up) and a bank of cloud rolling in surprisingly quickly.

DSC02335.JPG

Knockabout bike, trig point and the Wrekin lurking in the mist in the background.

DSC02337.JPG

Heading back the way I came. The camera hasn't really caught it but the light had quite a magical quality.

DSC02338.JPG

At Ryton on the way back. Rain is falling over the Long Mynd and I'm only just keeping ahead of it.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It was lovely and :sun:out today but quite cold. Thanks to copious quantities of vin rouge at my cousin's last night I didn't get out until after lunch (don't know how much I had as everytime I put the glass down anywhere it magically refilled:cheers:), however I did feel surprisingly energetic so decided to get in my last Long Mynd ride of 2013.

I opted for the shortest route: Condover, Longnor, Leebotwood and climbing up through Woolstaston and High Park. The ride out was straightforward but was against the wind (it usually is going that way) so not fast. At Leebotwood I found the first bits of frost on the edges of the road and with everywhere being wet it made me take a bit of care, which was just as well as there were several sections higher up which had been polished by traffic and were too slippy to stand on let alone climb on. Fortunately the middle of the lane was grippy so I was able to continue with care.

While climbing I'd noticed something up ahead. What is that? Runner? Cyclist? I couldn't be sure until I got up on to the plateau where I caught up with a runner pushing a child in an off road push-chair. She asked which way I was planning to head down and did I think The Burway would be okay?:ohmy: I had to be honest and say I didn't know what it would be like and that I'd seen it in a very dangerous condition in the past.

I headed up to the summit (Pole Bank) next where there was a fantastic view and the setting sun gave the clouds a lovely glow. A bank of cloud was approaching from the south-west, but I didn't give it much thought.

Time to head back - I briefly toyed with the idea of trying The Burway and went as far down the road as Boiling Well, but thought better of it. I knew High Park was icy, but also knew how much ice and where it was, whereas any icy patches on the Burway would be a surprise.

At the top of the High Park road I met another cyclist who'd just come up and wanted to warn me how bad the road was. He seemed a bit deflated when I said I already knew and was going to risk it anyway. (If you're on here - I do appreciate the intention.:thumbsup:)

The descent was okay. I slowed right down in good time for each icy patch and ha no slips or slides. The bigger problem was the coldas descending I wasn't generating any body heat. I had to change to full finger gloves for the first time this winter.

With the wind behind me it was a much easier trip back. Unfortunately the cloud already mentioned was bringing rain with it and the first few spots fell not long after passing Leebotwood. I was however able to just keep ahead of it and didn't get too wet.

29.4 miles today at 10.5 mph average (not quick, but there was a lot of climbing).

View attachment 35170
The Pound Inn at Leebotwood - a thatched pub dating back to the 15th century.

View attachment 35171
Looking at The Lawley on the climb from Leebotwood to High Park. This road rises over 1200 feet in approx 3 miles.

View attachment 35172
Made it to the top of the climb. It would have been with no stops since the last picture if not for the ice almost fetching me off.

View attachment 35173
Looking down Carding Mill Valley to Church Stretton.

View attachment 35174
At the summit and looking towards the Gliding Club (there was a glider up) and a bank of cloud rolling in surprisingly quickly.

View attachment 35175
Knockabout bike, trig point and the Wrekin lurking in the mist in the background.

View attachment 35176
Heading back the way I came. The camera hasn't really caught it but the light had quite a magical quality.

View attachment 35177
At Ryton on the way back. Rain is falling over the Long Mynd and I'm only just keeping ahead of it.

Excellent pictures as always phil. Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom