Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Whilst riding out last night I got a text from little bro asking to meet up for a ride this morning. I told him the roads were (and still are) very icy, so a flat pootle it would be for me, no massive hills/descents. So I got my gear ready last night and woke in good time this morning to get ready for the 08:00 start.

Opening the shed and deactivating the alarm with it's usual beep set the neighbors dog off - oh well, when I'm up everybody's up. Quick check of pressures front and rear and a blast of track pump air and the bike was ready to go. Clicked the Lezyne lights in front and rear and wheeled the bike to the front garden.

By this time bro had arrived and was man-handling his Trek Madone of of his Ford Focus - 'Bit chilly huh?' I mumbled.

'We must be crackers' ........he agreed.

The roads and ground were white over with frost and a lingering freezing fog clung to the low lying areas, but a clear blue sky above visible through the murk promised at least a thawing of it and a clearing of the fog given time.

Lights on and clipped in we set of gingerly down my road, avoiding any sharp movements - I told bro about wheel spinning out of a junction on ice the night before, and not getting any purchase for the first two pedal strokes - just me, clipped in, wheel spinning - going nowhere.

Into the village we rode, passed almost immediately by a chelsea tractor that set off the 30mph warning signs.....in thick fog. They just don't give a stuff about anyone and sod the consequences.....

Turning right in the village we made our way past the church and onto the country lanes heading east. I could really feel the chill, so settled into a quicker tempo to get the blood flowing and the limbs warmed up. A mile or so of gentle climbs/descents we rose up out of the fog to be greeted with a beautiful misty lanscape.
20140112_082354.jpg

We now headed south towards Beverley into the rising sun that was tempered slightly by the low-lying mist. Grip-wise the roads weren't too bad as long as you rode anticipating the conditions and avoided obvious wet/puddly/icy patches and stuck to the white frosty parts of the road. All in all the ride wasn't that bad, and I never had any moments - I stuck to the old mantra brake gently/accelerate gently/turn gently and it paid off.

After a 3 mile loop to the south we headed east again, now towards Tophill Low nature reserve, once again on deserted, reasonable condition, single track roads. A few areas of 'off camber' on the road had to be accounted for and eased past, but all in all, not too bad. A few miles later we turned north, and with the sun on our backs we headed to Driffield. A car passed little bro with an element of impatience, but I already spotted their game and took primary till a safe passing point 50m ahead. Bro's relative inexperience allowed the car to come alongside and past him on a singletrack (icy) road. There was no way I was giving my position away till the (safe) passing point, and the driver would have to wait.

It was getting lighter now, and dog walkers were out carrying their little bags of treasure. We met a couple and said hello, also making sure the dog was under control before passing, as a getaway on ice is not on the cards. They were amazed that we were out on bikes, and it must be dangerous/cold/too far.....ya di ya di ya....... I told them no it wasn't, it wasn't, and it wasn't..... I must have missed the lesson at school where such negative thoughts were drummed in to people..?

Now past Cranswick we made reasonable pace to Driffield via Skerne. a few cars past us, but they all did so in a safe manner that got them a cheery wave in thanks. A brief stop in Driffield to go to the bank then we retraced our steps tracks in the frost back to Skerne and Cranswick. Although I finished my first drinks bottle in good time - albeit a little slushy, and the nozzle needed thawing out between my lips, it was too late for the second one which was by now frozen solid...

Then came the one near-miss of the ride, and this year so far. Riding down into Cranswick from Hutton there was a car edging it's way out of a drive. They had to stop for a ped, but once the ped was past they set off into the road - right into my path. 'Whoa!", I shouted....... and it had the desired effect, I remained upright and not sprawled all over their bonnet.

Fueled up on unexpected adrenalin the next half mile to the cafe flew by. Rolling to a stop at the bike park, the re-assuring smoke wafting out of the wood burner chimney in TJ's Cafe meant we were in for a cosy breakfast. The 'Cyclists Welcome' sign at the gate all the more reason to be there.

2 large breakfasts a large coffee and a large hot chocolate rewarded our appetites/efforts, as did the free table right next to the blazing log stove. A couple of old dears at the next table were amazed we'd cycled there, even more amazed when they found we'd ridden 25 miles to get there too (not far, but hey ho).

Fully sated and back on the bikes we immediately felt the chill, so a couple of sprints to get warmed up were reluctantly (and not over-successfully) employed. I doubt Mark Cavendish goes for a sprint straight after a full English.....

A short pootle over the low hills and we were back at the start point.

A nice, cold, but thoroughly enjoyable 29 miles......Not to mention the Lincolnshire sausage, beans, 2 eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast........
20140112_102951.jpg

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
dam sure was :cold: this morning the sun tried to get out but the fog won that battle found a road all iced up decided best head home for coffee and stay safe karon was a brave girl
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/428560214

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You did the right thing, I took a drop just outside of Cobham on my way to Box Hill. In the time I was there recovering, so did two others but they hadn't got to us so a bit sorry we couldn't warn them.
In the end i went out at 10.30 for a cold 22.9 miles, 17 . summat mph average so 3 mph down on the average in summer .
Still own the KOM on a section from April last year so i am happy :smile:
Frozen puddles at the side of the road and a big patch of ice where water had leaked across the road where some roadworks were.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Wooton Wawen the destination, 56 miles the journey, got up to bright blue sky's and heavy frost, my road and the cars on it white with frost, once I was out and in the countryside the roads weren't too bad, heavy frost with the occasional frozen puddle to catch out the unwary, the only road that was bad was the little lane between shelfield and wawensmere, I had a close encounter with a fox just outside Hasley Knob, seen him twice the second time he ran off down the side of a pond amid a chorus of alarm calls, by the time I got to the cafe it had clouded over. came out the cafe to a grey overcast day, most of the frost and ice had gone, just the odd patch to catch you out, climbing out of Lowsenford I had to walk at one point, ice on the road and no chance of riding round it or over it, not whilst climbing hard on the fixed, it started to drizzle at that point and did so all the way home making it a wet end to the ride, another good enjoyable winter fixed ride, I now have a computer on the bike that does average speed and was slightly disappointed to only average 14mph, but this time of year its maybe not bad.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
was about just over half the distance and about 12% faster on moving average than y'days. Very grey with a cold stiff breeze at times. Was glad to hit 20km and turn for home. Went off-road, one of the major roads into town from the SE is completely shut and the detour is unpleasant (NSL DC) as I found out y'day, or very lengthy and unpleasant (rat run NSL country lane), onto a sustrans type route. Slicks and fixed and a big wet downhill. Turned out to be fine.

mooseracer

Guru
Out on the mtb with a friend this morning. Chilly and grey, ice and mud. My feet covered in mud and like the aforementioned ice by the time we got back. Passed a couple, one of whom had fallen off on some ice - stopped to check she was ok (despite sitting in the road holding her arm like she'd broken her collarbone she claimed she was...). Took it a little more carefully after that!

20 miles, mixture of on and off road.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One of my usual riding partners called in sick last night so it was a choice of staying indoors and doing bugger all cursing the fact that I didn't get my lazy arse out on a ride, or get my lazy arse out on a solo ride. Ianrauk jnr decided to wake up at 5.30am today and proceeded to wake the whole household too. So thought bugger it. Get up and get out there on the bike. I looked at the outside temperature and it was showing minus 1 degree. Looking out the window and the cars were all covered in a heavy frost. Never mind, the weather report said that it would be a nice sunny clear morning and I am well versed in the art of cold weather riding. Zero degrees is not that cold when you are cycling.

After much faffing about and much tea and toast I got out of the door at 7.15am. I decided to head for Ashford via the hilly Pilgrims Way (Hollingbourne Hill is a killer). Still dark and a bit crunchy underfoot. I would have to take it very easy until the frost melts. So on my way and deciding to throw in a long drag of a hill straight away to get the blood pumping. At the top it was sheet ice so had to hop off and walk carefully round it.

The sun was soon up and it was turning into a very bright sunny morning. The going was a little slow though due to the amount of ice and muck on the lanes from the previous weeks storms. This was not going to be a clean bike and rider ride. Soon reached Hollinbourne Hill. As I said, it's a killer hill. One that lures you into a false sense of easy climbing security, as half way up, you think you are there, you round the bend and it ramps up....and up. My lack of fitness and my heavy, mudguarded commuter bike made it very hard work.

The lanes were getting muddier as the frost and ice was melting and the ups and downs were taking their toll. It took me 45 minutes more to get to Ashford then usual.

A nice sausage sarnie, a apricot swirl, a can of coke and a cup of tea at the station soon perked me up and I was on my way back home. I could have gone back the way I came but decided to go back via the flatter route. Hoping that all the flood water that I wrote about on my last ride had drained away. It seemed to be the case but once again, the lanes were very muddy. Nearing Yalding which suffered from the worst of the flooding, I asked another cyclist coming from the direction of Yalding if it was now passable. He said yes, so Yalding it was to be.

Going through Yalding village, you could really see the devastation that the floods had caused to household and shops. I don't think there was one house in the main street that wasn't effected. Outside every house was a pile of furniture, carpets, white goods, TV's, clothing and much more. It was terrible to see the mess the floods had caused.

So on with the ride, the sun had now dissapeared under a blanket of gray and white cloud. As I climbed higher onto the greensand ridge the roads and lanes became less muddy and I was able to pick up a little more speed. It didn't take long to tackle the last 25 miles to home from Yalding, stopping briefly at the top of Pollhill ridge to stuff my face with a small bag of crack Haribo.

So, 101 solo miles for the day, 2nd century ride of 2014 and century 106 over all. Yet again a very mucky bike and rider. But a very good ride never the less.

I'm so glad I got my lazy arse out on the bike in the end.

The Quintain on a frosty morning in Offham
2014-01-12 08.55.53ss.jpg

Sun up on the Pilgrims Way
2014-01-12 08.18.12ss.jpg

The rolling lanes of Kent
2014-01-12 09.55.20ss.jpg

The waterfall at West Malling
2014-01-12 09.04.37ss.jpg

Post box on the Pilgrims Way
2014-01-12 08.29.10ss.jpg

Halfway DinDins.
2014-01-12 11.40.22ss.jpg

Well I cycled down this lane expecting all sorts.. but was a little disappointing that there wasn't anything at all lewd going on
2014-01-12 12.41.37ss.jpg

Some of the devastation at Yalding
2014-01-12 13.40.32ss.jpg

And a map of todays ride.
120114.jpg

42 mile ride to and from the west end of Glasgow using the Clyde cyclepath. Very frosty here again this morning so waited until about 11.30 before setting off. This was the 1st time I'd ridden the Clyde cyclepath for over and year and I was glad I had taken my cyclocross bike. The path had obviously been flooded by the river in various places over the past couple of weeks as there was a lot of mud, sand and debris on the path as well as a few icey puddles just for good measure. I went into the cycle-friendly café (Phoenix?) on Woodlands Road for a coffee and a nice piece of carrot cake. Then it was back home the way I came. Did my good deed for the day on the way home by helping a young lady fix a puncture - her partner didn't have a clue how to even get the rear wheel off.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Urban ride today, innit!!

I had to pick up a new chain from t'other side of town for the road bike this morning due to an 'administrative error' ie: cockup by Halfords yesterday as is wasn't there as promised when I went to collect it at my local branch.. However, I digress.
I headed towards Duston but dropped into an old part of town, Dallington, I've not ridden through before (I've lived here for about 20 years!)

DSC_1271.jpg

This is just inside the top ring road and must have been a hamlet away from the town before it grew! Beautiful local Northamptonshire stone houses..

After picking up my new chain, continued my anticlockwise circuit of Northampton and thought that as I was in no hurry today, I'd get a few pics of different bits of the town.

DSC_1278.jpg

This is known as the Northampton Lighthouse and can be seen from the M1. Terry Wogan (remember him?) used to mention it regularly. It was the test tower for Express Lifts and was going to be demolished when the company closed but it was saved and is now surrounded by new housing.

DSC_1274.jpg

Living up to its name after a fire over Christmas, Red Hot is no more. Shame really, it served good food from all over the world. Bit burnt now though :whistle:

The cycle paths pass between, over and under the Grand Union canal and railway lines and are quite picturesque if you like 'urban scenery'. I do, actually. It's as interesting as the out of town scenery, but in a different way.

DSC_1279.jpg

DSC_1281.jpg

DSC_1286.jpg

DSC_1287.jpg

And not forgetting the brewery in the town centre..

DSC_1288.jpg

I felt the need for tea so headed for a relatively new stop called 'The Outpost' beside the Skate Park beside the River Nene. I've not been there when it's been open before, but will certainly stop by again!

DSC_1290.jpg

£1.20 for a pot of tea? Bloomin' heck! Not seen that price for many a year! Food's cheap as well but I must have a chat next time I'm there to suggest a good lockup point for bikes, though most would sit outside to drink/eat anyway.

DSC_1298.jpg

21 miles by the time I got home, but several enjoyable chats with fellow cyclists on the way round..

http://www.strava.com/activities/105776865

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom