Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My ride today was in a trailer attached to a tractor. It was the only way out of work as the river burst its banks. We all had to leave early and pile in the trailer to get us through the water before it got even higher.

Got covered in god knows what but at least i didnt get marooned at work.
The like is for telling us about it :thumbsup: rather than for being flooded out or getting covered in god knows what.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My ride today was in a trailer attached to a tractor. It was the only way out of work as the river burst its banks. We all had to leave early and pile in the trailer to get us through the water before it got even higher.

Got covered in god knows what but at least i didnt get marooned at work.
Goodness! :hugs:
It has not stopped raining since 1872 here, but our river Clyde does not seem to give signs of rising.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
16km to Stone.Very very windy & very very wet.

A bloke was flogging pre-loved Arks in genuine gopher wood at Noah's Boatyard in Acton Trussell.:rolleyes:

My recently Nikwashed & Nikwaxed Vaude wind&waterproof jacket* performed marvellously as did my Sealskinz sox & gloves

*my favourite cycling coat purchased in 1992.Mega money at the time but has proved to the most VFM of any cycling coat I've ever bought.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Ive never had so much fun on my bike than today. Absolutely manic out there this morning - very windy and alot of storm damage! My wife thinks im crazy for going out! Second outing on my new bike – really impressed with it, handled the wet roads and debris well!

I counted 6 BIG trees down. Had to climb thru one & duck to get under another. 2 Flooded roads which I walked thru – Didn’t want the bike getting wet. The water came upto my knees.

Nearly got blown off my bike – I got blown onto the other side of the road very lucky there were no cars coming & that I didn’t fall off.

By the time I got home I was soaking & in need of some sugar!! Hardly anyone else about not even around Box Hill. Cant wait for tomorrow mornings ride!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/113404518

(Sorry not sure how to upload bigger photos!)
20140215_094532.jpg 20140215_094537.jpg
20140215_082632.jpg 20140215_103448.jpg

Woke up expecting Armaggedon but it was actually quite bright, just the occasional snow/rain shower, certainly not the heavy rain forecast. It was a bit blowy but that wasn't as bad either, the local weather station broke at a 56mph gust but there was quite a strong permanent wind (30mph+), so the gusts weren't too damaging; there was a few branches down and just one tree on route. We reversed our normal route as ee wanted to stop @ a cafe that didn't open til 10am, we were 20mins early but they let us come in :-)

http://www.strava.com/activities/113393802

D

Deleted member 1258

The Market Bosworth battlefield cafe the Destination, 56 miles the journey, a frosty morning cold with bright sunshine, early on some of the lanes were frosty with frozen puddles and the low bright sun was making it difficult to spot the frozen puddles, but it soon warmed up, I nearly collected a pedestrian in Monks Kirby, a yell and a swerve dealt with it, caught by another rider coming into Broughton Astley and sat behind him till I turned for Sutton In the Elms, he caught me again the other side of Croft and his first words were "how did you get here", I had to explain about the path I'd used, I got into Desford and instead of the right turn towards the roundabout I turned left and did some unplanned rough stuff then headed for Kirby Mallory, between Kirby Mallory and The Battlefield I was passed by several groups of club riders including the medium paced veterans group the was my regular ride for years, I got on the back for a couple of miles but got unhitched at a junction and couldn't get back on, the fixed is slightly undergeared at the moment, 19-20 mph is about a 100rpm cadence and with the group moving at 22-23mph I couldn't spin fast enough to get back on, came out the cafe to a headwind, where did that come from, so the ride home was a bit of a grovel into the wind, but its been a good morning, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. When I got home I noticed a corner of my front garden was looking colourful
P1010559.JPG

Cyclamen I think, planted by the previous owner and always the first plant to flower at the end of the winter, the flowers only open when the sun's shining, its nice to see a bit of colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
56 miles this morning down to Lanark via the Clyde valley road and home via Coalburn aka 'the land that time forgot' and Strathaven. Quite a hilly route with just under 3500 feet of climbing. Weather was cold bright and sunny with quite a stiff NW breeze. A few patches of ice in the back roads but main roads were all ok. Now out for a curry with the wife and daughter.

Just back from a rather warm bike ride (started the ride at 8C and peaked at 12C, no wonder I was removing layers!). Managed to muster my OH in to a bike ride this morning, and set out on the 'usual sunday run' route for the road bikes. I wanted him to check the front derailleur work I had done during the week and we have decided to give Delamere Forest a miss for another week - other local riders are reporting rather too many trees down and still needing to be cleared.

Life got off to the usual start - asthma playing up, so it was clear it was going to be a slower ride but with blue skies and sunshine and warmth there was no issue in a slower ride. It has been a while since I have seen so many riders out and for once almost all of them were in a good mood and returned our hellos.
Only really one notable incident and that was at a staggered crossroads where we were turning right of the main road and a 4x4 was turning right onto the main road only because of the oncoming vehicles and the stagger of the junction, it was her right of way by the time the road was clear enough for anyone to do anything, anyhow, I wasn't sure I had seen what I saw first time around so hesitated, at which point she used her vehicle to block the road and waved us across! She got a big smile and thank you - and to be honest, given her vehicle and how expensive and clean it was, it had been the last thing I was expecting her to do!

A little later on my OH and I both had an attempt at running over the same squirrel as it shot across the road in front of us, another cyclist coming up from behind even commented that he wasn't sure how either of us had missed it! Personally I think it had a suicide wish - it could have just stayed on the otherside of the road!

Lunch followed at a quiet spot and then a wander home via the national cycle routes - how come when we cycle these routes we always feel like we are going in the wrong direction with the shear numbers of cyclists going the other way?

Closer to home and it was good to see that despite the local council closing my 'incident' down as "not a pothole" when I reported 2 grids where the slats were horizontal to the curb, they have actually been and replaced all of the grids along that section of road with new diagonal grids covers and more to the point actually sorted the tarmac out around them so each and everyone is nice and smooth. :thumbsup:

Once home, we found a friend waiting for us on our 'doorstep'. His owner is in hospital at the moment, and given the warmer weather today he had been turfed out for some fresh air (this is the normal routine for him)... We were very enthusiastically greeted.

IMG_0182.JPG

http://www.strava.com/activities/113697794

I managed a trip out on the bike, the first one for ages due to the weather and my aversion to the cold. I cycled over to my Parents at Nisbet, about 17 miles as I went the scenic way. Sunshine and snowdrops all the way. I stopped briefly just below Fatlips Castle (yes, it really is called that!) for a photo. It is an old fortified dwelling designed to keep the reviers out. (no offence to our own User9609 on here:hello:). I got a lift back home, as my Brother is over from Northern Ireland and wished to borrow my bike for the week. I rode my Genesis Altitude over, leaving me with my Dawes Galaxy should I manage to get out again. Now back home :cuppa:

2014-02-16 12.13.24.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Out for the Polocini Flat White ride from the coffee shop. Over 100 riders registered. The day started with porridge and coffee outside the shop. Rolled out after 9 and rode with a couple of other lads. Route went out to Alderley edge and Mobberley before looping back to Alderley Edge where the lumps started. Out through Mottram St Andrew and a loop round for Birtles Climb.

A welcome feed station stocked with water, orangina, flap jacks and bananas. Quick bite to eat and a water refil before seting of for Prestbuty and Adlington. Next climb was up towards Potts Shrigley before turning for Poynton. Final kick in the goolies with the Vale Road climb at Chadkirk Chapel.

Roads were a mixed bag today, some flooded, some very muddy, others full of pot holes.

Arrived back at the coffee shop for fabulous stir fied noodles and a coffee. 53 mucky miles done.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A mate and I got out on the road bikes today.. Strange that was loads of lycra buzzing around the lanes. Where were they last Friday morning when the wind was blowing and the rain was beating down? Oh, at work, l know :thumbsup:

We rode a route I've done once before but most of it was new territory for Bob.

IMG_20140216_153409.jpg

Up past the old ruined house and on to Sywell and Orlingbury. There's some nice ups and downs from Broughton over to Loddington and more hills on to Scaldwell and into Brixworth. My usual stop there is closed on Sundays so we popped into Pitsford for a light snack
IMG_20140216_153641.jpg

and a bucket of coffee.. The place was heaving as expected on a decent sunny Sunday. We decided to check out Pitsford Cycles and have a chat with the lad that works there. Bob has got his eyes on one of the bikes there.

IMG_20140216_153511.jpg

It's the one on the left in this pic. Not sure of of the model but it'll cost £1500 plus his bike traded in.

IMG_20140216_153559.jpg

l was quite partial to this one but on checking my plastic bag of coins, I was £8,987 short so left it for another day :laugh:
Anyway, onwards past the reservoir and into Pitsford village then 5 or 6 miles towards Moulton where we split up and went our different ways to home.

IMG_20140216_153725.jpg

A pleasant 32 miles in sun with little wind for a nice change. It was 0c when we started but up to a balmy 10c at the end!

http://app.strava.com/activities/113690217

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Last night I was telling @gavgav that I intended to go and do a metric century today. While I was getting ready and checking the local travel reports the situation in the north of the county looked a bit iffy (still floods and trees down on some of the minor roads apparently), so I decided to opt for a route I was confident wouldn't be flooded and headed for the hills again.

Today's route was out towards Pontesbury and Minsterley before climbing up over the Stiperstones (first time I've ridden up here :thumbsup:) via Snailbeach and Stiperstones village. Next I headed down to The Bridges and Ratlinghope before climbing onto the Long Mynd and up to Pole Bank. Finally I headed back down the Burway to Church Stretton and back via Acton Burnell and Condover.

After Crossing Lyth Hill I was on the A49 for a very short section and needed to turn right to Exfords Green. I had streams of traffic coming up behind me but one driver noticed me looking back and guessed I wanted the junction so held back to let me turn right. Thankyou Mondeo driver!:bravo:

Being a Sunday the traffic was light around Pontesbury and Minsterley - this was very nice as the two villages have more than their fair share of fast and agressive drivers. No trouble today though which was nice.

There were quite a few other riders about, most being friendly:thumbsup:, and on the section after Minsterley I had my only overtake of the day.

The climb up to Snailbeach and Stiperstones is a long and relatively steep one. I deliberately selected my lowest gear to keep my legs as fresh as possible for the later climbs and was very glad that I had. On the approach to The Bog (yes that really is a place name) a group of mountain bikers turned on to the road in front of me. I caught them quite quickly and was considering how to pass them (as they were taking up the whole road) when they turned off again. Further up the climb they emerged on to the road again but were much more spread out this time and obviously struggling with the steepness of the climb. I got a comment of "you're not nearly muddy enough" when overtaking the one group.:laugh:

They caught up at the top where I'd stopped to have lunch and take in the view of the Stiperstones (the actual stones this time). A couple of Red Kites were hunting nearby which was a fabulous sight. I've taken a photo but all you can tell from that is that it's a bird of some sort.:rolleyes:

I moved on again as I was getting cold stood still and headed down to The Bridges - they seemed to be doing a good trade at The Horseshoes:thumbsup: (Aston Martin parked outside - very nice) before heading on the climb up onto the Long Mynd from the Ratlinghope side. There seemed to be an off road driving event going on which I couldn't see but could hear.

My legs were feeling it a bit now so the climb to Pole Bank was slow but steady. Great views today as it was fairly clear and the snow capped mountains of Snowdonia were visible in the far distance.

Heading back down the Burway I thought I'd get hassled by a BMW that was following, but instead left them behind. Not everyone likes this road with its unguarded sheer drop. I shouldn't be surprised really - we usually get 1 person a year who manages to drive off the edge.:ohmy:

I had the wind behind me now so the trip back was nice and swift. I realised that my mileage was going to be less than 40, so took the longer route (plus a turn round the village) to get it up to a nice round figure.^_^

40.1 miles at 10.8 mph average, which I know isn't fast but given the amount of climbing today I'm pretty happy with that.

DSC02549.JPG

The Stiperstones Inn (and tourist information centre) at Stiperstones. These are old mining villages - the area being notable for lead mining right back to the Roman age.

DSC02551.JPG

Looking back down the valley I've just climbed. They aren't clear in the image but from here Stiperstones, Snailbeach and Minsterley were visible.

DSC02554.JPG

Up near Shelve, the scenery becomes a lot more wild looking.

DSC02557.JPG

As high as I'm going on the first climb and looking up at The Stiperstones. Time for lunch.

DSC02560.JPG

On my way again and looking towards my next destination - The Long Mynd.

DSC02562.JPG

Just past the cattle grid on the climb up from the Ratlinghope side.

DSC02565.JPG

Up at the summit - Pole Bank and looking back to the Stiperstones.

DSC02570.JPG

Top of the Burway and time to get a portrait of the bike, same as I've done with the other one.

DSC02571.JPG

Descending the Burway. Isn't it a long way down?

DSC02572.JPG

Pausing for a bit of traffic to come up. This gives an idea of how wide (or not) the Burway is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom