Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Thanks all. i will write up my ride tomorrow. recovering nicely. just very sore.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
59 miles round trip to pick my schlumpf mountain drive and ride into Manchester to get headset tightened under warranty,

The last twenty miles were hellish...either I'm going cold turkey for my Tramadol or I'm coming down with a bad cold....I think it's the Tramadol coz my elbow is hurting and making weird clicking noises and jerking...:smile:

G3CWI

Veteran
IMG_1557[1].JPG IMG_1554[1].JPG
Feeling a little better today so here is my account of yesterday's ride.

Set off on a short expedition to spot and report potholes on the route that I hope to commute along in a month or so. The first one was huge and while already marked by the LA is well overdue a fix. I reported it again. A short part of the route passes along the busy A536. Pulled onto this with no problems followed it for about 500m and prepared to turn right. Took the primary and all was well. Moved towards the centre of th road and, with a break in the oncoming traffic, I accelerated to make the turn. The bike skidded out from under me and I fell very heavily on my righthand side in the middle of the road.

Cars both ways stopped and asked if I was okay. Being a man and also being pumped up with adrenalin (from the accident) I tried to make out that I was okay. I sat by the side of the road for a few minutes and assessed my situation. By this stage I was shaking and in considerable pain. Cycling home was not an option. I tried to get my phone out of my back pocket and this was so difficult that I began to suspect a broken bone in my shoulder. I started to ring my wife but half way through the painful process of dialling, I decided that on balance I needed an ambulance with medically trained professionals - not my wife.

The ambulance arrived in less than five minutes and agreed that they were the correct people to call as they could see me slipping into shock and in considerable pain. They put the bike into the ambulance, laid me down and off we went. As I live opposite the hospital this was all very reassuring.

To cut a long story short, the consultant told me of how he had had to certify a few cyclists as dead who were not wearing helmets. The radiographer was a keen cyclist himself and regailed me of the story of a road biker he had x-rays who broke his neck coming off second-best in a fight with a pothole (along with telling me about his own carbon bike). It appears that I was lucky, just badly bruised and shaken.

On arrival home I unpacked the bag with my gear in. My jacket is filthy - covered in black slime which must have contributed to the slip. Most sobering was my helmet. I have no clear recollection of banging my head but the evidence is clear.

I feel pretty lucky!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
View attachment 19676 View attachment 19675
Feeling a little better today so here is my account of yesterday's ride.

Set off on a short expedition to spot and report potholes on the route that I hope to commute along in a month or so. The first one was huge and while already marked by the LA is well overdue a fix. I reported it again. A short part of the route passes along the busy A536. Pulled onto this with no problems followed it for about 500m and prepared to turn right. Took the primary and all was well. Moved towards the centre of th road and, with a break in the oncoming traffic, I accelerated to make the turn. The bike skidded out from under me and I fell very heavily on my righthand side in the middle of the road.

Cars both ways stopped and asked if I was okay. Being a man and also being pumped up with adrenalin (from the accident) I tried to make out that I was okay. I sat by the side of the road for a few minutes and assessed my situation. By this stage I was shaking and in considerable pain. Cycling home was not an option. I tried to get my phone out of my back pocket and this was so difficult that I began to suspect a broken bone in my shoulder. I started to ring my wife but half way through the painful process of dialling, I decided that on balance I needed an ambulance with medically trained professionals - not my wife.

The ambulance arrived in less than five minutes and agreed that they were the correct people to call as they could see me slipping into shock and in considerable pain. They put the bike into the ambulance, laid me down and off we went. As I live opposite the hospital this was all very reassuring.

To cut a long story short, the consultant told me of how he had had to certify a few cyclists as dead who were not wearing helmets. The radiographer was a keen cyclist himself and regailed me of the story of a road biker he had x-rays who broke his neck coming off second-best in a fight with a pothole (along with telling me about his own carbon bike). It appears that I was lucky, just badly bruised and shaken.

On arrival home I unpacked the bag with my gear in. My jacket is filthy - covered in black slime which must have contributed to the slip. Most sobering was my helmet. I have no clear recollection of banging my head but the evidence is clear.

I feel pretty lucky!
Good report of a scary incident. I'm glad it was no worse than that.:thumbsup:

I suddenly feel very lucky to have got away with my slide, although there are some odd aches today from how I twisted.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Solo 40miles for me which included 2500ft of climbing.

Winter miles,summer smiles or something like that :biggrin:

just a quick 'sprint' up to Warrington along the A49 to collect my iPhone which one of my OH's work collegues accidentally picked up and taken with him after visiting us last night to borrow a pannier rack... 37km there & back... I have no idea what time my OH does it is, but it will been faster. nothing to report except the timely arrival of an oncoming police car stopping a 2nd lorry passing me too closely!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
First ride out on my new Rapid 4- loved it- newest bike I've ever owned and managed a solo 19.7 miles with 1700 ft of climbing, need to get used to road gearing now but what a bike- I'm currently a very happy bunny right now :biggrin: (did I mention I was chuffed with my new bike?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom