Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I managed to get out on my first ever Christmas Day ride.:santa: Just a shortish one as family were coming round later.

The route was the reverse of Christmas Eve's (well, more or less) and I set out into a cold and crisp morning. With the roads practically empty I elected to use them rather than the path I'd normally be on. It makes a big difference being on a smoother surface and not having to slow for every side road and an extra consideration this morning was that the roads were gritted and the path wasn't - I could see there was a good film of ice on it. Very glad I wasn't riding on that!

Once into town I headed through The Quarry. The river has just encroached onto Victoria Avenue so there was a very small flood to ride through. Leaving the town centre via Smithfield Road and passing the now defunct prison I came to Sydney Avenue which contrary to what I expected had flooded overnight. I almost certainly could have ridden through, but decided not to risk it as I don't particularly want to ruin another pair of shoes.

At Uffington the weather turned against me :rain:for the third ride in a row. Naturally it only came on at the point when it would be just as far to go back as to carry on :wacko: but it was only light so not a big deal.

At Atcham the first shower had blown through revealing somewhat heavier rain following on in its wake :rain::rain:, so it was quite a wet run through Condover and up the A49 (which was surprisingly busy) to home. The rain stopped a couple of minutes after I'd got home.:wacko:

Plenty of people passed and greeted. There were a few people out on bikes - some clearly brand new and having their first short run and a couple who like me were getting out to get some miles in.

18.7 miles at 12.6 mph average.

DSC02297.JPG

Down in the Quarry. Unlike in many other parts of the country this is pretty much as high as the water is expected to get this time.

DSC02298.JPG

Shrewsbury Gaol (known locally as The Dana). It closed earlier this year so there's no one at home this Christmas.

DSC02300.JPG

Sydney Avenue - I think I could get through but I really don't want to be trying to dry out shoes on Christmas Day if I'm wrong. I'll go around this time.

DSC02301.JPG

The flood plain at Atcham.

DSC02302.JPG

En route to Condover. The spot on the lens gives away the fact it's raining pretty well. You can't tell in the photo but there was a covering of snow on some of the higher hills.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cheeky little loop Glossop - Marple Bridge - Mellor - New Mills - Hayfield - Glossop. Only 26km, couldn't do more due to family commitments despite v good weather. Bit frosty at first so some wheel slip on the steeper bits made me ease off, soon thawed out and there were loads of folk out walking. Only a few cyclists mind you.

That's probably it for this year. Mega windy forecast and then we're off to Edinburgh for NY. Managed the 4,000 mile target....just

Strava reckons I burned about 850 cals, which is probably about half my cheese consumption yesterday so I am still in heavy fat debt

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back from 8.33 ride from my home to the N&N hospital to meet the hubster from dialysis. It was grey and missy when I went out but bright and sunny on the way home (I drove as Hubster feeling iffy).

There is barely any climbing on this route as its generally downhill starting at 164' above sea level and finishing some 110 feet lower. Its my feel good route is this. The traffic seemed to be back to normal. Some numpty in a Saab decided to pass me really really closely. Maybe he wanted his kids to see how to pass cyclists? because wiping out a cyclist with 3 small kids in the back would be a lovely treat for them, would it not. The rest of the traffic was much better though. Saw 4 other cyclists out today and lots of runners, absolutely tons of runners - well over a dozen out and about. Working off the mince pies no doubt.

I have now got 1250.4 miles on my yearly tally, which is appalling really but that's life. I have extended my target by 25 miles on my goals tab on mycyclelog or whatever its called. If it howls it down with rain for the next week I shall bring it back to 1250 again :laugh:
My bike is covered in mud, it looks a right fright, so its in the bath and has been hosed off with the shower attachment. Hubster feeling ill so doubt that he has noticed. As long as he doesn't want a bath in the next half an hour or so, I will get away with it.

Just back from a really icy ride on the mountain bikes. We woke to find frost on our car - this is the first time in 18 months of living here that this has happened, and after the ice and fun of the back lanes yesterday, the decision today was simply which bikes and how far. My OH wanted to try again at the Delamere Loop. Its a 22 mile loop around the less than flat Cheshire lanes & bridlepaths, so mountain bikes it was. Last time we tried to do it was almost 1 year ago (tomorrow) and we failed because we ran out of daylight.... This time we took lunch with us and set off much earlier.

It ran into problems from the word go - seriously hard work for me, and a tree down blocking the Whitegate Way made for a slightly interesting detour.

IMG_0019.JPG

Further on and my OH needed the first of many pit stops, so I decided to put some air in my bike tyres! The front was well below ideal pressure for cycling on tarmac or hardcore and most of the route is exactly that. Whilst I was pumping up the front tyre, a cheeky robin came and sat on my front wheel, but all I could do was watch it, knowing the slightest move and it would be gone!

Then we had a slight navigational mis-direction, but decided on a freelance approach of 'let's see where it goes to'. Amazingly it worked and we soon returned to the Delamere Loop that we were trying hard to follow.

IMG_0021.JPG

Not where we are meant to be - perhaps we should explore some more at some point?

From there it was a play with mud game for a few minutes, tyres no longer at suitable pressures :wacko: so the bike handling was all over the place and much to my OH's relief he found a puddle that he could break the ice on by cycling through! It made such satisfying crunching sounds that I followed suite :laugh: .

Around Outlon Park, we came across a vehicle that had gone straight on - shame the road didn't. Yet another driver caught out by the ice.... Thankfully this one had only dug a deeper hole in a ditch, rather than removing large sections of hedgerow.

Lunch followed soon after when we came across a lovely green grass in a sheltered spot in the sun. Too good an opportunity to miss on a dead-end road...

IMG_0030.JPG

Oh hell, she's at it again.

IMG_0026.JPG

The scenery was looking quite nice today.

After lunch we knew we had several long uphill sections, not to mention one really muddy bridlepath uphill section that is shear murder.... Unfortunately I collected some debris in my rear derailleur at this point and it has been talking to me ever since! Then into park land and why is it so difficult. I even stopped to check both wheels were spinning freely - the only thing I ascertained was that they were, but my front suspension probably needs some pressure taking out of it - it is rock solid at the moment, but then I usually have it locked out anyway, its just sometimes I like to actually be able to use the concept - a job for another day I think.
There is a long drag into Kelsall and back out, the downhill is great, but lulls you into a false sense of hope and security. You have to stop at the very bottom to cross a road and it is a definite stop killing all momentum just in time for one of those climbs that today was only ever going to be a very slow low gear plod. Over the top and you cold see the estuary around Liverpool and Elsemere Port... but I was too happy to see the downhill to stop and take any photos, it meant one thing, I could give my aching legs a slight rest!

Into Delamere Forest and back to dodging walkers, dogs, kids on brand new bikes and there comes this request from my OH for me to stop and take a photo... that means only one thing - he needs another walk into woodland...:whistle:

IMG_0031.JPG

The excuse to disappear into woodland.. And ice well into the afternoon.

Then a quick 'dash' home following the Delamere Loop as faithfully as possible. One or two hair raising moments as the choice between ice or puddle had to be made because of a car (I chose the puddle, my OH the ice! :wacko: we both survived) and then onto a part of the Delamere Loop we know is going to be exceptionally muddy, exceptionally icy and where you just have to aim to keep the front wheel in front of the rear wheel and let gravity take over... I think I only swore outloud the once as the gravity tried to take the rear wheel faster than the front, but held it upright and made it... Home at last. Knackered...

IMG_0038.JPG

Bike dirty - sorry about the muck on the lens - not sure how that happened.

IMG_0042.JPG

Bike 'ride' clean rather than 'showroom clean'.

All done and we now have a gpx file of the Delamere Loop.... http://www.strava.com/activities/101994236 and I have another QOM despite being so knackered - not sure how that has happened at all!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It had to be done. I've not been out on a bike since completing The Way of The Roses coast to coast ride at August Bank Holiday. My Woodrup was upstairs in a spare bedroom and I couldn't face bringing it down while trying to avoid any marks on the wallpaper. I retrieved one of my other bikes from the garage, pumped up the tyres and set off for a ten mile ride to near Bramhope and back to reintroduce my legs to pedalling. I ended up doing twelve and a half miles in an hour, a pleasant surprise.

1497730_10152119825363330_1906799496_n.jpg

72305_10152119825518330_944170257_n.jpg

940833_10152119825733330_934696246_n.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another short loop today after a lazy get up and before lunch (turkey - wasn't expecting that. ;)). It gave the ice time to melt a bit as well.

I went on the short version of my Acton Burnell loop this time as it's sort of flat and the first thing that I noticed was that 3 wet rides in succession doesn't half make your legs feel tired.:giggle: Once I'd ridden a couple of miles into the headwind they eased though and I enjoyed a pleasant if slightly cold ride.

I passed a few cyclists, mostly more serious looking ones (well, apart from the guy in the Father Christmas hat ^_^) who were all friendly, which was nice.

The main road didn't seem too busy today, but the lanes were - everyone is going out for a walk, run, horse ride or just a bit of a drive after their festive indulgences it appears.

After Acton Burnell, dark cloud started to gather ahead of me.:blink: I surely couldn't be unlucky enough to have 4 wet rides in a row could I?:rain: Well, yes and no is the answer. It did rain but only very lightly and not for very long . I can cope with that.

As is usual, at Longnor I turned away from the wind which gave a nice bit of assistance back through Ryton, Condover and up the A49 to home. Just one nervewracking pass when I needed to move over slightly to avoid a sunken drain cover to find a Freelander 2 already comitted to passing with the absolute minimum amount of space to spare.:ohmy: Looking across, the driver looked as shocked as I was - not malicious, just poor anticipation.

17 miles this trip at a slightly better 13.6mph average

DSC02304.JPG

It's come out a bit dark because of looking into the sun, but it's a crisp, bright winter's day. No sign of the snow that was on the hills yesterday.

DSC02305.JPG

Another 8 miles down the road and I can't believe it - shower clouds rolling across the hills towards me.:rain::cry:

DSC02307.JPG

The Longnor junction and about to turn towards home with the wind in my favour.

Last edited:

Linford

Got out this afternoon for a ride around the area. I stopped after a few miles to take a couple of pics with my phone of my funky new water bottle (another gift from my nearest and dearest) and then Strava crashed out :sad:

1503768_10152077829198704_1834805330_n.jpg

Not the end of the world and I set it going again, set off towards Bishops Cleeve, and then up through Woodmancote and onto Gambles Lane towards the Rising Sun Pub which is a bit steeper than my regular ride and typical of all these country lanes up on to the hills (covered in mud, dead leaves and slippery (gateway half way up)

1492803_10152077858513704_1669743881_n.jpg

1502120_10152077921508704_1996628698_n.jpg

About a 1 in 4

1479830_10152077871388704_1600909308_n.jpg

954464_10152077871548704_1075410717_n.jpg

A few cars came past going up, got caught just in front of me by others coming down, and then struggled to get started again.

1492986_10152077874123704_1925723309_n.jpg

I coasted on down the hill road (Cleeve Hill) which is a surprisingly horrible surface texture on 700c 23 tyres, and as I descended realised that the light levels off the hill were getting quite poor, I got passed further down towards Prestbury village by what looked like an R3 Cervelo rider (unlit and dressed all in black) who seemed to either be in a tearing hurry to prove himself, or realised he was a total twonk for spending over £3k on a bike and omitting to spend an extra tenner getting some lights to avoid someone hitting him off it.

Tacked across through Charlton Kings and then on towards Leckhampton Hill which is my hill regular ride.

Ran back through to Hatherley and then back into the town centre through Montpellier

(one of a Spesh Tandem who's owners were vanishing into one of the pubs as I pulled up ( @srw )

1533418_10152077981248704_1641916606_n.jpg

Even the furniture shops are posh up this end

1543829_10152077980048704_56861482_n.jpg

By the war memorial outside the Queens Hotel

1502092_10152077979373704_859554620_n.jpg

So much time must have gone into the architecture i days gone by, and so few people bother to look up at it as they walk past the shops.

1488613_10152077984138704_411345126_n.jpg

glad the didn't tear all this down to rebuild some nasty concrete box like they did further down the Promenade to the slab sided frontage of Cavendish House in the 60's (to the left)

1508403_10152077996813704_1782266576_n.jpg

And then I ducked home :biggrin: (all in, about 20 miles)

vernon

......and it'll carry lots of pies :smile:

It has pie pockets...

vernon

Got out this afternoon for a ride around the area. I stopped after a few miles to take a couple of pics with my phone of my funky new water bottle (another gift from my nearest and dearest) and then Strava crashed out :sad:

1503768_10152077829198704_1834805330_n.jpg

Not the end of the world and I set it going again, set off towards Bishops Cleeve, and then up through Woodmancote and onto Gambles Lane towards the Rising Sun Pub which is a bit steeper than my regular ride and typical of all these country lanes up on to the hills (covered in mud, dead leaves and slippery (gateway half way up)

1492803_10152077858513704_1669743881_n.jpg

1502120_10152077921508704_1996628698_n.jpg

About a 1 in 4

1479830_10152077871388704_1600909308_n.jpg

954464_10152077871548704_1075410717_n.jpg

A few cars came past going up, got caught just in front of me by others coming down, and then struggled to get started again.

1492986_10152077874123704_1925723309_n.jpg

I coasted on down the hill road (Cleeve Hill) which is a surprisingly horrible surface texture on 700c 23 tyres, and as I descended realised that the light levels off the hill were getting quite poor, I got passed further down towards Prestbury village by what looked like an R3 Cervelo rider (unlit and dressed all in black) who seemed to either be in a tearing hurry to prove himself, or realised he was a total twonk for spending over £3k on a bike and omitting to spend an extra tenner getting some lights to avoid someone hitting him off it.

Tacked across through Charlton Kings and then on towards Leckhampton Hill which is my hill regular ride.

Ran back through to Hatherley and then back into the town centre through Montpellier

(one of a Spesh Tandem who's owners were vanishing into one of the pubs as I pulled up ( @srw )

1533418_10152077981248704_1641916606_n.jpg

Even the furniture shops are posh up this end

1543829_10152077980048704_56861482_n.jpg

By the war memorial outside the Queens Hotel

1502092_10152077979373704_859554620_n.jpg

So much time must have gone into the architecture i days gone by, and so few people bother to look up at it as they walk past the shops.

1488613_10152077984138704_411345126_n.jpg

glad the didn't tear all this down to rebuild some nasty concrete box like they did further down the Promenade to the slab sided frontage of Cavendish House in the 60's (to the left)

1508403_10152077996813704_1782266576_n.jpg

And then I ducked home :biggrin: (all in, about 20 miles)

Some great photographs of your cabling. Could you wrap them in tinsel next time for extra visual interest? :thumbsup:

Linford

Some great photographs of your cabling. Could you wrap them in tinsel next time for extra visual interest? :thumbsup:

You mean the wires for the CREE T6 light battery which has to come off regularly to charge it up ? you're right, I can't be arsed to route them more than a couple of loops under the stem:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom