Your thoughts on this frame please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm looking at this Carlton frame on Ebay, I don't think it is anything special, but I have a load of spare parts so I wouldn't have to source too much to get it on the road. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Carlton-Frame-and-Forks/153959743020
Worth £50 any day, I'd say early/mid 70s (still got the 'wrapover' rear stays but has a built in gear hanger) quite a nice frame with those lugs.

midlife

Guru
Well, that's an odd one. It has Flyer style cutout lugs but wrapover seat stays. Under BB routing and top tube cable guides but huge clearances around the wheels and a large fork rake. and the odd style of rear dropout hanger.

A real mix of old and new lol. Plump for an old carlton flyer which has had the touch of a brazers torch for 80's add ons .....

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well, that's an odd one. It has Flyer style cutout lugs but wrapover seat stays. Under BB routing and top tube cable guides but huge clearances around the wheels and a large fork rake. and the odd style of rear dropout hanger.

A real mix of old and new lol. Plump for an old carlton flyer which has had the touch of a brazers torch for 80's add ons .....
Yep possibly, although my 67 'Clubman' had an under BB gear cable (there's a braze on under the rear chainstay by the mech) it still has the exposed rear brake cable run along the side of the top tube.

midlife

Guru
Yep possibly, although my 67 'Clubman' had an under BB gear cable (there's a braze on under the rear chainstay by the mech) it still has the exposed rear brake cable run along the side of the top tube.

That's unusual, Carlton lagged behind when it came to "under the BB". My 83 Carlton Pro still has guides on the top of the BB. the first major manufacturer to go under the BB was Holdsworth in the late 70's.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's unusual, Carlton lagged behind when it came to "under the BB". My 83 Carlton Pro still has guides on the top of the BB. the first major manufacturer to go under the BB was Holdsworth in the late 70's.
Ooops yep you're right, the rear cable stop is on top of the chainstay, I was confused because I'd fitted an under BB guide for the front mech when I converted it to a 'Double Clanger'

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Hard to say exactly what this model is, a Clubman is a good bet... it’s not a Grand Prix for sure. Lugs are not Crespera either. Clearly been refinished at some point, built in hanger shows it could be a better than average frame. A frame number would really help. There are a few things which don’t look 100%, inc that rear cable stop on the rear stay. The supplied pictures don’t help much. If it stays cheap could well be worth it, but if you want a ‘named’ model with some originality I’d leave it.

midlife

Guru
Ooops yep you're right, the rear cable stop is on top of the chainstay, I was confused because I'd fitted an under BB guide for the front mech when I converted it to a 'Double Clanger'

View attachment 528863

You were not alone lol. BITD when we upgraded to a "double clanger" (love that phrase), we threw the cable under the bottom bracket. There were no guides available in those days and we just threaded the bare cable over the paint . Seemed to work ok :smile:

Back to the OP frame, Flyer lugs were only used on 531 and not Tru-Well so underneath should be a nice frame :smile:

Top Bottom