Your thoughts please ... Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 on eBay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjburley

Hi,

I need your opinions on this bike that's advertised on ebay at £3,299.00 - do you think the asking price is fair? Any other thoughts relating to it would also be useful:

Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 Super Light -Size 61 cm

New Reduced price - £3299

NEW / ex display -Bike Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 Super Light
size 61cm
Bike Size Rider Height Rider Height (cm)
6' - 6' 8" 183 - 200 cm
sport geometry team frame
weight of bike without pedals = 6.02 Kg

upload_2014-6-12_9-48-2.png

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
How does it compare to the new one at £3500?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/Tarmac-SL4-Comp-Di2-Road-Bike-2014/2LA6?wmp=230

Or this at £3000

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/Tarmac-Expert-SL4-Di2-Road-Bike-2013/1KES?wmp=230

I'm guessing the s works writing makes some difference?

Is it a shop selling it? The ad isn't clear, especially the call after 5pm, even though it says new, ex display? What was the list on that one?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nice bike!

I assume that you are very tall? Despite what the blurb says, I think you'd probably need to be 6' 3" or taller to need a bike that big. I am 6' 1" tall and ride 58 cm bikes and know several other riders my height who do the same.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How does it compare to the new one at £3500?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/Tarmac-SL4-Comp-Di2-Road-Bike-2014/2LA6?wmp=230

Or this at £3000

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/Tarmac-Expert-SL4-Di2-Road-Bike-2013/1KES?wmp=230

I'm guessing the s works writing makes some difference?

Is it a shop selling it? The ad isn't clear, especially the call after 5pm, even though it says new, ex display? What was the list on that one?
its the sworks vickster - where as all the ones you've listed are the standard sl4's - it basically uses lighter carbon and is a lot stiffer than the standard sl4's

vickster

Legendary Member
So what was that bike new? Hard to know whether a good deal. I'd also want to know who's selling it. I wouldn't spend that much on anything from a private ebay seller myself

jowwy

So what was that bike new? Hard to know whether a good deal. I'd also want to know who's selling it. I wouldn't spend that much on anything from a private ebay seller myself
i would say around 5k ish new - all according what the spec is really

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The s-works uses a higher grade carbon and is constructed using FACT IS methology. FACT IS is specialized's most advanced carbon construction method. By separating the frame into four large monocoque structures—head tube/top tube/down tube, seat tube, seatstays, and one-piece bottom bracket chainstay—this method allows the carbon fibers to run continuously from tube to tube, offering advantages in weight, stiffness, and strength.

Non s-works frames use a lower grade carbon and are Triple Monocoque which is a balanced approach to frame assembly that minimizes seams and redundant materials. The main triangle, chainstays, and seatstays are each created as a single monocoque structure and then joined together at the dropouts, bottom bracket, and seatstay/seat tube junction using aero-space adhesives and a final carbon wrap.

vickster

Legendary Member
And now in English? :biggrin:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would personally take the SL4 sport over a S-Works SL3 as it features a lower head tube as such is more aggressive and ready to race. The SL3 feels gentile and relaxed by contrast. The SL4 sport is built using improved production techniques as such is actually stiffer than the S-Works SL3. It also features internal cabling.

The SL3 superlight was released in 2010 and is the exactly same frame as all other S-Works bikes of the time, they just used less lacquer which resulted in a tiny weight reduction.

There is no way that bike is 6.02kg without pedals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pjburley

Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Yes, i'm tall, just over 6ft 4 so will need the 61cm frame.

Thanks MR H, I think I'll give the SL3 a miss. I found it interesting that you'd take the SL4 sport, currently £1600 over a bike that cost a lot more 4 years ago. I guess things have moved on in that time. It does look pretty cool though!!

I've been riding a Specialized mountain bike but feel like getting back on the road so my knowledge is pretty poor. I'm going into my local bike shop tomorrow to have a chat with them and check out some bikes.

jowwy

I have the SL4 Tarmac sport that Mr H has referenced and it is one hell of a machine when paired up with the right wheels.

The bike is just so quick, stable, sharp, but not overly aggresive in its set up.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@pjburley

I know that you have decided to give that SL3 S Works a miss & I think that is a good call.

The seller has provided a Massive height range recommendation there & it is I suggest impossible for the same frame to fit someone of 6ft 0 to 6ft 8, rather, I think he has tries to widen his target market surreptitiously.

I won't offer advice,as, other than a liking for the Venge I know too little of the brand beyond technical specs.

Mr H is your ally here, a veritable master of Specialized witchcraft.

Top Bottom