Your very first bike, purchased or built ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

My first adult bike was a Moulton which my parents bought new for my 13th birthday (1967). It was a lovely shade of green with cream coloured front and rear cargo racks. Front coil spring and rear rubber monobloc suspension were standard. The bike met an untimely end under the front wheels of a car when it was knocked over whilst propped up against the kerb outside the local paper shop. I was inside getting my papers ready for delivery.

The Moulton was repaired (nay, bodged) by a local mechanic but was never the same again and I soon traded it for my first racing bike - a Falcon with Benelux derailleur gears.

Big T

Guru
I have a memory of having a 3 speed straight bar BSA when I was about 10. I’m not sure what happened to it, I probably outgrew it.

My first road bike was a Carlton Ten, bought in early 1974. My dad paid just over £40 for it and had to buy it on hire purchase. It had a Steel 531 frame, chrome rims (lethal in the wet), steel 10 speed cottered chainset, and Huret gears, a Brooks leather saddle. Here is an example (not mine). Lovely bike once the wheels were upgraded to alloy rims.

IMG_0173.jpeg

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

I was twelve and we had been posted to RAF Germany. My father bought a men’s bike from a German shop it had a back pedal brake, a heavy frame, spanner to strip it all down, carrier, wheel lock and dynamo lights all as standard, it was a bit of a Panzer. We arrived from UK and as he had bought a new car (purchase tax free) I was given this huge bicycle. It was too big for me even with the saddle lowered but I survived and as most kids had one learnt to do the most awesome skids with the back wheel locked.

As part of a family in the army, we to was posted out to Berlin in Germany from the uk in the late 60’s. Can’t remember having a bike back then. Can’t grumble as I have two beautiful bikes now 😍

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

I have a memory of having a 3 speed straight bar BSA when I was about 10. I’m not sure what happened to it, I probably outgrew it.

My first road bike was a Carlton Ten, bought in early 1974. My dad paid just over £40 for it and had to buy it on hire purchase. It had a Steel 531 frame, chrome rims (lethal in the wet), steel 10 speed cottered chainset, and Huret gears, a Brooks leather saddle. Here is an example (not mine). Lovely bike once the wheels were upgraded to alloy rims.

View attachment 712757

L

View attachment 712757

oh I remember those front lights. Back then the police were very strict on lights/ brakes and mud guards. I got pulled for taking off my full mud guards and putting on the little 8” alloy ones 🤣

OP
OP
CAESAR AVGVSTVS

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

My first adult bike was a Moulton which my parents bought new for my 13th birthday (1967). It was a lovely shade of green with cream coloured front and rear cargo racks. Front coil spring and rear rubber monobloc suspension were standard. The bike met an untimely end under the front wheels of a car when it was knocked over whilst propped up against the kerb outside the local paper shop. I was inside getting my papers ready for delivery.

The Moulton was repaired (nay, bodged) by a local mechanic but was never the same again and I soon traded it for my first racing bike - a Falcon with Benelux derailleur gears.

I had my motorbike ran over in exactly the same way 😂

Top Bottom