Your votes please, for my college

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Hi all,

As some of you may know, I teach a furniture course at college.

We were entered at the last moment into a woodworking competition with voting online.

Could you please visit http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/article.asp?a=6172 and vote for my college? Our first year students designed and created the table and chairs in picture 'E' in only a day so you just need to vote 'e' to help us out.

The themes were either 'tea and biscuits' or 'night and day'. We entered for the 'tea and biscuits' with two tables and four chairs made from giant size 20 jointing biscuits (those who work wood will know) and some turned mugs with biscuit handles.

Some of the other pieces are prettier but they all have previous experience of the competition where as we were a last minute stand in.

Thank you very much.
smile.gif

Cheers, link fixed now, thank you.

naff link NT

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
on a related note - my friend has just started a woodwork course - it's a short course and is making a small tiny wooden chest. In terms of recommendations as to what next, what would you suggest as he's interested in pursuuing it professionally.

I voted 'e' - which is the one I would have voted for anyway! I might have tried to somehow illustrate the diamond pattern on the face of the biscuits...bit of texture, or have one holding big lumps of timber together...maybe a bit of 'fake' PVA exuding somehow.
Nice work - the settle to bed doesn't appeal to me at all.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thank you.

We were a last minute entry and my first years didn't have much time to come up with a design and we didn't know what level or standard to expect. The other colleges are much better known for their furniture course then we are.

Also we made more pieces then the others did and had an hour to spare on a shorter day.

I am very proud of my students' efforts however the voting goes but the giant tea cup is very pretty though. I wouldn't mind that in my own place if I had room to avoid tripping on the saucer.:ohmy:

Ours do work and we had loads of people sitting on the chairs where as the others were 'do not touch'.:hyper:

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Aperitif said:
I might have tried to somehow illustrate the diamond pattern on the face of the biscuits...bit of texture,
Thanks.

We were given a different plywood to the stuff we ordered. We wanted spruce ply as we could have textured it better but the hardwood faced was just splintering.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Spinney said:
Voted as ordered, sah!

The teacup is good, but I would trip over the saucer too!
Thanks, Yeah, it is more of a please vote for us regardless of which you really like.:sad:

We are really under dogs in this and are hoping to make some sort of positive impression. I think we did really well for the lack of preparation time.:smile:

Top Bottom